Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

why so many gt4 for sale compared to gts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 11:52 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,690 Likes on 936 Posts

I always figured it was due to a few factors.

- New GT cars are difficult to get except by those who generally buy a lot of cars. Those that buy a lot of cars also don't stick with any one car very long so tehy end up on the market from that.
- They're almost guaranteed money to flip, so anyone who gets an allocation even if they don't want one, is happy to take one and flip it. Those who are in the business of flipping cars are very interested in getting them.
- It's not a car for everyone. It's a car that will be a bit more extreme than a lot of people are looking for, especially when it comes to pissing their wives off. It sits in the garage and barely gets driven except for pointless trips. When it does get driven if she comes along it's like why does this thing make so much noise and what is wrong with this bucket seat I can't get in and out of easily? Why does the suspension randomly sound like it is about to fall apart? Those who buy them potentially ditch them quietly because they're told to, or they secretly agree it's not the car for them. Because it's a GT car it can probably be sold any time for what you paid for it or close to it, making it easy to get in and out of one for little or no monetary loss.

These cars can pass many many hands quickly (when I was looking at 981 GT4's pre-718 GT4 it wasn't uncommon to find 4 owner cars some with only owning it for a few months) so the frequency of them hitting the market is high....... but eventually GT cars disappear as they settle into permanent ownership by someone who has no interest in selling it like a lot of rare cars.

A GTS is not a car you can flip, nor is it a car that holds its value so it's a depreciating asset meaning it getting out of it quickly is likely going to cost a lot of money. It's also probably the top end of what most average people can buy walking into a dealership. The guy saving up for a Porsche who plans to keep it 'forever' is probably going to have to buy a GTS or lower. The guy who can't afford to buy a new car every 3 months is going to end up with a GTS or lower. It's also easier to live with and more likely to be accepted by a spouse tagging along on trips.

Last edited by Zhao; 02-25-2024 at 12:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
AnandN (02-25-2024), tigerhonaker (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 12:37 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 927 Likes on 432 Posts

There may be more GT4's on the market, but there isn't a glut of realistically priced GT4's on the market. Autotrader shows 86 used GT4's vs 39 GTS's, but if you limit the price to $140k, that becomes 46 GT4's. As always, you can ask whatever you want but the market has the last word.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 03:53 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,690 Likes on 936 Posts

I think they're realistically priced if they're moving. But by Canadian price standards 140k usd is shooting for the moon, missing, and flying off into space to wherever the voyager probe is headed.

We've had a slightly above 140k usd PTS 2021 GT4 for sale for well over a year that hasn't sold up here which I think pretty much sums up how many people are willing to pay 140k+ up here for one. On the low end this winter we have the odd 2020 GT4 that dips under 110k usd but those usually don't stick around long unless there is something weird about them. 2021s and 2022s sub 130K USD are moving up here and nothing really above that. Autotrader USA I see the cheapest 2022 is 141k on the west coast... are people actually paying that?

Last edited by Zhao; 02-25-2024 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:14 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I always figured it was due to a few factors.

- New GT cars are difficult to get except by those who generally buy a lot of cars. Those that buy a lot of cars also don't stick with any one car very long so tehy end up on the market from that.
- They're almost guaranteed money to flip, so anyone who gets an allocation even if they don't want one, is happy to take one and flip it. Those who are in the business of flipping cars are very interested in getting them.
- It's not a car for everyone. It's a car that will be a bit more extreme than a lot of people are looking for, especially when it comes to pissing their wives off. It sits in the garage and barely gets driven except for pointless trips. When it does get driven if she comes along it's like why does this thing make so much noise and what is wrong with this bucket seat I can't get in and out of easily? Why does the suspension randomly sound like it is about to fall apart? Those who buy them potentially ditch them quietly because they're told to, or they secretly agree it's not the car for them. Because it's a GT car it can probably be sold any time for what you paid for it or close to it, making it easy to get in and out of one for little or no monetary loss.

These cars can pass many many hands quickly (when I was looking at 981 GT4's pre-718 GT4 it wasn't uncommon to find 4 owner cars some with only owning it for a few months) so the frequency of them hitting the market is high....... but eventually GT cars disappear as they settle into permanent ownership by someone who has no interest in selling it like a lot of rare cars.

A GTS is not a car you can flip, nor is it a car that holds its value so it's a depreciating asset meaning it getting out of it quickly is likely going to cost a lot of money. It's also probably the top end of what most average people can buy walking into a dealership. The guy saving up for a Porsche who plans to keep it 'forever' is probably going to have to buy a GTS or lower. The guy who can't afford to buy a new car every 3 months is going to end up with a GTS or lower. It's also easier to live with and more likely to be accepted by a spouse tagging along on trips.
Nice analysis Zhao. GT cars are certainly not for everyone and I count myself as one of those timid ones too afraid to own one, price notwithstanding. The GTS variant requires minimal sacrifice for the average Porsche enthusiast like me.

Last edited by AnandN; 02-25-2024 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:25 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

im selling a beautiful gts if anyone is interest

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1390524

Quick Reply: why so many gt4 for sale compared to gts?