Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 08:17 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,096 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
No not really.

Less dust for daily -possible
OEM on track - yes to a point
Less dust than OEM AND trackable - no

You will quickly find that brakes, tires are just the beginning of that slippery slope of a 'trackable daily' . Save yourself now and get some nice golf clubs!

A nice Porsche is a great place to start though.
Ok awesome thank you. To be honest search engines just dont seem to like the prompts that i use and i generally dont find the answer i'm looking for which is why i prefer to ask.

I didn't think low dust and track performance were something that wasn't possible, but if that's the case then i'll just stick to OEM pads during track season and i'll probably buy some Hawk Ceramics for winter. I like how OEM pads currently feel for how new i am to the track and so i dont want to change things up too much.
Old 07-07-2023, 04:13 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 398 Posts

Just confirming that the Hawk Pads I bought off TR did indeed fit.
I don't have enough miles on them and have not broken them in enough to do a full review - but initial comments are that they don't have the same initial bite as OEM - as expected - but provide very similar feeling stopping power.
I'll get a couple tanks of fuel worth of miles on them and will report back again.
Old 07-07-2023, 04:31 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,826 Likes on 1,644 Posts

@MrFunk please do report back. BTW, I have found in the past that you can repeat the bedding in process which can improve performance, especially if you are swapping pads and not rotors.

As for me, my Carbotech's, well, really stink. I drove the CGTS for the first time in a few weeks after spending all my time in my 911T, and WOW those pads stick. I have to make a change, but I'm not sure to what. Interestingly, the OEM 911T pads are great and don't throw nearly as much dust as the OEM CGTS4.0 pads. So clearly that's a better pad compound on the 911. I wish I could buy that for the Cayman GTS 4.0.

@KNSBrakes any additional thoughts?
Old 07-07-2023, 04:47 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Yes - I plan on heading out again this evening to re-bed the pads. I did a few good stops on the way home from having them installed but didn't do a full bedding process.
Old 07-07-2023, 05:09 PM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
@MrFunk please do report back. BTW, I have found in the past that you can repeat the bedding in process which can improve performance, especially if you are swapping pads and not rotors.

As for me, my Carbotech's, well, really stink. I drove the CGTS for the first time in a few weeks after spending all my time in my 911T, and WOW those pads stick. I have to make a change, but I'm not sure to what. Interestingly, the OEM 911T pads are great and don't throw nearly as much dust as the OEM CGTS4.0 pads. So clearly that's a better pad compound on the 911. I wish I could buy that for the Cayman GTS 4.0.

@KNSBrakes any additional thoughts?
My problem is too many thoughts lol

First - I missed a sale - sorry Mr Funk

Second - Carbotech 1521's. They are low dust for sure. There is a loss in performance compared to OEM Porsche pads. Depending on which Porsche model the loss will vary (looks like you are confirming this) They may not have all the sensor notches and/or counterweights as well since it's more a race pad company.

Third - Hawk Ceramic - Their process gets them closer in terms of fitment/notches etc - but again the Ceramic compound is -less- than OEM. When I drive it's a non-stop brake test no matter what - it's unlikely you do what I do so your results vary. I don't wash my car, I daily a Camry, and my fun cars all have gray wheels.

I've always thought Hawk HPS was the best combo pad for street. Not zero but less dust, decent manners, and they aren't completey fail when pushed. Boring, nothing special, and still a notch down from something Porsche puts on a GTS but they generally work.

knsbrakes.com | Phone: 919-420-0021 | Email: sales@knsbrakes.com
The following users liked this post:
AdamIsAdam (07-07-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 11:23 AM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

I did a proper bedding last night of the new pads... a good ten back to back 35mph 50-80% brake force back-to-back stops, then about 3 hard stops from 45mph. Brakes were good and hot - I could smell them... I didn't experience any fade though.
I then hit the highway to let the brakes cool...

Performance after bedding was on par to OEM performance under "normal and spirited street driving". If the dust is reduced 80% I will be very happy with my decision to swap over.
Initial bite after bedding felt quite similar to the OEM pads actually... especially once there was some heat in the brakes.
I did still get brake squeal but that's pretty normal with parge caliper performance brakes...

The dealership charged me over $600 to swap the pads!!!! LOL! I had a loyalty credit to use so didn't cost me anything out of pocket - but they insisted I swap out the caliper stretch bolts which cost $120 ha! The labor was $500. It only took them just over an hour to do so not sure how they get to $500... Add the cost of the new pads and now sure if the cost benefit is there...

