Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

992 to 781 and build feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 08:57 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 405 Posts
Default 992 to 781 and build feedback

2021 992 C4S owner here. Home sick for last few days and suddenly thinking "you know, if you are not going to drive your 992 year round anymore, why not get a convertible? I mean Chicago has great weather!"

So first question - anyone go from a 992 to a 781 GTS? Thoughts?

And the newbie build I just came up with https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRBN73M2
Curious about the Sport Design Package as I've never seen one in person - with the 992, I loved it, until I saw it in person and then wow - how to make the rear end of a 992 ugly.

TIA
Old 06-04-2023, 09:34 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 240 Posts

I own a 991.2 Carrera S Cabriolet (7-speed) and a 2022 Boxster GTS 4.0 (PDK).

The first thing is your 992 C4S is *way* faster than the 718 GTS 4.0. And I mean rocketship faster. That might be an issue for you. My 991.2 is a very fast car but your 992 is significantly faster.

The sensation of speed in the GTS 4.0 is just fine; the engine is very violent and it is a naturally aspirated gem. However, on back roads with some nice straights, the car feels a bit underpowered.

Wind turbulence performance inside the cabin of the 718 Boxster is about 6/10 good to very good; but it’s not excellent. It doesn’t compare to a 911’s wind turbulence performance which is excellent 9/10: the wind deflector and rear windows on the 911 Cabriolet offer far superior wind turbulence performance. This is an issue at high highway speeds but not necessarily at lower backroads speeds. (I would put Mercedes-Benz R231 SL as “outstanding” 10/10 wind turbulence performance. No convertible does it better.)

I see you’ve hypothetically chosen 6-speed manual. Note the acceleration is slower on manual than on pdk which has shorter gear ratios. Note I also own an 2016 Boxster Spyder which came in manual only. Also I would not recommend foregoing the PASM Sport suspension in favor of the normal suspension. I first had a Cayman GTS 4.0 which I ordered with raised (normal) suspension and went with the standard Sport on the Boxster GTS 4.0. While it’s difficult to notice the difference, there is ZERO compromise on ride quality or road compliance with the PASM Sport.

The Boxster is a practical car with two trunks. However, not much room behind seats for belongings as in 911. Build quality is same. If a 911 Cabriolet is not in your budget, and if speed and power capabilities are not a priority, then the Boxster is a good choice. I highly recommend test driving one before jettisoning the 992 or deciding on the Boxster.

**The Sport Design Package comes standard on Porsche GTS models. You’ve selected the High Gloss Black variant which doesn’t change any body panels but simply coats some of them in high gloss black.

Last edited by 348SStb; 06-04-2023 at 09:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
doug_999 (06-04-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 04:52 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 239 Posts

I drove a 992 Carrera 4S for the first time a week, or so ago . . . I cannot imagine anyone who owns a 992 would ever be satisfied with a 718

I am not saying the 718 'sucks' or anything stupid like that . . . the 992 is just f*cking amazing

If I were you - which I am not - I would poor some cold water over my face and stop thinking about moving from a 992 into a 718

Avera
Old 06-04-2023, 10:51 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
I drove a 992 Carrera 4S for the first time a week, or so ago . . . I cannot imagine anyone who owns a 992 would ever be satisfied with a 718

I am not saying the 718 'sucks' or anything stupid like that . . . the 992 is just f*cking amazing

If I were you - which I am not - I would poor some cold water over my face and stop thinking about moving from a 992 into a 718

Avera
Have you looked at a 911 cab?

Ughhh…just threw up a little thinking about it.

718 driving is sublime and the Boxster w/4.0 is a stand out.
Alpha Ice (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 07:11 AM
absame
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Went from a 996 MT for 18 years to a 992 PDK for six months to a 718GT4 MT with absolutely no regrets. 992 didn’t get my heart beating like the 718 NA. All personal preference. Both great cars in their own way.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:47 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 455 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Have you looked at a 911 cab?

Ughhh…just threw up a little thinking about it.

718 driving is sublime and the Boxster w/4.0 is a stand out.
I too would take a 718 Boxster over a 992 Cab, at least in the 991, and 997 I really detested the hump that was the convertible top folded up. I think it's still there somewhat in the 992, as evidenced when I saw the 992 America Edition Cab.
I don't think it would be a terrible trade off imo. It really comes down to how you feel about the nicer interior in the 992, with the toggles and switches, vs the 991/718 style interior. There have been a few discussions in RL about it, and I think most said they preferred the 718 buttons over some of the fully touch interfaces like the Macan/Panamera and other MFG. The Cayenne has pulled back some of it's touch craziness to offer some buttons again (to most folks delights).
I'm much more of a NA motor fan, but no doubt the 992 is very quick with the 3.0 turbo...as you are well aware. The mid engine layout and rotation of the 718 chassis is wonderful, and easy to notice/feel when driving it around. I also love that the engine is right behind our head, vs the foot and a half back, it adds a bit of personality and fun to the nature of the car. I failed to read if you have the PDK now, but most people do say wonderful things about the 6 speed in the 718 vs the 7 speed in the 992/911s. But do note that the gears can be long to some folks, I find the power band to work well and the notes the engine sings are wonderful with a couple tweaks.
The only other concern I'd have would be space going from the backseat of the 992 to the interior of the 718 Cab. The frunk is almost identical in sizing, but the boxster does loose some space. I was corrected however, that with some finagling you can fit some golf clubs in there still, so that is kind of nice.

