Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

2022 718 GT4 Error Messages

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 10:35 PM
bill3
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2022 718 GT4 Error Messages

I'm wondering if anyone else with a 718 GT4, especially a 2022 has run into error messages after trailering.

Here is the story. Got my 718 GT4 in late April. Break in driving took until early July, then track set up followed by 2 days at Lime Rock, 5 at Watkins Glen (2 events) and 3 at VIR. Car as always run fine EXCEPT that it apparently doesn't like being on the trailer!
Early in the break in process, I got a "Engine Control Fault. Consult a workshop; driving permitted" message that cleared as soon as the car was turned off. Had the dealer check it out; they mentioned some fan faults but said nothing to worry about.
When I returned from Watkins Glen in September and started the car on the trailer, I got a whole set of errors! Engine Control Fault, Steering Lock Fault, Parking Brake Fault, ABS/PSM failure drive with caution." They cleared when the car was turned off. Took the car to my indy (on the trailer) who saw nothing active and cleared the codes. Arriving home on the trailer, at least a couple of errors (can't remember which). Cleared when car was turned off. Back to the dealer. Found nothing wrong, cleared the codes. Did mention that there is a known issue with a/the ground, which they checked out.
Trailer 500 miles to VIR and start the car to back it off the trailer: same sequence as above without the steering lock fault. But this time, it didn't clear when the car was turned off! I turned the car off and restarted nearly a dozen times, including a slow drive through the paddock and the messages stayed. Finally, as I was about to write the event off, all cleared except Engine Control Fault and it cleared on the next restart. After a tentative first few laps, the car ran great the whole event. Trailered home and all 4 error messages showed up! But cleared on a restart.
Trailered back to the dealer who installed the latest software update ("a major one"??). Trailered home and no messages.
Now the car is sleeping for the winter but I would sure like to have more confidence that this issue is fixed!

Anyone have similar experience and/or insights to help?

TIA

PS. I can post videos of the error messages if that is helpful
Old 11-27-2022, 11:04 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Duplicate post

Last edited by rubber_ducky; 11-27-2022 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:05 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Sorry I cant be of any help here, but it would be interesting to know the software version that your dealer upgraded the car to
Old 11-28-2022, 11:42 AM
bill3
Rennlist Member

I don't have a version number but I know that it was not available at the beginning of October but was available around Nov 10 when the car was last with the dealer. I will see if I can get a version number.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:50 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 347 Posts

My early '22 PDK has had zero issues riding on my trailer. I do have to leave its alarm off as it'll get set off as soon as I move.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:42 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 417 Posts

No issues here 2021 6MT with ~5000 miles towing.

Peter
Old 11-28-2022, 10:25 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bill3
I'm wondering if anyone else with a 718 GT4, especially a 2022 has run into error messages after trailering.

Here is the story. Got my 718 GT4 in late April. Break in driving took until early July, then track set up followed by 2 days at Lime Rock, 5 at Watkins Glen (2 events) and 3 at VIR. Car as always run fine EXCEPT that it apparently doesn't like being on the trailer!
Early in the break in process, I got a "Engine Control Fault. Consult a workshop; driving permitted" message that cleared as soon as the car was turned off. Had the dealer check it out; they mentioned some fan faults but said nothing to worry about.
When I returned from Watkins Glen in September and started the car on the trailer, I got a whole set of errors! Engine Control Fault, Steering Lock Fault, Parking Brake Fault, ABS/PSM failure drive with caution." They cleared when the car was turned off. Took the car to my indy (on the trailer) who saw nothing active and cleared the codes. Arriving home on the trailer, at least a couple of errors (can't remember which). Cleared when car was turned off. Back to the dealer. Found nothing wrong, cleared the codes. Did mention that there is a known issue with a/the ground, which they checked out.
Trailer 500 miles to VIR and start the car to back it off the trailer: same sequence as above without the steering lock fault. But this time, it didn't clear when the car was turned off! I turned the car off and restarted nearly a dozen times, including a slow drive through the paddock and the messages stayed. Finally, as I was about to write the event off, all cleared except Engine Control Fault and it cleared on the next restart. After a tentative first few laps, the car ran great the whole event. Trailered home and all 4 error messages showed up! But cleared on a restart.
Trailered back to the dealer who installed the latest software update ("a major one"??). Trailered home and no messages.
Now the car is sleeping for the winter but I would sure like to have more confidence that this issue is fixed!

