Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Surprise allocation, finishing touches on build freeze in two weeks

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 05:37 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts
Default Surprise allocation, finishing touches on build freeze in two weeks

Champagne problems to be sure, but it's been one hell of a ride for me the past few months as a Porsche-file.

The TL;DR version, I had a deposit on a 992 GTS last November but changed my mind after a couple months that I would just rather have a Boxster GTS 4.0. Having had a 981 BGTS and a 991.2 previously, I just decided that the 718 4.0 cars are just too close to perfect to justify $50k more for a 911. So I placed another deposit with my local dealer and got the process rolling in early March- I was going to still take delivery of the 992 just knowing what they're worth and that I was getting it at MSRP... but ultimately decided against it, just deciding to wait it out for the Boxster. Many people (including my friends) more or less called me an idiot for passing on the opportunity to basically drive a 992 GTS for free for a few months.

Well, the universe rewarded me with a text from my SA last week, just a couple weeks removed from me handing over my V200 on the 992 with a couple weeks left before freeze date- with a V200 on a Boxster GTS with a couple weeks before freeze date. I don't have too many details about the origins of this allocation aside from a suggestion that my dealer is prioritizing local buyers. It also may help that I have bought a Macan S with many options and aftermarket packages through this dealer previously, and have serviced all the 5 other Porsches I've had there for the past several years. Needless to say this was very good news and I've been pretty euphoric since hearing the news.

The freeze date is July 6th, and I'm almost locked in to this build here:

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PPU71WW0

I am still just a bit leery about essentially getting Arctic Grey sight unseen... but I was going to do that with the 992 as well with Adventurine Green. Still, there's not even many reference pictures on the internet of Arctic grey, aside from the thousands of press shots and videos of the GT4RS. But my logic persists that I've had a Carrara White 981 BGTS, a black 718 BGTS, and a Carmine Red 991.2... and my wife refuses to let me get Shark Blue or Python Green. It's really kind of down to getting a color I've already had, Chalk, or one of the "AGs". Agate is, to me, the most boring color ever on a Porsche (sorry!). Adventurine doesn't look as good on a 718 as it does on a 992, IMO. Neither does Chalk, but it is still tempting... Arctic Grey it is then! I do really like the red accents from the GTS interior package and the calipers. I would almost consider Aurum wheels but the pics in the configurator just don't quite do it for me... although I've seen some shots of the Cayenne GT in Arctic Grey with Aurum wheels that are mouthwatering...

Other knick knacks I'm still pondering over:

- Porsche logo in satin black. I was sold on this before having it not painted on my current black 718 GTS. I think the contrast of the lettering looks cool... maybe on darker colors? Still on the fence...
- Smartphone compartment. Seems like a complete waste, but am I missing anything here?
- Dashcam wiring. Sounds like a huge pain alleviated, as I'd have to pay a shop to do this anyway. Sounds like it's just plug and play with Porsche's own dashcam... has anyone else spec'd this, and how is it?
- Power steering plus. My current 718 has this, my 981 did not. I don't think I notice a difference... except it seems that the 718 (with ps plus) has a more pronounced "acorn" effect. I think I'll leave this off but still curious if maybe I'm just not attenuated to its advantages
- Aluminum pedals. Seems like I could address this through the aftermarket; I've seen that Numeric has their own pedals I'd want to investigate as well. I haven't seen pictures or impressions of them outside of the configurator. They're relatively expensive so would want to know they're at least an upgrade before ticking the box.
- Carbon fiber steering wheel. Appears to be a no-cost option, at least when selected with the premium package which for me is a must-have. Haven't seen one in person, anyone have impressions on using it? I've had this steering wheel in several cars, and had the alcantara in my 981 (sport wheel). I like alcantara but my wife hates it. She wins, but for me it's leather vs cf, and cost isn't a concern... I'm leaning carbon but just wondering if anyone thinks it sucks lol
- Considering just ordering an extra set of wheels and tires for winter. Has anyone done this via configurator? I'm also strongly considering buying aftermarket wheels and using the stock wheels for winter. Or I can get away with just mounting all seasons on the stock wheels during the winter months, and maybe cup2s during the summer months. I'm open minded here but just wondering if there's any particular advantage to adding the winter wheel and tire package at order time.