RE: Your build. Good call on the Burm, the Bose is pretty poor, and several folks I knew of went looking to Musicar for upgrades beyond the Bose. It really struggles pushing any kind of sound over 70% volume to me, and if I have the windows down in my Cayman, I have to have the volume turned up very high to even be able to hear it. I also like the Espresso/Cognac interior, the two tan is much better than the full Sand Beige I had in my old 987. I ended up tearing out most of the interior with some 997 and other 987 parts to give it a good mix of black and tan (upgraded seats, leather interior parts from a 987 race car). I have some pictures around, and I'm not sure how well it would work with the colored interior, but I did the interior panels in exterior trim color on mine, with the Chalk and it turned out really good. There might be some pictures of that. The trim color accents are much nicer in the 718 to me over the 992, it hardly looks to have any panels configured. The other odd thing that bothered me, and I've seen some other folks discuss this too (I wish I wouldn't have changed my build), but with polarized sunglasses, the stock gauges can be tough to read in regular daylight, as the arch of the speedo with the glasses does make it fairly dark in the cabin. I wish I would have gone with the white gauges. Sometimes I find that I turn on the headlights to better see the gauge numbers. Otherwise I think the build looks great, it's all very personal, so I don't want to provide too much feedback. But if you check out the waiting area, you can see some other builds for folks. Some people in the GB thread here will provide some interior/exterior photos that might you some extra insight into your build as well. Cheers!

Last edited by Alpha Ice; 06-05-2023 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Build thoughts
doug_999 (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 06:41 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
I too would take a 718 Boxster over a 992 Cab, at least in the 991, and 997 I really detested the hump that was the convertible top folded up. I think it's still there somewhat in the 992, as evidenced when I saw the 992 America Edition Cab.
I don't think it would be a terrible trade off imo. It really comes down to how you feel about the nicer interior in the 992, with the toggles and switches, vs the 991/718 style interior. There have been a few discussions in RL about it, and I think most said they preferred the 718 buttons over some of the fully touch interfaces like the Macan/Panamera and other MFG. The Cayenne has pulled back some of it's touch craziness to offer some buttons again (to most folks delights).
I'm much more of a NA motor fan, but no doubt the 992 is very quick with the 3.0 turbo...as you are well aware. The mid engine layout and rotation of the 718 chassis is wonderful, and easy to notice/feel when driving it around. I also love that the engine is right behind our head, vs the foot and a half back, it adds a bit of personality and fun to the nature of the car. I failed to read if you have the PDK now, but most people do say wonderful things about the 6 speed in the 718 vs the 7 speed in the 992/911s. But do note that the gears can be long to some folks, I find the power band to work well and the notes the engine sings are wonderful with a couple tweaks.
The only other concern I'd have would be space going from the backseat of the 992 to the interior of the 718 Cab. The frunk is almost identical in sizing, but the boxster does loose some space. I was corrected however, that with some finagling you can fit some golf clubs in there still, so that is kind of nice.

RE: Your build. Good call on the Burm, the Bose is pretty poor, and several folks I knew of went looking to Musicar for upgrades beyond the Bose. It really struggles pushing any kind of sound over 70% volume to me, and if I have the windows down in my Cayman, I have to have the volume turned up very high to even be able to hear it. I also like the Espresso/Cognac interior, the two tan is much better than the full Sand Beige I had in my old 987. I ended up tearing out most of the interior with some 997 and other 987 parts to give it a good mix of black and tan (upgraded seats, leather interior parts from a 987 race car). I have some pictures around, and I'm not sure how well it would work with the colored interior, but I did the interior panels in exterior trim color on mine, with the Chalk and it turned out really good. There might be some pictures of that. The trim color accents are much nicer in the 718 to me over the 992, it hardly looks to have any panels configured. The other odd thing that bothered me, and I've seen some other folks discuss this too (I wish I wouldn't have changed my build), but with polarized sunglasses, the stock gauges can be tough to read in regular daylight, as the arch of the speedo with the glasses does make it fairly dark in the cabin. I wish I would have gone with the white gauges. Sometimes I find that I turn on the headlights to better see the gauge numbers. Otherwise I think the build looks great, it's all very personal, so I don't want to provide too much feedback. But if you check out the waiting area, you can see some other builds for folks. Some people in the GB thread here will provide some interior/exterior photos that might you some extra insight into your build as well. Cheers!
Regarding space… yes the Boxster loses some space in the interior compared with that of the 911… but you forgot to mention the rear trunk in the Boxster which is borderline huge for a sports car and definitely accommodates a set of golf clubs.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:02 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Thanks all...
First off, I will go drive one - oddly enough, the dealer where I have my 922 serviced has a GTS incoming that is available. Alas, I'm not a white car guy - if I was, I would still by driving my 2018 M3

