Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The place in history of the GT4 / spyder

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 11:28 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Having EVs arrive doesn’t replace the magic of internal combustion powered Porsches, it enhances it.
Old 05-07-2023, 12:47 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 516 Posts

As an automotive enthusiast, I really do not like the time we are living in. Less and less people are car enthusiasts it seems. Today's youth are way more into social media and tech than when I was that age. Cars represented a freedom and were as much of a tool to enable social connectivity as anything. They aren't needed in the same way. Similarly, in this crossover world between ICE and EV, there has been a bit of a void created IMO. EV hasn't fully taken hold, still faces tremendous barriers to widespread use, and yet no advancements are being pursued with ICE technology. Basically, I feel like there is no direction to get excited about.
Old 05-08-2023, 02:50 PM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
IMO, petrol should only get cheaper as the years go on, while the demand trends downward.
Have you purchased a 3.5" floppy disk lately? They're about $1-2 each today and were as low as a dime each in their heyday.
Old 05-08-2023, 02:58 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by skafia
Have you purchased a 3.5" floppy disk lately? They're about $1-2 each today and were as low as a dime each in their heyday.

Old 05-08-2023, 03:23 PM
Adrift
Race Car

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
As an automotive enthusiast, I really do not like the time we are living in. Less and less people are car enthusiasts it seems. Today's youth are way more into social media and tech than when I was that age. Cars represented a freedom and were as much of a tool to enable social connectivity as anything. They aren't needed in the same way. Similarly, in this crossover world between ICE and EV, there has been a bit of a void created IMO. EV hasn't fully taken hold, still faces tremendous barriers to widespread use, and yet no advancements are being pursued with ICE technology. Basically, I feel like there is no direction to get excited about.
I don't get this perspective at all. We are at the likely pinnacle of ICE performance. All cars start. Every time. They corner well. Brake well. Go fast safely. Are very reliable (compared to the "good old days"). And the good ones are, well...CRAZY good.

I really don't understand the "wishing more people were auto enthusiasts." Have you seen the roads? Anywhere even remotely populated? Extreme traffic. Congestion. Wrecks. Road rage. And you want MORE emphasis on car culture?

As I said above, unless you're just a luddite who wants no real change, the weakening of the death grip that fossil fuels has had on transportation means more opportunities for new tech than ever had a chance before. I get it, ICE has a very strong nostalgia appeal for mostly us older types (me included), but EV / hydrogen / e-fuels / <next tech here> represents potential game changing evolution in the ways we get around. Admittedly, due to population size, effective mass transit is really what is needed more than a sky full of jetson cars, but at least we are seeing daylight on the other side of the fossil fuel black-out curtain.

Evolution survives. Stagnation does not. Literally and figuratively.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adrift:
GTSPYDER23 (05-08-2023), Kona.61 (05-16-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 04:28 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrift
I don't get this perspective at all. We are at the likely pinnacle of ICE performance. All cars start. Every time. They corner well. Brake well. Go fast safely. Are very reliable (compared to the "good old days"). And the good ones are, well...CRAZY good.

I really don't understand the "wishing more people were auto enthusiasts." Have you seen the roads? Anywhere even remotely populated? Extreme traffic. Congestion. Wrecks. Road rage. And you want MORE emphasis on car culture?

As I said above, unless you're just a luddite who wants no real change, the weakening of the death grip that fossil fuels has had on transportation means more opportunities for new tech than ever had a chance before. I get it, ICE has a very strong nostalgia appeal for mostly us older types (me included), but EV / hydrogen / e-fuels / <next tech here> represents potential game changing evolution in the ways we get around. Admittedly, due to population size, effective mass transit is really what is needed more than a sky full of jetson cars, but at least we are seeing daylight on the other side of the fossil fuel black-out curtain.

I am not an ICE holdout by any means, actually. Give me proper charging accessibility and quick charge times and I will jump ship quite readily. I am saying that at this particular point in time, I do not see as much general passion for cars as years ago, and we are in this odd in-between phase with the dying of ICE and the birth of EV. Traffic and congestion is simple product of population growth with nothing related per se to being a car enthusiast.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:52 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

It's always funny to hear folks assign derogatory names to people based on things they don't like. You're a "luddite" or "holdout" if you like the internal combustion engine.

Some of us "knuckle-dragging physics non-deniers" even like the Clash, Hendrix, Vans slip-ons, a nicely restored P51, gas trimmers, or the smell of 100 octane and the sound of a lumpy cam on a Mezger. Maybe you can start calling us the "romantics".
The following 2 users liked this post by kgorman:
lilbza (05-08-2023), VVG (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 06:57 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skafia
Honest question, does anyone here like this sound? :barf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiYT3ftvsYI
I don't dislike it. Sounds like spaceship hitting warp speed. Not a bad thing really.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:24 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,134 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift

Not being facetious, but this is the most compelling argument for EVs I've seen to date. You've almost got me excited... until I think about Tesla bros "crushing vehicles at stoplights" and then I'm sad again...

Originally Posted by kgorman
It's always funny to hear folks assign derogatory names to people based on things they don't like. You're a "luddite" or "holdout" if you like the internal combustion engine.

Some of us "knuckle-dragging physics non-deniers" even like the Clash, Hendrix, Vans slip-ons, a nicely restored P51, gas trimmers, or the smell of 100 octane and the sound of a lumpy cam on a Mezger. Maybe you can start calling us the "romantics".
A great counterpoint! I'm beginning to enjoy this thread.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:15 PM
Adrift
Race Car

I don't even know what a tesla bro is. ???

Romance is one thing. Fighting change is another. Luddite wasn't intended as an insult, strictly speaking, but as a viewpoint.

Last edited by Adrift; 05-08-2023 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:23 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,779 Likes on 758 Posts

Lmao the drama in here is wild
Old 05-08-2023, 09:03 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Lmao the drama in here is wild
Pales compared to Congress, but let's just end that right here.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:39 PM
Adrift
Race Car

The irony is the longer and harder we fight against change, the more violent and all encompassing it will be when it is no longer an option. If we'd have started 20 - 25 years ago, and moved at a decent clip, there very well might have been room for compromise.

I don’t see drama, I see people having a conversation. We must have different definitions.

Last edited by Adrift; 05-08-2023 at 09:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bearrun21 (05-15-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 09:41 PM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 245 Posts

Holy… what is going on in this thread?
Old 05-08-2023, 10:20 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 6IXSPD