Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Burmester in Spyder - not impressed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 06:58 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Burmester in Spyder - not impressed!

As I write this, it's been almost 3 months since I've taken possession of my '22 chalk Spyder. Overall the car is simply amazing. I'm still breaking it in and loving every moment behind the wheel.

Since I've been a high end audio lover (I hate the term audiophile) for years so I decided to option the Spyder with the Burmester. However after I took possession of the car, I was immediately not impressed by the audio. The interior loudness of the Spyder not withstanding, the Burmester doesn't sound what I would characterize as "great".

After spending time adjusting the bass, treble, the spacial audio settings and changing various sources I still cannot get it to sound as good as the Bose system that was in my Macan - even with the Spyder's engine turned off. No matter what the source is, the bass is overly punchy and when I turn the bass down it tones down the midrange more than I'd like. I'm partly annoyed that there is only simple bass and treble controls and no way to truly tweak the sound (i.e.: equalizer) beyond those two settings and the spacial audio settings.

If I had realized how lacking the controls are in the Burmester system, I would have opted for either the Bose or base audio system. Anyone else feel like the Burmester is lacking in the Spyder? Or maybe my expectations were too high? Or maybe I'm just getting too old.
The following users liked this post:
2XIPA (12-21-2022)

Popular Reply

01-14-2023, 12:10 AM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,739 Likes on 847 Posts

So, chasing a rattle I decided to insulate my doors. I followed the Musicar instructions with overlapping Dynamat in the sub opening along with acustic tiles. I then did the door and the back side of the door card.

I did one door (passenger)first to see if there is a noticeable difference and you could immediately tell. The overly bright sound is replaced by a much richer mid and a crisper bass that's not boomy. It seems like much of the issue is from the terrible door accustics as there is one tiny OEM sound deadening strip in the door but the rest is just hard plastic and metal.

This probably added about 2lbs to each door but I do have a lithium battery and a full inconel exhaust so I'm still probably down about 40lbs from the delivery weight and I'm not building a race car. In addition, the doors now close with a much more solid thunk.

I highly recommend you try some sound insulation if you are unhappy with the sound. About $100 in materials and two beers worth of time.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:20 PM
ash_schwin
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 176 Posts

Congrats on your new Spyder! Only soundtrack I would need with that car is the 4.0L flat six
The following 3 users liked this post by ash_schwin:
cybers3c (12-21-2022), Pantera1683 (02-05-2024), SmallCapTrader (12-25-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 07:40 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 303 Posts

Yeah for some reason, in the Porsche sports cars... none of the options really sound phenomenal (SUVs are a different story). I've spent a bit of time in several 991's with the Burmester (multi-day service loaners) and IMO the Burm is a disappointment, and performs at about where one would expect the *Bose* to be. (The Bose simply sounds terrible.). When I bought my Spyder I stuck to the base SPP system (which I still stand by: it sounds better than the Bose)... then upgraded via a MusicarNW setup. I'd call them and find out if their "Stage 2" setup for the Bose would be a direct plug-in for the Burm cars. It sucks you spent the money only to replace it but it's something I'd look into IMO. I've been VERY satisfied with my setup from them. I eventually landed on their full "Stage 3" setup BUT did walk through Stage 1 and Stage 2 (which still use the SPP speakers) and Stage 2 rivaled the clarity and performance of the Burm in my Cayenne (which I already think sounds really, really good!). Stage 3 is another level from there.
The following 2 users liked this post by daaa nope:
stevieboats (02-01-2024), Zeus993 (12-22-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 08:21 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope
Yeah for some reason, in the Porsche sports cars... none of the options really sound phenomenal (SUVs are a different story). I've spent a bit of time in several 991's with the Burmester (multi-day service loaners) and IMO the Burm is a disappointment, and performs at about where one would expect the *Bose* to be. (The Bose simply sounds terrible.). When I bought my Spyder I stuck to the base SPP system (which I still stand by: it sounds better than the Bose)... then upgraded via a MusicarNW setup. I'd call them and find out if their "Stage 2" setup for the Bose would be a direct plug-in for the Burm cars. It sucks you spent the money only to replace it but it's something I'd look into IMO. I've been VERY satisfied with my setup from them. I eventually landed on their full "Stage 3" setup BUT did walk through Stage 1 and Stage 2 (which still use the SPP speakers) and Stage 2 rivaled the clarity and performance of the Burm in my Cayenne (which I already think sounds really, really good!). Stage 3 is another level from there.
So in your opinion, the base system sounds better than either of the upgrades? I'm no Audiophile, but I was thinking of getting one of the upgrades if I ever get an allocation. If it's not worth it I could save a few grand. Can you hear the music fine in the Spyder with the base system? I'm trying to get my hands on a Boxter GTS, but I'm sure if the base system works in a Spyder, it will be fine in a GTS.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by Amochosto; 12-21-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:24 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 741 Likes on 360 Posts

