Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4RS rear diffuser aero fins

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 01:19 PM
eXstasy
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LWG
I have to admit when I first scanned over this thread I had it in my mind that I would be removing the diffuser. Took at look at it yesterday when my car was up in the air doing some other projects. Thought to myself these diffuser clips are going to be fun to access behind the exhaust heat shielding. Wasn't looking forward to it. Ran out of time, so left it for today.

Decided to read a bit and glad I did thoroughly. This modification took only 15-20 mins per side! So much easier than I was anticipating. I loosened 3 screws per side. I used the tape trick. Pushed the slat into place and made an outline with a sharpie. Marked off where the screw locations were after I taped up the bottom of the slat. Made markings and then simply found the center of the hole with quick measurements. Marked 3 holes. Spread the diffuser pieces as mentioned above and was easily able to screw them in myself. These pieces really finish off rear end!

@LWG Awesome pics, thank you for providing so much detail!

To confirm, it looks like you were able to drill through the outer piece only while the diffuser was still attached. You did not have to separate the outer diffuser portion from the inner skeleton before drilling? Any possibility to drill too far into it?
Old 10-19-2023, 01:45 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 635 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by eXstasy
@LWG Awesome pics, thank you for providing so much detail!

To confirm, it looks like you were able to drill through the outer piece only while the diffuser was still attached. You did not have to separate the outer diffuser portion from the inner skeleton before drilling? Any possibility to drill too far into it?

Correct the diffuser was not removed. Just use judgement on depth, You would know if you are in too deep.
The following users liked this post:
eXstasy (10-19-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 02:03 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by LWG
Correct the diffuser was not removed. Just use judgement on depth, You would know if you are in too deep.
If you don’t go full speed with the drill it’s easy to gauge if you went through one side or both.

That last sentence calls for ‘that’s what she said!’ comment
The following 2 users liked this post by sin911:
LooseNut (03-18-2024), mc3456 (10-20-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 08:49 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
If you don’t go full speed with the drill it’s easy to gauge if you went through one side or both.

That last sentence calls for ‘that’s what she said!’ comment
Conversely, you can just buy Drill Stop collars at Harbor Freight for less than $10. I picked a set up when walking through one day and they have come in very handy on a number of projects around the house. In a nutshell, they work kind of like the exhaust valve collars do but on a drill bit.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:33 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
Conversely, you can just buy Drill Stop collars at Harbor Freight for less than $10. I picked a set up when walking through one day and they have come in very handy on a number of projects around the house. In a nutshell, they work kind of like the exhaust valve collars do but on a drill bit.
you can also make a “flag” from a piece of masking tape. Drill until the tape hits the material that you’re drilling into.
IME the stops don’t stay put. But I’m sure it depends on the bit being used
Old 10-20-2023, 07:45 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 789 Posts

A piece of vacuum hose over the drillbit is a fool proof method.

Quick Reply: GT4RS rear diffuser aero fins