That's pretty much it for now... TYD is kind of a mess right now but I did at least catch a peak that delivery was at least scheduled at some point for late August (almost exactly the same time that 992 was supposed to get here!). I'm ok with it slipping as I didn't think I'd get this car til as late as next fall, but cautiously optimistic I'll be able to actually get some late summer drives in!
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
AlexCeres (06-24-2022), Translog (06-27-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 05:41 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Pics for reference:

The following 3 users liked this post by manifold danger:
FRIZ (06-23-2022), JBM718GTS (06-23-2022), StormRune (06-25-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 06:01 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,184 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Congrats! I think arctic will pair very nicely with red accents. I would put silver wheels on it for sure (but that's just me), and no cell phone compartment or power steering plus. If I had a do over, I'd add the nav too for all the features you get that are unmentioned.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 06:28 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Pics for reference:

That car NEEDS yellow calipers. They're only $8,000.
AlexCeres (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 06:40 PM
dichael
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 76 Posts

@SpyderSenseOC - Funniest post all day!
SpyderSenseOC (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 06:47 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
That car NEEDS yellow calipers. They're only $8,000.
Funny story- I'd get them if they were available. Can't even spec them.
SpyderSenseOC (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 07:30 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,738 Likes on 846 Posts

Not a fan of the CF trim to be honest. It best suits the GT4 but even then it is a bit 2010. Painted in exterior color would be cool since your exterior color is muted. Brushed aluminum would also work. I went with leather on mine to essentially make it disappear.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaddMike:
AlexCeres (06-24-2022), Bearrun21 (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 08:56 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Not a fan of the CF trim to be honest. It best suits the GT4 but even then it is a bit 2010. Painted in exterior color would be cool since your exterior color is muted. Brushed aluminum would also work. I went with leather on mine to essentially make it disappear.
Not a bad suggestion, but I am a fan of the GTS package. This will be my third car with it.

CF is in everything now. I do like it, and I do agree it's quite a bit played out. We like what we like though.

The black brushed aluminum looks really good and is super compelling. I had painted in exterior color on my 911, which was carmine red. It actually looked pretty obnoxious in photos but not bad in person. That said, I would never spec it again in a bright color. I do agree it would probably look good in Arctic Gray... but I like the red accents.
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
AlexCeres (06-24-2022), MaddMike (06-23-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 10:31 AM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 337 Likes on 155 Posts

I've had the carbon fiber wheel in a 718, I didn't care for it. (It's just a weird blend of materials between the leather and carbon sections.)

Like a pervious poster mentioned, you should be able to change to painted interior trim and still keep your GTS interior.

I would eliminate PS-Plus and the aluminum pedals as well.

Congrats on your allocation.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:49 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 347 Posts

I have my 'Porsche' in satin black, really like the effect on a car which doesn't otherwise have chrome.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:26 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Funny story- I'd get them if they were available. Can't even spec them.
That sucks. I thought they were off constraint (or whatever Porsche calls it). Maybe just for the GT cars?
Larry Cable (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 12:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,454 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Ive seen Arctic Grey in person..

its a good color, but I think it depends on your tastes ... its very "subdued"
Old 06-24-2022, 01:29 PM
Rich M
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 37 Posts

Here are the options on mine, all of which I am extremely happy with:
Carmine Red

Roadster Top in Black

Leather/Race-Tex Interior in Black/Carmine Red

Tachometer Dial in Carmine Red

GTS Interior Package

Wheels Painted in Silver

Fire Extinguisher

Smoking Package

Light Design Package

Steering Wheel and Gear Lever in Leather

BOSEÅs Surround Sound System

Navigation including Porsche Connect

Voice Control

Storage Compartment Lid in Race-Tex with Porsche Crest

Steering Column Casing in Leather

Headlight Cleaning System Covers Painted in Exterior Color

Door-Sill Guards in Stainless Steel, Illuminated

I don't feel the steering is necessary having driven some now, and I second the comment about navigation - which I like. I couldn't get your configuration to open, but the two I don't think have been mentioned are:

Illuminated door sill guards in stainless, which I got because they give the full length guards that I like better. The configurator picture incorrectly shows them as the short oval style like standard.

Steering column casing in leather, which to my eye makes the dash area look nicer.

Last edited by Rich M; 06-24-2022 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-24-2022, 01:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,454 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
That sucks. I thought they were off constraint (or whatever Porsche calls it). Maybe just for the GT cars?
yeah I believe that PCCB are now constrained to GT and Turbo models only
Old 06-24-2022, 01:46 PM
Rich M
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 37 Posts

Oh, the free smoking package that covers the bin and gives a lighter. Not clear to me if you can use it for the battery charger (sure someone else knows);

Quick Reply: Surprise allocation, finishing touches on build freeze in two weeks