I hate that term too… audiophile. But, the peg fits the hole I guess.
Anyway, you’ve most likely heard the phrase that in audio, “The Elephant is the room.”
Well, you couldn’t ask for a worse room for quality sound than a Porsche Spyder.
Get the Bose, I s’pose…
The following 2 users liked this post by SpeedySpidey:
brock256 (01-14-2023), cybers3c (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 08:28 PM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 303 Posts

I think the Bose in my GT4 is fine. WAY better than the upgraded system in my old 991.1 GT3 or 981 GT4.
dmboone25 (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 08:29 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 749 Likes on 345 Posts

Thanks for saving me $3.5k
The following 3 users liked this post by Lucifer:
cybers3c (12-21-2022), gallucho (12-22-2022), X2Board (12-22-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 08:42 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

I have the basic system in my 981 GT4 and the Bose in my GT4RS. IMHO the basic system sounds at least as good as the Bose.
daaa nope (12-22-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 08:50 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 929 Likes on 434 Posts

If you have a small bluetooth speaker put it on your Spyder's dash and listen to how small it sounds. Then angle it so the highs reflect off the windshield and you'll see the car's configuration and cabin size are a real challenge for good audio. I have a Burmester in my SUV and it sounds great so I doubt it's the components or EQ, just hard to make good gear sound good in the tiny Spyder cabin.
The following 2 users liked this post by clutchplate:
cybers3c (12-21-2022), Mike981S (01-31-2024)
Old 12-21-2022, 08:55 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
I hate that term too… audiophile. But, the peg fits the hole I guess.
Anyway, you’ve most likely heard the phrase that in audio, “The Elephant is the room.”
Well, you couldn’t ask for a worse room for quality sound than a Porsche Spyder.
Get the Bose, I s’pose…
Could not agree more!

Originally Posted by sgreer78
I think the Bose in my GT4 is fine. WAY better than the upgraded system in my old 991.1 GT3 or 981 GT4.
Interesting. And that's probably a good descriptor that I'd use for the Burmester as "fine". The audio is crystal clear - highs are pretty good, midrange is okay, but the balance of midrange and lower is just not good. Honestly, it's the only aspect of the car I don't love - which maybe is more of a nitpick than anything.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:29 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,380 Likes on 2,319 Posts

I had the Burm in my G Wagen and will get it in the next, especially since it comes standard so I do not have a choice. But in the Spyder, I think the best option other than going aftermarket is to get the Bose and swap the tweeters to the Burms (left & right dash). I still prefer to listen to the car about half the time, mostly when the top is down, but music is not a top priority to me in the Spyder.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:07 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by cybers3c

If I had realized how lacking the controls are in the Burmester system, I would have opted for either the Bose or base audio system. Anyone else feel like the Burmester is lacking in the Spyder? Or maybe my expectations were too high? Or maybe I'm just getting too old.
Indeed, the emperor has no clothes. I’ve heard it and was not impressed either. I’m looking forward to listening to @Jeff Jones and @ronbauer mods to hear what Musicar offers as upgrades. Sorry you took the bullet on the Burmester system. But congrats on the Spyder. Such an awesome car.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2XIPA:
Big Belly 711 (12-21-2022), Jeff Jones (12-22-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 10:19 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 516 Posts

One will never really be able to appreciate high quality audio in a convertible. However, I spec'd the Burm for one reason, and it meets that need. When in the mood, you can crank it with the top down and it will still give a clean powerful sound. I love the massive punch of the bass, too. If you are seeking a mobile concert hall, this isn't it. But for drop top music blasting power and fun, it works wonderfully.
The following 7 users liked this post by VVG:
brock256 (01-14-2023), George from MD (12-28-2022), halfmonkey (01-14-2023), MrFunk (12-22-2022), Spike Spiegel (01-14-2023), Toon902 (12-21-2022), triode (12-22-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-21-2022, 10:39 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 316 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by sgreer78
I agree - the Bose in my Spyder is "fine", but I really only use it when I am driving and my lady is in the car.

When I am solo, it's all Kline, all the time.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:07 PM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I do not know why but the but the Burmester sound decent in the 991. The 991 bose probably sound slightly better than 981 Burmester boxster so it's pretty bad. I personally feel the C8 corvette standrad bose and benz S class are better. But i'm more pop/r&b and non-classical type music.

If i buy another Macan my question now is if Burmester worth the $$? I wasn't impress with the SQ8 3d burmester and still do not know why these system sound so different depending on the vehicle you buy. You figure the price you pay should be the scale but it isn't.

Quick Reply: Burmester in Spyder - not impressed!