Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The place in history of the GT4 / spyder

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 10:38 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,707 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
The irony is the longer and harder we fight against change, the more violent and all encompassing it will be when it is no longer an option. If we'd have started 20 - 25 years ago, and moved at a decent clip, there very well might have been room for compromise.

I don’t see drama, I see people having a conversation. We must have different definitions.
We're like 10+ years out probably of EV's being decent for every day use, but I don't see them ever working for poor people or lower middle class. We're at the point where a luddite like myself considers a Tesla for the wife. It's comparatively cheap to buy, the fuel mileage is nice. All that is holding me back is I don't like the safety and reliability or potential resale of it. Safety is a really big one that is turning me off and they're ignoring it. I don't want a vehicle my wife can't figure out how to get out of, or literally can't because it wont let her out and she doesn't possess the strength to smash her way through a window, and then get my daughter out of the backseat. I wouldn't buy one for myself either because it doesn't work for trips, and is soulless.

People are fighting change because what we're getting force sold now technically smells like a turd and we're being told it's a rose. We know it's not and don't appreciate being gaslit. EV's only work for rich people and as a secondary car at the moment. We're not even at the point where EV's are definitely the way forward as there are some real big problems yet to be solved and there may be something better in the works, which for whatever reason our governments seem to really really want to not work out.

People are too polarized too. It's the stupid american politics BS where everyone needs to support their 'team' no matter what. That mentality is a plague on society. This forum is great because there is barely any seepage of that into it, but it definitely pops up in these EV/ICE debates. So many people are jumping on anyone that raises valid points about EVs.
The following 4 users liked this post by Zhao:
Bearrun21 (05-15-2023), daaa nope (05-09-2023), MT45 (05-09-2023), SpyderSenseOC (05-08-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 12:49 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,779 Likes on 758 Posts

I don’t see drama, I see people having a conversation. We must have different definitions.
oh don’t worry, I’m here for it.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:29 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,134 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
It's the stupid american politics BS where everyone needs to support their 'team' no matter what. That mentality is a plague on society.
Amen.

And for the record, I don't see drama in this thread, just intelligent adults making compelling, passionate statements. I'm a fan.
The following users liked this post:
Zhao (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 09:09 AM
Adrift
Race Car

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,223 Posts

People are too polarized too. It's the stupid american politics BS where everyone needs to support their 'team' no matter what. That mentality is a plague on society. This forum is great because there is barely any seepage of that into it, but it definitely pops up in these EV/ICE debates. So many people are jumping on anyone that raises valid points about EVs.
Bold statement is very true.

The next statement is not ubiquitously true. But the "both sides are the same" is always a good way to diffuse scrutiny. There are certainly aspects that are the same, but many that are crucially not.

And no one is defending EV here or dismissing its foibles. It is FAR from a perfect answer. You are swapping the problem for a proposed answer. The problem exists, regardless of the quality of any given answer. The problem WILL require and result in massive change, either voluntarily or involuntarily. The longer you wait to take your medicine, the more harsh the required treatment becomes

But let's leave the P-word (and qualitative observations about it) out of this thread. Where does the spyder / gt4 live in history, with a necessary part of that being the context of the future of ICE / fossil fuel cars (as you see it).

Last edited by Adrift; 05-09-2023 at 09:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Adrift:
jeanrabelais (05-11-2023), P31M156 (05-09-2023), Zhao (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 09:31 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

EV acceptance shouldn’t be drawn on political lines. I know why it is - I’m saying we should be more intellectually honest than that and not get baited into red vs blue debates.

There is much to solve if EVs are to move beyond a fanciful commuter car for the mostly rich. Like real physics problems - not policy problems. We can do it. It might not even end up being and EV in the end. It’s going to take some time to move to something other than internal combustion engine.

In the mean time let’s enjoy what we’ve built and look back in awe at how far we’ve come and the beauty of it. Isn’t that why we love Porsches anyway? The GT4 and Spyder are damn special - this forum inherently knows that. They will endure the test of time, I for one, am sure of it.
Adrift (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 10:09 AM
Magnetic K
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 26 Posts

Now that both models are sunsetting, and for what looks like the last time (barring an unannounced revival), where do people see these models going, in terms of desirability, pricing, and their general presence in the Porsche community?
Will the now apparently ubiquitous GT4s start disappearing from grids, as their inability to be replaced, and their unique status, sinks in?
Will prices for both models do normal-GT car well, or will they exceed that paradigm, being recognized as something special and now gone forever?
Will the spyder see a 550-like cult status manifest?
Will these cars disappear into collector garages, and be seen less and less on road and track?
Or is this retirement the same as the 924/944/928/etc, and warrants no special notice?

Thoughts?

Coming back to the original post:

For me, the Spyder is my forever sports car. A car to be driven and enjoyed. To hermetically seal this sports car as a garage queen for future potential profits is just a waste of phenomenal piece of engineering. Why purchase a car for someone else to enjoy. Unless the Spyder RS comes out as a manual, the 982.2 Spyder seems like the apex of the manual Boxster line.