Next up, ok regarding SPASM - @348SStb - I hope you are correct. There are some 992 owners who specd that suspension and they regret it. They also happen to be in cities like Chicago AND when I read about the 992 GTS ride quality, it makes me even more suspect! But I see you spend time in NYC (where my daughter just moved to - today), so I'll go with your recommendation for now

And regarding 992 vs. 718... while I have not told the boss, one thought is to just add the 718 to our "fleet" - another is to sell my 1M for it (my 19 year old son will not be happy as he constantly reminds me "Dad, they don't make that car anymore". Decisions...

Of note, I also removed the Sport Design - I swear it looked like it added some color to the bumpers. But the last thing I need is shiny black paint on the front end of my car

New code
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRATFX70

Thanks everyone - great feedback.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
I own a 991.2 Carrera S Cabriolet (7-speed) and a 2022 Boxster GTS 4.0 (PDK).

The first thing is your 992 C4S is *way* faster than the 718 GTS 4.0. And I mean rocketship faster. That might be an issue for you. My 991.2 is a very fast car but your 992 is significantly faster.

The sensation of speed in the GTS 4.0 is just fine; the engine is very violent and it is a naturally aspirated gem. However, on back roads with some nice straights, the car feels a bit underpowered.

Wind turbulence performance inside the cabin of the 718 Boxster is about 6/10 good to very good; but it’s not excellent. It doesn’t compare to a 911’s wind turbulence performance which is excellent 9/10: the wind deflector and rear windows on the 911 Cabriolet offer far superior wind turbulence performance. This is an issue at high highway speeds but not necessarily at lower backroads speeds. (I would put Mercedes-Benz R231 SL as “outstanding” 10/10 wind turbulence performance. No convertible does it better.)

I see you’ve hypothetically chosen 6-speed manual. Note the acceleration is slower on manual than on pdk which has shorter gear ratios. Note I also own an 2016 Boxster Spyder which came in manual only. Also I would not recommend foregoing the PASM Sport suspension in favor of the normal suspension. I first had a Cayman GTS 4.0 which I ordered with raised (normal) suspension and went with the standard Sport on the Boxster GTS 4.0. While it’s difficult to notice the difference, there is ZERO compromise on ride quality or road compliance with the PASM Sport.

The Boxster is a practical car with two trunks. However, not much room behind seats for belongings as in 911. Build quality is same. If a 911 Cabriolet is not in your budget, and if speed and power capabilities are not a priority, then the Boxster is a good choice. I highly recommend test driving one before jettisoning the 992 or deciding on the Boxster.

**The Sport Design Package comes standard on Porsche GTS models. You’ve selected the High Gloss Black variant which doesn’t change any body panels but simply coats some of them in high gloss black.
As far as speed is concerned, my 718 Spyder with headers, race exhaust, and tune would most likely "feel" faster than a 992C4S in case that is an issue for someone.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:50 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 239 Posts

All of this ‘which is fast stuff’ is a non-starter. . . the base 718 is faster and more capable than the roadways allow anyone to access.

If going from 0-60 and braking constantly is your thing, all these cars do that . . . and none better than a Tesla. Likewise, there are always cars on the road and, if you somehow manage to dodge all the stop lights and other cars on the road, then you need to pay heed to cops sitting in the bushes around the next corner. Third gear gets you jail time in all these cars.

Neither the 718 or the 992 will ever be the limiting factor on the roadways, nor the track for the minority of drivers who even attend a track . . . and happen to possess the driving skills to push any of these cars anywhere near their limits

Of course, this is the 718 subforum and, as would be expected, there is no shortage of investor bias . . . no doubt the 992 subforum would be equally passionate and persuasive about their preference.

I absolutely love the 718 platform but, after driving a 992, there is little doubt in MY mind as to why Porsche has it placed at the top of their model food chain.

OP, sorry to hear about your daughter moving to NYC . . . having four daughters of my own, I cannot imagine the concern you must be feeling

Avera
Old 06-06-2023, 09:44 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
All of this ‘which is fast stuff’ is a non-starter. . . the base 718 is faster and more capable than the roadways allow anyone to access.