Anyone have similar experience and/or insights to help?

TIA

PS. I can post videos of the error messages if that is helpful
I’ve had this happen 40-50% of my trailering stints. When you start up the car to take it off, you get all these warnings. You also can’t tow this car locked, as the alarm goes off and will stay on for the whole trip. My trailer stints are mostly about 260 miles one way.

The dash warnings always go away quickly. I took it to the dealer once, and they found nothing. This car is quite sensitive to any voltage drops. I’ve had a few warnings after sitting parked for a few days. Now, I keep it on a maintainer if I’m not going to drive it for five days or more.
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (11-29-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 10:55 PM
bill3
Rennlist Member

Kyle,

I think I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one?!? The only difference is my experience at VIR where the codes wouldn't go away until after many restarts.

In terms of voltage drops, I've gotten the messages on the same day the car was started and put on the trailer or the next morning. Doesn't seem like that would be long enough for the voltage to drop, but what do I know?

I do have a maintainer so not a big deal to plug it in when the car sits; didn't think I needed to do that during the driving season but your experience suggests otherwise.

Completely agree with you and enduro that the car has to be unlocked on the trailer; it won't even make it to the end of my block before the alarm goes off.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 01:09 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,774 Likes on 755 Posts

+1 for voltage drops. My car once gave me all of the above warnings plus left and right taillight failure (lol). These cars are super sensitive in this regard. The steering lock thing is the giveaway for me.

Last edited by JAhmed; 11-29-2022 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:38 AM
bill3
Rennlist Member

If voltage drops are the culprit, I still have this question.

The car sits for 2 weeks in the garage with no battery maintainer. It starts right up with no error messages and goes on the trailer. Then rides 30 miles or 500 miles and has error messages when started. If its just low voltage, why wouldn't I get error messages when first started?

Still feels to me like the trailer has something to do with the error messages.

Thoughts??
Old 11-29-2022, 12:42 PM
hmintz
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts

Bill, funny running into you here. What would be unique to trailering? PDK or manual (I forget)? Is the car in gear when trailering? I'm sure you know better. Wheel straps? Try chassis straps instead (or visa versa). I'm guessing the problem must be due to the back-and-forth motion of trailering. Is the parking brake on? Try it the other way. If you visit Sebring this winter let me know.

Howard
Old 11-29-2022, 01:27 PM
Odin
Racer

Received 411 Likes on 171 Posts

I reckon you have an active alarm alerting when car is moved out of bonds? This sounds like something going off when car thinks it’s stolen?

Try disabling all alarm functions next time you trailer it.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:11 PM
beez
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bill3
If voltage drops are the culprit, I still have this question.

The car sits for 2 weeks in the garage with no battery maintainer. It starts right up with no error messages and goes on the trailer. Then rides 30 miles or 500 miles and has error messages when started. If its just low voltage, why wouldn't I get error messages when first started?

Still feels to me like the trailer has something to do with the error messages.

Thoughts??
I use mine only for the track, but drive it to/from them. When I get home it goes right onto the maintainer, as it usually sits for about three weeks before its next outing. Given your sequence... I believe the trailer is coincidental, but you're starting the car several times with no way of recharging the battery by either charging or driving. Starting the car does use a lot of juice because it's a very high compression motor.

Depending where you keep the car when you get home - garage or on the trailer... I see it this way. You get home, start the car to get it off the trailer (assuming you keep it in the garage). It sits for two weeks, not on a maintainer. You start the car in two weeks, put it on the trailer and take it to the track. You've now started the car twice, and let it sit for two weeks with no recharging at all, and the battery is now low. You get the warnings.

You could probably solve this by putting it on a maintainer for the two weeks it's in the garage.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:04 PM
bill3
Rennlist Member

Howard,

Small world! Car is a manual, no PDK. Not in gear when on the trailer but parking brake is on. Tie downs on the frame; not a fan of wheel straps: too much risk of wheel damage.

No plans for Sebring this winter...alas.

Bill
Old 11-29-2022, 07:05 PM
bill3
Rennlist Member

Odin

Alarm is not on; is there something else to disable?

Quick Reply: 2022 718 GT4 Error Messages