Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

992 to 781 and build feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 11:53 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by confused66
Hate to disagree with other more knowledgeable owners, but IMHO, the Burm is wasted money. Go with the Bose. You're driving a convertible so hoping for audiophile results is a fool's errand. In my BGTS, the Bose is plenty loud enough that you can hear it at speed with the top down and traffic noise. Never heard a Burm under those conditions, but is a Stradivarius going to sound any better than a thrift-store violin on a crowded subway platform? Use the extra cash to treat yourself to something more useful/memorable. That's a good 3-day weekend with lots of activities and fine dining that you're passing up just to acquire a better stereo that you won't be able to hear or appreciate anyway.
Originally Posted by 348SStb
I agree. My brother’s 991.2 Turbo S has Burmester and I can’t tell that it’s any better than my Bose in all my cars whether 991.2/981/982. It disappoints.
Originally Posted by Adrift
Going to weigh in FOR the burm here, but from an admittedly single sided perspective. Unless you are next to a semi or lots of traffic (ie deafening levels of noise), the burm can be heard loud and clear, with the top down, at 80 MPH. The Bose may be "equally" good; I don't know that part. But the burm doesn't disappoint for clear sound at higher speeds, top down.

IMHO
I think the Burmester is TOTALLY over priced! But I've NEVER regretted it in my 992 - it is simply amazing compared to the Bose (I got LUCKY and was able to listen to them side by side in the dealership and yes, I had the Bose ordered at the time*). I was always of the "the Bose is not that bad", but wow, the Burm..... and yes, I bet the Musicar upgrade is superior - but I'm not in the mood to do all that work and then deal with my dealer if they blame it for some electrical gremlin.

And finally, my typical drive is 0-40-0 on the way to work (0-25-0 if I take the other road). Lots of people say the 992 is too noisy to hear anything (and yes, I know the Boxster is nosier), but I hear the music loud and clear at those speeds

*No insult meant here at all, but I know lots of people who have either lost the ability to hear highs or just don't have the ear for music. Me? I get in a rental car and the first thing I'm doing is adjusting the tone. That might be the question for people.
"When you get in a rental car, do you immediately adjust the settings of the stereo?"
a) YES - Get the Burmester
b) NO - You just saved a lot of money, consider yourself lucky.

The following users liked this post:
confused66 (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 01:34 PM
zonda600
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how many gentian 992s are floating around Chicago...I think I've seen your car out and about.

I don't have a ton to add as a 981 owner, but I really like your build. Gentian with the espresso/cognac interior is such a rich combo. As bad and congested as Chicago roads are, and while wonderful weather can be rare, I would never give up my Boxster for a Cayman/911 hardtop. It's such a great experience and very different than a 992. I also visit Autobahn Country Club twice a year where I prefer the mid-engined platform.

Last edited by zonda600; 06-07-2023 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:50 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zonda600
Not sure how many gentian 992s are floating around Chicago...I think I've seen your car out and about.

I don't have a ton to add as a 981 owner, but I really like your build. Gentian with the espresso/cognac interior is such a rich combo. As bad and congested as Chicago roads are, and while wonderful weather can be rare, I would never give up my Boxster for a Cayman/911 hardtop. It's such a great experience and very different than a 992. I also visit Autobahn Country Club twice a year where I prefer the mid-engined platform.
You would normally see me in the Glen Ellyn / Wheaton area. A co-worker just saw one out in the St. Charles area, not me

Out of curiosity, what suspension do you have?

And, I'm actually an Autobahn member - but it is in a co-workers name for now.

Old 06-08-2023, 11:22 AM
zonda600
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
You would normally see me in the Glen Ellyn / Wheaton area. A co-worker just saw one out in the St. Charles area, not me

Out of curiosity, what suspension do you have?

And, I'm actually an Autobahn member - but it is in a co-workers name for now.
I have X73 which I really like; it helps restore some connection to the front end the first-gen EPS gave up and is a nice compromise for street/occasional track use.

And if I lived closer, I think I would have an Autobahn membership, it's really a fun circuit.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:34 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 353 Likes on 209 Posts

The Bose is a piece of sh*t. I can't believe how bad it is.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:48 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
This is a gross exaggeration. It’s not good advice for anyone reading.

- The Bose is fairly loud, has good power, and has good quality at moderately loud levels
- The Bose doesn’t have great clarity when very loud
- The Bose doesn’t have exceptional power
- The Bose has good, not excellent, bass

Burmester does not excel beyond the Bose in a very significant way. The car is too small and there are too few speakers. Have had 6 981/718/991.2 cars with Bose and two with Burmester.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:50 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George from MD

- The Bose is fairly loud, has good power, and has good quality at moderately loud levels

Burmester does not excel beyond the Bose in a very significant way. The car is too small and there are too few speakers. The loudness of the Burmester should be greater but isn’t.

Four of my 981/982/991.2 cars have had Bose and two have had Burmester.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:42 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 227 Posts

Back on topic:

I had a 992 Turbo for 2 years and sold it. Incredible car with no soul. Its just TOO good. I was searching for a convertible (recently moved to CA and have never owned one) and the 992 Cab was on my list but decided I wanted something different. I was shopping R8s, 720S, etc and landed on a 718 GTS 4.0 because I really liked driving my friends Spyder and its not expensive (in comparison).

These two cars are apples to oranges. Not sure it even makes sense to compare them.

I did a lot of touring with my 992 on back roads out west. Incredible GT car. My plan for the GTS 4.0 is the same. Weekend trips with the spouse to wine country, drive up the coast, etc.

I only have 200 miles on the 718 so not even broken in yet.

Oh, and I have other cars if I want to go FAST (but not Tesla fast, LOL)

Last edited by lucycan; 06-08-2023 at 02:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
348SStb (06-08-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 03:59 PM
muiz
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb

Burmester does not excel beyond the Bose in a very significant way. The car is too small and there are too few speakers. Have had 6 981/718/991.2 cars with Bose and two with Burmester.

honestly I really love the Bose in my GT4. I find most people don’t adjust the EQ in their sound settings, if you don’t adjust the EQ it’s quite underwhelming.

I see myself as a bass head and I’m very happy w the Bose, and I don’t even have it turned up all the way (+7). I’ve had a lot of my friends listen to it as well and they say it’s quite clear.

My dad has burmester in his 991.1 C4S and I would say it is definitely clearer, but if you never heard the burmester I don’t think you’re missing out much with the bose.

I can’t emphasis enough on adjusting the EQ to your desired sound, I’m surprised how many people don’t try it and then slag off the Bose.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:06 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by muiz
honestly I really love the Bose in my GT4. I find most people don’t adjust the EQ in their sound settings, if you don’t adjust the EQ it’s quite underwhelming.

I see myself as a bass head and I’m very happy w the Bose, and I don’t even have it turned up all the way (+7). I’ve had a lot of my friends listen to it as well and they say it’s quite clear.

My dad has burmester in his 991.1 C4S and I would say it is definitely clearer, but if you never heard the burmester I don’t think you’re missing out much with the bose.

I can’t emphasis enough on adjusting the EQ to your desired sound, I’m surprised how many people don’t try it and then slag off the Bose.
Well said.

There’s a great iOS (free) app called “Boom” which has some decent equalizer capabilities. It significantly transforms what seems like mediocre sound into very good sound.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:15 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lucycan
Back on topic:

I had a 992 Turbo for 2 years and sold it. Incredible car with no soul. Its just TOO good.
Oddly enough, that's what Nick Murray says....

Quick Reply: 992 to 781 and build feedback