Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Detailers Hub - Tips and Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 10:55 AM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 398 Posts
Default Detailers Hub - Tips and Q&A

I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to Q&A around detailing, cleaning, paint correction and more specific to these cars. (I don't think I've seen a similar thread yet in this sub)
Post questions - tips - advise etc...

Here are some tips/realizations I've picked up in the few weeks of ownership around detailing and cleaning my Spyder.

1. Raising the rear spoiler during washes help with eliminating trapped soap suds and makes drying easier. Took me a few washes before my aha moment with this.
3. Ceramic coating on wheels is a must with these levels of brake dust. Made washing the wheels much easier. I used Ammo Wheel and Metal ceramic on the wheels and exhaust tips.... https://ammonyc.com/collections/exte...eel-metal-coat

Questions:

1. For those with leather dash - are you protecting that leather with any products? I usually do not apply leather sealants/conditioners etc to brand new leather... This is my first car with leather on the dash.
2. I've noticed that after a wash that when you drive you will get a big spray of water up out of the bumper upper scoop all over the previously clean hood and windshield. Even with blowing this out it still happens... any tips?

Old 06-26-2023, 11:44 AM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
1. For those with leather dash - are you protecting that leather with any products? I usually do not apply leather sealants/conditioners etc to brand new leather... This is my first car with leather on the dash.
I did a 70% tint on the windshield to avoid any issues. My car is garaged 99% of the time but hope this will help. I would advise against putting any product on new leather.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:05 PM
Banana S
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 37 Posts
Lightbulb

I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to Q&A around detailing, cleaning, paint correction and more specific to these cars. (I don't think I've seen a similar thread yet in this sub)
Post questions - tips - advise etc...

[...]
3. Ceramic coating on wheels is a must with these levels of brake dust. Made washing the wheels much easier. I used Ammo Wheel and Metal ceramic on the wheels and exhaust tips.... https://ammonyc.com/collections/exte...eel-metal-coat
While I use ceramic coating on my wheels as well, the best brake dust preventing solution I've found is Outlast Brake Dust Repellent. It works like magic on my cars with silver wheels. Unfortunately, it's not great to use with black or dark grey wheels, since it can leave a white film that kinda defeats the purpose.
Use Sonax Full Effect to clean the wheels once they get dirty, then a new spray of the product above (again, if you have silver wheels).

Last edited by Banana S; 06-26-2023 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added info
The following users liked this post:
slilley (06-27-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 02:12 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,187 Likes on 2,120 Posts

For the GT scoop in the front, I put my air dryer in there and blast it out. That helps with the big spray after a wash which is super annoying. I use a Big Boi air dryer - highly recommend, it is the best tool I have in the car wash arsenal.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
BoxKing (06-27-2023), MrFunk (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 04:02 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

One of my recent best new additions to my vehicle detailing toolset is a lint roller!! Very useful for that final touch after a vacuum on floormats, interior carpeting, trunk carpet...I'm always surprised how much they lift up even after a good vacuum!

The following 4 users liked this post by MrFunk:
Clark_Kent (06-27-2023), Dem bones (07-08-2023), SpeedySpidey (06-26-2023), UncleDude (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 04:03 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UncleDude
For the GT scoop in the front, I put my air dryer in there and blast it out. That helps with the big spray after a wash which is super annoying. I use a Big Boi air dryer - highly recommend, it is the best tool I have in the car wash arsenal.
Do you blast down from the top? Or up from the bottom?
Old 06-26-2023, 04:17 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,688 Likes on 935 Posts

I stopped protecting leather over a decade ago. Leather in cars is actually 'leather'. It's leather with a plastic coating on it. My opinion on why a lot of people's leather looks like absolute crap after 10 years and why mine looks like brand new is because I do not let abrasives (dirt, grime, crud, etc) wear that plastic coating away so that moisture can penetrate into the actual leather.

I clean my interior with a damp microfiber and am not a pig in my cars so it never really gets dirty to begin with. My DD is a 2012 bmw, seats soft supple and crack free. Trim will get a microfiber with glass cleaner as a final touchup so there is no film on it. Car gets left outside all year around too.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
kwikit356 (06-26-2023), UncleDude (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 05:25 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Do you blast down from the top? Or up from the bottom?
Top. The other useful thing with the Big Boi (or any blower) is to open the adjacent door and blow the interior out rather than try and wipe it. I read that in another thread and tried it once, worked well!
Old 06-26-2023, 05:29 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,020 Likes on 516 Posts

Tips:

Best toppers:
- Gyeon WetCoat is an incredible easy/fast topper product to add slick finish that is hydrophobic and repels dirt. Applied on wet surface and sprayed off. Excellent for wheels. Lasts about 3 months.
- DuraSlic FlowX truly insane product. I have never felt slickness like this, nor hydrophobics

Flash rust on rotors:
Tried a few products and techniques to stop flash rust on rotors after washing, which then sprays rust dust all over wheels. Nothing works 100%, although the best results recently were from using Bilt Hamber Atom-Mac, which is very good. I'd say it basically is 90% effective.

Interior:
Use a car blower. Open all doors/hatch and blow outwards. Cluster, buttons, seats, floor, dash. Hugely effective. If you need to wipe down parts, use a detailer with lubrication after blowing dust out.

Best quick detailer:
After wash, use Gyeon Ceramic Detailer. Massive shine pop and slickness. Note quick detailers are only to be used on clean cars after wash.