The naturally aspirated linear pull of the 414 hp boxer-6 engine, GT4 sports suspension, manual, beautiful Spyder interior, sculpted rear deck are a phenomenal package. Add an after market exhaust and it is near perfect. The price point is a relative bargain for such performance, so that it is priced to be driven, as opposed to the unobtainable Speedster. The Spyder is 80% performance of a Speedster at 1/3 rd of the price, and IMO, prettier. On my drive this weekend, I saw 2 other Spyders and lots of other Porsches out and about.

Personally, I think the Spyder will be driven and sought after by us older farts, much like the S2000, and hopefully like the 550. Only time will tell.
DP8 (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 12:39 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnetic K
Coming back to the original post:

For me, the Spyder is my forever sports car. A car to be driven and enjoyed. To hermetically seal this sports car as a garage queen for future potential profits is just a waste of phenomenal piece of engineering. Why purchase a car for someone else to enjoy. Unless the Spyder RS comes out as a manual, the 982.2 Spyder seems like the apex of the manual Boxster line.

The naturally aspirated linear pull of the 414 hp boxer-6 engine, GT4 sports suspension, manual, beautiful Spyder interior, sculpted rear deck are a phenomenal package. Add an after market exhaust and it is near perfect. The price point is a relative bargain for such performance, so that it is priced to be driven, as opposed to the unobtainable Speedster. The Spyder is 80% performance of a Speedster at 1/3 rd of the price, and IMO, prettier. On my drive this weekend, I saw 2 other Spyders and lots of other Porsches out and about.

Personally, I think the Spyder will be driven and sought after by us older farts, much like the S2000, and hopefully like the 550. Only time will tell.
Where were you driving that you saw 2 other Spyders? Since I took delivery in June 2020, I have seen only 3 ever in the wild, and only 2 others at C&C events.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:40 PM
Adrift
Race Car

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Where were you driving that you saw 2 other Spyders? Since I took delivery in June 2020, I have seen only 3 ever in the wild, and only 2 others at C&C events.
Ditto. Very rare to sight them locally. Only ever seen 1 actually driving around in the wild; the few others I've seen are always at car shows / gatherings.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:59 PM
Magnetic K
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 26 Posts

I drive around Fairfield County Connecticut, an exurban community to NYC. Two other Spyders were in Westport CT. There are many Porsche enthusiasts to bond and drive with here.

Last edited by Magnetic K; 05-09-2023 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Town info
Old 05-09-2023, 04:32 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Amen.

And for the record, I don't see drama in this thread, just intelligent adults making compelling, passionate statements. I'm a fan.
Ya, 99.9% of the time this forum is actually pretty amazing that people can heatedly debate something like PDK and 2 minutes later in another thread are congratulating each other on their latest purchase or whatever. It's nice the way the rest of the world functions rarely penetrates here.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:39 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by VVG
I see a 'ton' in my area. My city probably only sold 10+ of them, and I've seen at least 5 spyders: Gentian, gt silver, white, chalk, miami. Possibly more because i've seen some of those driving around a lot and they may be more than one car. I think my local dealer sold <15 GT4s and I've seen 10ish?

Old 05-09-2023, 04:42 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,134 Likes on 639 Posts

Ya, 99.9% of the time this forum is actually pretty amazing that people can heatedly debate something like PDK and 2 minutes later in another thread are congratulating each other on their latest purchase or whatever. It's nice the way the rest of the world functions rarely penetrates here.
Right, I saw your name and was like "oh lord, I thought we were done", but yeah this is a different thread lol. It's all independent of one another, I don't hold grudges (mostly).

I actually agree with the vast majority of your posts and you've provided some useful insight. It's ok we don't agree on everything, that would be boring.
Zhao (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 05:34 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Ya, what's in that other thread stays in that other thread lol. No one wants an echo chamber except nut jobs IMO. How am I supposed to learn and evolve my brain if every post agrees with me O_o.
manifold danger (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 06:43 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 789 Posts

FWIW, in the latest Smoking Tire podcast, Matt's guests are noted Porsche brokers. Apparently the GT4/Spyders (didn't say which gen) are becoming the next targets for many enthusiasts/collectors. For those who don't know, Matt also owns a car storage garage...and opening a 2nd location. He also comments that some of his clients are apparently selling some cars (Tourings?) to get the GT4/Spyder. Comment/discussion starts @ ~8:50 as they all compare them to the Emira:

The following 2 users liked this post by colnagoG60:
JAhmed (05-09-2023), UncleDude (05-15-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 06:56 PM
Zhao
Drifting

^ That's very interesting. You'd think Touring > GT4 for collector status, but I guess they'd know better.

Quick Reply: The place in history of the GT4 / spyder