Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4 Side Scoop Clips vs Screws

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 12:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,259 Posts

I guess those aren't coming off anytime soon?
Old 04-05-2024, 08:56 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I guess those aren't coming off anytime soon?
I certainly hope not!! If they blow off they will probably take the side panels with them !!! 🤣
The following users liked this post:
matt0520 (04-08-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 04:22 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 398 Posts

I am going to take a 180 on this topic

I had the car in for it's 1st 10k service... today was the 1st day I've got it out since it went into winter storage. While there I asked the tech to check my scoops since it's so easy to pop off the side rockers. Before heading to the dealership - I gave both scoops a very very good push to make sure they were clipped in before the drive (this thread had gotten me paranoid). Had I pushed on them more and I probably would have cracked something. Previously I did notice a very small gap between the scoop and the rocker but I figure it was what it was... but it did bother me a bit because my friend's GT4 scoop fit more "tightly" with no gaps and just felt more solid than mine...

Here's what we found:

1. The tech said he didn't even have to remove the rockers fully - just the rear portion enough to get to the back side of the scoops.
2. Both scoops that I had thought were clipped in fully - were not. Only the rear clips were secure! I'd driven probably 1k miles with them like that - plenty of highway driving too... Yikes!
3. The double sided tape was not helping. Not only are the scoops next to impossible to get fully clipped in from just the outside, but the double sided tape made it near impossible for them to get tight enough to the rocker to fully seat.
4. The tech removed the tape, clipped in the scoops fully then added the 3 screws in the same locations as what you'd see on a GT4.

Now the scoops are fully flush against the rocker and feel very solid.

So - yes - you do (SHOULD) remove the rockers to install these in order to at the minimum get them fully seated and clipped in. If you're going to remove the rocker then you might as well screw them in just like the GT4.
I would not ad any glue because if you ever need to remove the scoops you'll have a nasty mess that I'm guessing you'd have to use a blade to cut them free....
The following 3 users liked this post by MrFunk:
cbracerx (04-12-2024), Larry Cable (04-12-2024), OldJedi (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 04:52 PM
matt0520
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
I am going to take a 180 on this topic

I had the car in for it's 1st 10k service... today was the 1st day I've got it out since it went into winter storage. While there I asked the tech to check my scoops since it's so easy to pop off the side rockers. Before heading to the dealership - I gave both scoops a very very good push to make sure they were clipped in before the drive (this thread had gotten me paranoid). Had I pushed on them more and I probably would have cracked something. Previously I did notice a very small gap between the scoop and the rocker but I figure it was what it was... but it did bother me a bit because my friend's GT4 scoop fit more "tightly" with no gaps and just felt more solid than mine...

Here's what we found:

1. The tech said he didn't even have to remove the rockers fully - just the rear portion enough to get to the back side of the scoops.
2. Both scoops that I had thought were clipped in fully - were not. Only the rear clips were secure! I'd driven probably 1k miles with them like that - plenty of highway driving too... Yikes!
3. The double sided tape was not helping. Not only are the scoops next to impossible to get fully clipped in from just the outside, but the double sided tape made it near impossible for them to get tight enough to the rocker to fully seat.
4. The tech removed the tape, clipped in the scoops fully then added the 3 screws in the same locations as what you'd see on a GT4.

Now the scoops are fully flush against the rocker and feel very solid.

So - yes - you do (SHOULD) remove the rockers to install these in order to at the minimum get them fully seated and clipped in. If you're going to remove the rocker then you might as well screw them in just like the GT4.
I would not ad any glue because if you ever need to remove the scoops you'll have a nasty mess that I'm guessing you'd have to use a blade to cut them free....
good info. How much did dealer charge you to screw them in?
Old 04-12-2024, 04:55 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by matt0520
good info. How much did dealer charge you to screw them in?
I feel a bit ripped off - $388
But I'm glad it's done. I could have done this myself too - and would have had I not had the service apt on the calendar... I told them I'd pay 1 hour labor to do it. But looks like they charged me 1.5?
Old 04-12-2024, 05:12 PM
matt0520
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 32 Posts

I feel a bit ripped off - $388
But I'm glad it's done. I could have done this myself too - and would have had I not had the service apt on the calendar... I told them I'd pay 1 hour labor to do it. But looks like they charged me 1.5?
yeah that’s not bad, better than messing up a rocker clip or something else. And they have a lift, easy work. I’ll need to figure it out here soon. Full car is getting PPF now then I’ll fit these w the clips only and go from there.

Larry Cable (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I think I am going to pass on this; so if anyone wants my brand new, still in the bags, pre painted glass black OEM GT4 scoops for $500 +shipping PM me...

I will post them in the classifieds later this weekend and update this post with the link
Old 04-12-2024, 06:05 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Here are my last $0.02

The process is no different than with a GT4 when dealing with the scoops (as it really should be)
The rockers are meant to come off to access that area. It's not an intrusive process it's a simple and absolutely DIY. You do not need a lift to do it.
The scoops do look fantastic and it's absolutely still worth the effort.
Larry Cable (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 06:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Here are my last $0.02

The process is no different than with a GT4 when dealing with the scoops (as it really should be)
The rockers are meant to come off to access that area. It's not an intrusive process it's a simple and absolutely DIY. You do not need a lift to do it.
The scoops do look fantastic and it's absolutely still worth the effort.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 Side Scoop Clips vs Screws