Best paint cleansers. I use before applying fresh toppers:
- Kamakaze Paint Cleanser
- P21S Cleanser

Best take away tips:
- Invest in a car blower like BigBoi. Saves contact with paint during drying, saves time, far more effective than towels.
- Blow interiors. Reduces swirls on shiny interior finishes and cluster dials. I have literally never wiped my interior, only blow. If I do need to wipe, I use a product with lubrication to prevent chance of swirls.
- Never just hose down car for a quick rinse. You will get water spots.
- Perform a decon wash every 3-6 months to revive paint and bring back hydrophobics.
- Spray APC on wheel wells and let soak for 5 mins before pressure hosing down. Come up like new with out requiring a brush.

Last edited by RoadrunnerGTS; 06-26-2023 at 06:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
BoxKing (06-27-2023), lilbza (06-26-2023), UncleDude (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 05:51 PM
lilbza
Pro

Received 519 Likes on 239 Posts

Will be following this closely. I'm yet to give my new GT4 it's first clean, but it's something I will be doing this weekend after I take it for it's first proper drive.
Old 06-26-2023, 06:35 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Regarding wheels, I've used this and swear it makes my brakes squeal after. I find it impossible not to get on the rotors, it does work though!
Old 06-26-2023, 06:37 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Regarding wheels, I've used this and swear it makes my brakes squeal after. I find it impossible not to get on the rotors, it does work though!
Try P&S Brake Buster. Used it for years and is economical, gentle and effective.
UncleDude (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 06:48 PM
lilbza
Pro

Received 519 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Tips:

Best toppers:
- Gyeon WetCoat is an incredible easy/fast topper product to add slick finish that is hydrophobic and repels dirt. Applied on wet surface and sprayed off. Excellent for wheels. Lasts about 3 months.
- DuraSlic FlowX truly insane product. I have never felt slickness like this, nor hydrophobics

Flash rust on rotors:
Tried a few products and techniques to stop flash rust on rotors after washing, which then sprays rust dust all over wheels. Nothing works 100%, although the best results recently were from using Bilt Hamber Atom-Mac, which is very good. I'd say it basically is 90% effective.

Interior:
Use a car blower. Open all doors/hatch and blow outwards. Cluster, buttons, seats, floor, dash. Hugely effective. If you need to wipe down parts, use a detailer with lubrication after blowing dust out.

Best quick detailer:
After wash, use Gyeon Ceramic Detailer. Massive shine pop and slickness. Note quick detailers are only to be used on clean cars after wash.

Best paint cleansers. I use before applying fresh toppers:
- Kamakaze Paint Cleanser
- P21S Cleanser

Best take away tips:
- Invest in a car blower like BigBoi. Saves contact with paint during drying, saves time, far more effective than towels.
- Blow interiors. Reduces swirls on shiny interior finishes and cluster dials. I have literally never wiped my interior, only blow. If I do need to wipe, I use a product with lubrication to prevent chance of swirls.
- Never just hose down car for a quick rinse. You will get water spots.
- Perform a decon wash every 3-6 months to revive paint and bring back hydrophobics.
- Spray APC on wheel wells and let soak for 5 mins before pressure hosing down. Come up like new with out requiring a brush.
Thanks for the tips and product suggestions. Are all these products safe for cars with ceramic coating?
Old 06-26-2023, 07:00 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lilbza
Thanks for the tips and product suggestions. Are all these products safe for cars with ceramic coating?
100%. My cars are ceramic and/or PPF'd.

Trick with ceramic coated cars is decon wash few times a year (Carpro and Gyeon make good decon shampoos), plus use an iron remover. Then add a topper to act as a sacrificial layer. Doing this will make your base ceramic coating last much longer than manufacturer spec'd. People often think that their ceramic coat is done, but it simply is clogged up with contaminants.

Remember, prepping surface is key.
lilbza (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 08:36 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,096 Likes on 596 Posts

Ooooh love detailing threads!

I love AMMONYC products. My car is PPF'd but even then i still do a regular regiment over the car.

For exterior i wash with a pressure washer, then foam gun with Ammo Foam Paint Cleanser. I then rinse and while car is still wet i spray on ammo reboot. I then rinse again (to spread the Reboot) and then dry with Ammo Hydrate and a damp microfiber towel.

For wheels they are coated using the Reflex Pro Gelee coating and give those a spray of reboot as well to maintain that coating.

For interior i spray some Ammo Lather on a microfiber towel and gently wipe away any dust and dirt that has accumulated on the dash. I like this product a lot as it comes with UV protection and as this car is my daily driver, it sits outside everyday while i'm at work in direct sunlight. Windshield tint is illegal in CA so i have to use other means. For my bucket seats i use lather on the leather and AMMO **** on the alcantara seat cushions as well as the arm rest and the steering wheel.

I love detailing my car and it's one of my favorite pastimes. The reason i went with AMMO even considering it's more expensive and you can't just buy it on Amazon or at your local Autozone is due to how the cleaning process feels when i use the products. The Ammo Foam Paint Cleanser is the most lubricating soap i've ever used on a car and i feel like it's protecting my car a lot better when i use it. I also find my car has a level of depth ive never seen with a Meguires or Mothers product. However everyones taste is different and YMMV.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xxyion:
gt4sf (06-27-2023), MrFunk (06-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Detailers Hub - Tips and Q&A