Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Idle partial PPF question for a Sunday night

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 09:11 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 185 Posts
Default Idle partial PPF question for a Sunday night

Do those here who have partial PPF applied to their cars use the PPF sealant or do you wax the PPF? I have heard both approaches espoused with pros and cons on either side and was curious as to what the folks here think.
TIA,
Pat D
Old 10-30-2023, 12:21 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,691 Likes on 937 Posts

I used to wax but now I do nothing as a result of my experiences in the last few years. I know older PPF had all kinds of downsides, but it has advanced by leaps and bounds over my life. Suntek on my metallic red bmw is probably 3-4 years old and it still doesn't look any different than the rest of the car, and that car doesn't see a garage and is driven all year around and that is the main reason why I do nothing now. My GT4 is carrara white with suntek and parked inside 99.9% of the time so even less chance of it showing signs of being a half wrap.

I have a front end only wrap on my latest car in Xpel and plan to do nothing with that also. I plan to keep that thing for a few years and I assume it'll be fine also.

I believe suntek said if you want to do anything wax it with a non abrasive PPF friendly wax every 1-2 years. Xpel I think said sealant and/or wax is ok for theirs if it was designed for it, but I don't really understand the logic of sealing something that is soft, self healing, and built in uv protection that is designed to be replaced cheaply and all that. Done wrong you're definitely dulling out your ppf and making it noticeablely there.
The following users liked this post:
patdonahue (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 11:12 AM
GianniG60
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating

I went with ceramic coating the entire car (including the interior) so no need to wax. I went with Suntek Reaction and that film has built in hydrophobic properties but my installer recommended ceramic coating and I’m glad I did. My wife’s car has PPF with no ceramic coating and it’s best to keep the film waxed for maximum longevity (especially if parking outside).
We try to wax her car several times a year and the film has lasted over 5 years and looks brand new.
This is my first experience with a ceramic coating and I can tell you so far it is amazing! I never have to wax the car and nothing sticks to it. We’ll see how it holds up overtime but I park in the garage both at home and at work.
Cost to ceramic coat the car was worth it for me since I don’t have time to wax the car like I used to.
patdonahue (10-30-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 01:23 PM
CDACH
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

I have full Xpel PPF. I periodically (every 3 months) will use Gyeon Wet Coat after a full wash. Spray on one panel at a time (on a cool, shaded car, don't over apply) and immediately wash off. Love it.
BoxKing (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 01:40 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 402 Posts

Im an advocate to nix Ceramic over PPF - Ceramic scratches, which defeats the purpose of self-healing PPF. In your case, I would Cramic coat the entire car + the PPF.
There's no sense coating only half the car, leaving the other portions with different hydrophobic properties than the others.

+1 for Wet Coat

Enter car w/PPF = Ceramic on wheels only
No PPF = Ceramic entire car + wheels

Professionals will debate me all day long bc my stance effects their bottom line.
The following 2 users liked this post by BoxKing:
CDACH (11-09-2023), StormRune (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 01:49 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,193 Likes on 2,121 Posts

Originally Posted by patdonahue
Do those here who have partial PPF applied to their cars use the PPF sealant or do you wax the PPF? I have heard both approaches espoused with pros and cons on either side and was curious as to what the folks here think.
TIA,
Pat D
My GTS 4.0 had partial PPF (track package) and the installer applied the same ceramic coating to it as the rest of the car. It looked incredible and was easy to wash and shed the water etc. On my current car, which is a full wrap I did not ask for a coating over the PPF. But I can tell you it needs something, it is sticky, attracts dust, and harder to dry. So I applied an off the shelf graphene / ceramic coating myself (easy!) and it sheds the water nice and has a smooth finish to the touch. I’ll apply that 2 times a year I figure. A bottle was $35. I can’t see paying for a ceramic coating of any kind, again.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:00 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,351 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Check with you PPF installer or manufacturer for compatible products.

I have a partial PPF, on the bits that don’t have PPF it’s paint corrected and ceramic coated.

I apply a ceramic refresh spray to the entire car periodically. Xpel told me that most spray on products are compatible, but you should always check.

Wax? Can’t remember last time I waxed a car…

Old 11-03-2023, 11:02 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

TIA,
Pat D
Hiya Pat! This is Chris W. I've been having PPF applied to my cars since 2000. Didn't know I'd be working for XPEL one day! (2015). We recommend PPF sealant as it's formulated for the film (also helps keep the pores closed), but you can certainly use wax! Taking care of the film is just as important as your paint. As some have already said, it extends the longevity of it. I've a '20 GT4 that's fully wrapped and I ceramic coated it for ease of cleaning. The one thing you want to ensure is that you don't apply any product that has kerosene or petroleum distillates in it as it will discolor the film. PM for any further info!

Old 11-03-2023, 11:46 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 185 Posts

Wow an answer from the folks whose product is on my car! Thanks for the information, Chris. I was not sure if waxing the material would have a deleterious effect over time in terms of a reaction between the wax and film. I am using carnauba wax on the paint and your sealant on the PPF. Yes, it is more work and behind the current state of the art but enjoyable work none the less. it is hard NOT to enjoy running your hands over the curves of these machines.
XPEL (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 06:30 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow an answer from the folks whose product is on my car! Thanks for the information, Chris. I was not sure if waxing the material would have a deleterious effect over time in terms of a reaction between the wax and film. I am using carnauba wax on the paint and your sealant on the PPF. Yes, it is more work and behind the current state of the art but enjoyable work none the less. it is hard NOT to enjoy running your hands over the curves of these machines.
100% agree. My problem is Iove all the models. Especially the GT3RS Tribute Ed.! Anytime I can help shoot me a PM. I'm also on RL w/my personal avatar wcw67 however I'm on RL infrequently. Hence a PM will get my attention quicker!

Quick Reply: Idle partial PPF question for a Sunday night