Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Any significant differences between Tarett and TPC toe links

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 05:51 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Any significant differences between Tarett and TPC toe links

I am planning on having an alignment done and figure I might as well get toe-links as well. Both TPC and Tarett are highly regarded. Other than the “pinch” locking mechanism on the Tarret, is there anything that sets these toe links apart from each other?

Thanks on advance
Old 11-01-2022, 06:17 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 347 Posts

Going from memory when I shopped a year or so ago: Tarett has the cool pinch locks, TPC doesn't (uses jam nuts), TPC has the cool offset inner monoball, Tarett doesn't. Back in the day, Tarett used generic language for the front and the rear about the bump steer reduction, but it applied only to the front. Might also be a difference in the spindle end, but don't have that one in my memory.

I went Tarett for my fronts, TPC for my rears, both work great so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by enduro:
Alan C. (11-02-2022), Underblu (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 06:20 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,551 Likes on 876 Posts

I choose the Tarett motorsports version one because that is what my race shop recommended because of that pinch locking mechanism.

One of my questions was, well the TPC one as the off-set for less dynamic toe change. I have quarried both my race shop I use and Tarett directly and asked that question and I have been told by both that the Tarret motorsport version indeed has that feature as well. Some say the Tarett morotsport version does not have that feature, others say it does. Which is accurate, I do not know.

I will say that with my MCS suspension set-up and my compression/rebound settings, I can stomp on the brake mid-corner and the rear does not want to come around at all and in a straight line it feels stable standing on the brakes. Having said that, it I loosen up the compression/rebound settings some, the rear does become more lively. I can't say which is better for stock suspension though. Also of note is that I am also running 2.2 mm per side toe-in, for a total of 4.4 mm for my rear toe setting.

Last edited by TRZ06; 11-01-2022 at 06:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Underblu (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 06:26 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 347 Posts

I didn't see the offset feature. When I queried Tarett back in the day, they said it was a copy paste from the text in their front tie rod listing, and the fronts do have a different offset for improved bump steer. I don't see how a different offset is generated with their rears. That said, prob won't make a gigantic difference in handling if you dial in the forum recommended toe.
Underblu (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 06:32 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enduro
I didn't see the offset feature. When I queried Tarett back in the day, they said it was a copy paste from the text in their front tie rod listing, and the fronts do have a different offset for improved bump steer. I don't see how a different offset is generated with their rears. That said, prob won't make a gigantic difference in handling if you dial in the forum recommended toe.

Yeah, I was a little suspect too, since there is no obvious design feature that you can see visually that would suggest there is any off-set there. In either case, for me it is a non-issue as I have aftermarket suspension and have it dialed out with springs and damper settings. I am not sure if anyone has done back to back testing of both units on stock suspension though.

Part of the issue IMO is the stock PASM's under damped rebound control. In either PASM suspension settings, the stock damping just does not control the rebound stroke well enough, so you get a large extension when you encounter bumps that raises the suspension , thus more toe change. Obviously though, that is road dependent.

Last edited by TRZ06; 11-01-2022 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:25 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 227 Posts

I have the TPC toe links. Couple of things. With my 19x11 with 50 mm offset wheels I still have to run a 5 mm spacer to clear the toe link. As far as the rear wiggle, I still have to concentrate on being smooth or I will still get the wiggle.
Old 11-01-2022, 11:09 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

The offset inner ball on the TPC toe links is quite visible and obvious. On my otherwise stock Spyder, I could immediately feel the improvement in rear end stability under braking with the offset toe links, even though I stayed with a near stock alignment initially. However, while the TPC toe links clearly reduce rear bump steer, it’s still possible to get a little rear wiggle under hard high speed braking on track, at least with the 12 minutes (0.2 degrees) per side of rear toe in I’m running. I’m talking about maximum braking from above 230 km/h on track, I haven’t triggered any rear wiggle anywhere close to street speeds. Perhaps increasing the rear toe-in further could fix this.
Larry Cable (11-02-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 11:27 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
The offset inner ball on the TPC toe links is quite visible and obvious. On my otherwise stock Spyder, I could immediately feel the improvement in rear end stability under braking with the offset toe links, even though I stayed with a near stock alignment initially. However, while the TPC toe links clearly reduce rear bump steer, it’s still possible to get a little rear wiggle under hard high speed braking on track, at least with the 12 minutes (0.2 degrees) per side of rear toe in I’m running. I’m talking about maximum braking from above 230 km/h on track, I haven’t triggered any rear wiggle anywhere close to street speeds. Perhaps increasing the rear toe-in further could fix this.
Yep. I only really notice it when threshold braking at places like turn 10a at Road Atlanta or turn 7 at Sebring. Road Atlanta is kind of a special situation since you are going downhill at 150 mph and braking down to 55-60 mph.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:07 AM
edub
Pro

Received 330 Likes on 181 Posts

Curious if these little green bumps for rear axle slip show moments when the rear is wiggling. (This is using the track precision app)

I notice inconsistent rear wiggle when braking from high speeds on the track. Haven't seen it on the street since installing the toe links, but I never brake that hard on the street either.

.04" toe in per side in the rear

urious
Old 11-02-2022, 02:29 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,492 Likes on 2,644 Posts

Originally Posted by edub
Curious if these little green bumps for rear axle slip show moments when the rear is wiggling. (This is using the track precision app)

I notice inconsistent rear wiggle when braking from high speeds on the track. Haven't seen it on the street since installing the toe links, but I never brake that hard on the street either.

.04" toe in per side in the rear

urious
Interesting, my car exhibits back-end wiggle under hard braking but I don't see spikes like that in the graph...
Old 11-02-2022, 04:13 PM
edub
Pro

Received 330 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Interesting, my car exhibits back-end wiggle under hard braking but I don't see spikes like that in the graph...
If you know when it wiggles it would be cool to see what the data shows. Unfortunately I don't know on which laps it occurs and I stopped caring about it so I'm only guessing
Old 11-02-2022, 07:30 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I started with Tarett and then switched to TPC. With the TPC I needed slightly less rear toe but noticed no difference in performance.
Underblu (11-02-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 07:51 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I started with Tarett and then switched to TPC. With the TPC I needed slightly less rear toe but noticed no difference in performance.

And that slight toe difference would be very minor, so either would be just fine.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:32 PM
vtplm
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Anyone know if there's a difference in clearance to the wheel between the two while running 19in wheels? I've seen anecdotal accounts of needing either spacers or shaving some parts.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:39 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by vtplm
Anyone know if there's a difference in clearance to the wheel between the two while running 19in wheels? I've seen anecdotal accounts of needing either spacers or shaving some parts.
I'm running Tarrett with 19" and have zero issues; they make a point on the product page to say that they designed them to clear 19" wheels.

Edit: Should add that for my 19" wheels I'm running standard Cayman sizes & offsets (i.e. with rear @ 19x10 ET40), so for those running wider wheels / different offsets, YMMV

Last edited by burnergt4; 11-02-2022 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Any significant differences between Tarett and TPC toe links