If going from 0-60 and braking constantly is your thing, all these cars do that . . . and none better than a Tesla. Likewise, there are always cars on the road and, if you somehow manage to dodge all the stop lights and other cars on the road, then you need to pay heed to cops sitting in the bushes around the next corner. Third gear gets you jail time in all these cars.

Neither the 718 or the 992 will ever be the limiting factor on the roadways, nor the track for the minority of drivers who even attend a track . . . and happen to possess the driving skills to push any of these cars anywhere near their limits

Of course, this is the 718 subforum and, as would be expected, there is no shortage of investor bias . . . no doubt the 992 subforum would be equally passionate and persuasive about their preference.

I absolutely love the 718 platform but, after driving a 992, there is little doubt in MY mind as to why Porsche has it placed at the top of their model food chain.

OP, sorry to hear about your daughter moving to NYC . . . having four daughters of my own, I cannot imagine the concern you must be feeling

Avera
I should have added that I do not mean 0-60 times since that is the one thing it does not do well compared to others. But step on it in any other gear and it will fly - on the street.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:00 PM
slm9555
Advanced

Received 123 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Thanks all...
First off, I will go drive one - oddly enough, the dealer where I have my 922 serviced has a GTS incoming that is available. Alas, I'm not a white car guy - if I was, I would still by driving my 2018 M3

Next up, ok regarding SPASM - @348SStb - I hope you are correct. There are some 992 owners who specd that suspension and they regret it. They also happen to be in cities like Chicago AND when I read about the 992 GTS ride quality, it makes me even more suspect! But I see you spend time in NYC (where my daughter just moved to - today), so I'll go with your recommendation for now

And regarding 992 vs. 718... while I have not told the boss, one thought is to just add the 718 to our "fleet" - another is to sell my 1M for it (my 19 year old son will not be happy as he constantly reminds me "Dad, they don't make that car anymore". Decisions...

Of note, I also removed the Sport Design - I swear it looked like it added some color to the bumpers. But the last thing I need is shiny black paint on the front end of my car

New code
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRATFX70

Thanks everyone - great feedback.
I few changes I would make. Add a real trim not the standard plastic. That interior is way too nice for plastic trim. I suggest either aluminum trim or carbon fiber. I would add the Porsche crest to the headrests. This is an inexpensive option that looks great, I wish my car had it.

I would add steering column in leather - inexpensive and really makes it feel premium.

lastly, I would add the Porsche logo on the back in black satin finish. I think chrome looks out of place on these cars.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:22 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 646 Posts

OP you should get in touch with @JAhmed as he is in Chicago with 718 Spyder with some minor mods that you could do on the BGTS.... you might prefer over a 992!

Last edited by dnimi123; 06-06-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:58 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slm9555
I few changes I would make. Add a real trim not the standard plastic. That interior is way too nice for plastic trim. I suggest either aluminum trim or carbon fiber.
Interesting - I've never seen the basic trim, so thank you.

I would add the Porsche crest to the headrests. This is an inexpensive option that looks great, I wish my car had it.

I would add steering column in leather - inexpensive and really makes it feel premium.
No way I'm think the seat looks amazing (in all Porsches) without the reminder of what kind of car you are driving.. And while I can't comment on the 718, I know that in my 992, I've never seen the steering column, so spending money to cover it feels like I'm just giving Porsche even more money

lastly, I would add the Porsche logo on the back in black satin finish. I think chrome looks out of place on these cars.
Even with GB and the lighter colored wheels? Any pics?
Old 06-06-2023, 02:06 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doug_999
Interesting - I've never seen the basic trim, so thank you.

No way I'm think the seat looks amazing (in all Porsches) without the reminder of what kind of car you are driving.. And while I can't comment on the 718, I know that in my 992, I've never seen the steering column, so spending money to cover it feels like I'm just giving Porsche even more money

Even with GB and the lighter colored wheels? Any pics?
The new Porsche configurator kind of sucks now and the standard equipment list is severely lacking compared to what it showed previously. I cannot find the standard trim listed there like it had been in the past.

The trim in any Porsche sports car has never been flat plastic. Ever. Typically it was painted silver trim, which I never cared for. On the GTS models, it has usually been black brushed aluminum as standard. It could be high gloss black now. I recommend you consult the standard equipment list to find out what trim comes standard on the Boxster GTS for 2024. I looked around and struck out — I can’t find it. If it’s black brushed aluminum, I should say many people like the black brushed aluminum. I think it’s good. I always order the carbon fiber but it’s pricey and that’s just me.

Everyone is going to give you an opinion on configuration but I should say you would lose the GTS logos on the headrests if you order the Porsche crests.

Last edited by 348SStb; 06-06-2023 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 992 to 781 and build feedback