All in all - if you drive your car on the street - and don't hammer on your brakes as if you're on track - these pads are a great option for those who hate brake dust.
The following 3 users liked this post by MrFunk:
AdamIsAdam (07-08-2023), Lucifer (07-08-2023), UncleDude (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 05:57 PM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk

The dealership charged me over $600 to swap the pads!!!! LOL! I had a loyalty credit to use so didn't cost me anything out of pocket - but they insisted I swap out the caliper stretch bolts which cost $120 ha! The labor was $500. It only took them just over an hour to do so not sure how they get to $500... Add the cost of the new pads and now sure if the cost benefit is there...

Well, labor rate at stealership is over $300 per hour give or take based on your location. Anyhow, for others future reference, the bolts don’t need to be replaced. If reused, it is required to torqued to a certain value (I supposed it’s higher than that using new bolts).

Last edited by E39Nutz; 07-08-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 07:32 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

You can also replace the bolts with studs. By doing this, you eliminate the need to replace the bolts. Also, by not having to keep removing and reinstalling bolts into aluminum knuckles, you reduce the potential of stripping the aluminum threads or having an old bolt fuse in place, requiring an all new knuckle (been there, done that).

https://www.rennline.com/Tarett-Brake-Caliper-Stud-Kit-Cup-Car-Style/productinfo/CS19/

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 07-08-2023 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2023, 11:31 AM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

I got the car out with a buddy last night. He's got a 981 GT4. We did back to back very spirited drives on twisty back country roads. It was a lot of fun and was very interesting comparing both cars back to back on the same roads.

After driving both cars and having the opportunity to really put the brakes through some paces (mind you still on the street), I can say I am very happy with the Hawk pads. I'm not sure if the braking system in the 718 vs the 981 is different, but mine had a much better initial bite, more solid brake feel and better modulation vs my buddy's 981 (still have OEM pads). Obviously his car is 7 years old now with 15k miles on it (which is still very low miles for a vehicle)... but the point of this post is that it gave me some perspective on my new pads. My buddy's had several 911's etc and has a very large collection of other performance cars and he commented that the brakes felt amazing on the Spyder...

So there you have it. Some more subjective feedback. You've absolutely got to get them properly bedded though before these brakes start biting though.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrFunk:
E39Nutz (07-09-2023), UncleDude (07-09-2023)
Old 07-09-2023, 03:55 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrFunk
... but the point of this post is that it gave me some perspective on my new pads. My buddy's had several 911's etc and has a very large collection of other performance cars and he commented that the brakes felt amazing on the Spyder...

So there you have it. Some more subjective feedback. You've absolutely got to get them properly bedded though before these brakes start biting though.
Oh, I forgot you have a Spyder. Those are GT brakes whereas my GTS40 is not. I hate my pedal travel, way more than my 911T, and my friend's GT4 (718) and GT3.
Old 07-09-2023, 04:02 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,188 Likes on 2,120 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Oh, I forgot you have a Spyder. Those are GT brakes whereas my GTS40 is not. I hate my pedal travel, way more than my 911T, and my friend's GT4 (718) and GT3.
the brakes are the first thing I noticed going from a GTS to a GT / Spyder, the feel at the top of the pedal is very different and more confidence inspiring….. the GTS brakes though, were still the best brakes I ever had LOL, all shades of *good*
Old 07-09-2023, 04:03 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

The OEM brakes in my GT350 are the best I've ever used. My 911T rivals it in feel, but I know are inferior on the track. Just the sheer size of those massive floating calipers and rotors setup is scary!
UncleDude (07-09-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 07:22 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
I cross referenced Porsche OEM part numbers at Pelican and Hawk directly. Below are my findings, hope this helps.

GTS 4.0 Front - Hawk ceramic pad HB905Z.646 - same Porsche part # as a 2020 911 4S (992-698-151-H-OEM)
GTS 4.0 Rear - Hawk ceramic pad HB665Z.577 - same Porsche part # as a 2020 718 S (987-352-939-03-OEM)
Thanks lowbee! Can anyone else confirm these are the correct pads? I've already had two incorrect sizes so want to get it right the 3rd time!
Old 07-14-2023, 08:29 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

These are the pads that fit from Carbotech so maybe you can cross reference from there CGTS40

Old 07-17-2023, 10:39 AM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 81 Posts

We have been through this several times.

Our website lists the correct pads for the GTS 4.0 with competitive pricing.

--Aaron
AdamIsAdam (07-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads