Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Swapping GT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 10:52 AM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 604 Likes on 279 Posts

I scrape the driveway every time I drive my car; 15k miles worth. The splitter is easily replaceable. Last time I checked, it was also a lot cheaper than the one I had on my Camaro SS 1LE; go figure
Old 03-04-2024, 11:17 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 417 Likes on 242 Posts

Congratulations on your new GT4! Have any pictures to share?

I will try to encourage you here…

I own a collection of cars, and some of them are very low cars with over 10k or 20k miles on them.

Every single car I own has a pristine lower front chin spoiler that has never been scraped even a single time. True story. This is because I have learned to be extremely careful, and I am obsessive compulsive about not scraping and having virgin chin spoilers. I take my cars everywhere: out to dinner, road trips, grocery, etc.

I take you are your word that your driveway creates a problem for you. However I am wondering if your level of care and your approach in general need to be fine-tuned — are you open-minded to that? I am a former New York guy (Long Island and NYC) and I was able to avoid scrapes while out in public 100% of the time not just by being careful but by knowing how to be careful.

Are you patient enough to spend an entire 40-50-60 seconds creeping down or up on an angle? Are you able to recognize a dip in the road before you arrive at it? Do you care if the guy behind you honks the horn while you take your time? How far will you go in terms of taking steps in order to protect your car?

Most people spend 2-3 seconds thinking the angle thing is sufficient and still scrape. One time my own (older) brother was following me after we had switched cars — I was in his Carrera S and he was in my Carrera GTS which was quite a low car. We approached a really bad change in roadway; I hand signaled to him the danger; I spent about 12 seconds descending and then ascending the dip — no scrape. I watched him in the rear view mirror after I slowly drove ahead and he did NOT drive according to my example — instead, he gave it the old 2-3 seconds and then proceeded to scrape my car which was only a week old. Lazy.

I’m talking an entire minute if necessary on the worst aprons. That sometimes is the opportunity cost for not scraping. The very bad ones require around 10-15 seconds on descent and then the same to exit. You also need to know which driveway aprons you absolutely cannot do, and you need to have the courage to change your original plan by cancelling the idea of such locations altogether or otherwise finding alternative parking.

Note that the plastic brake cooling apparatus sits lower on my Spyder than even the front bumper — check to see if the same scenario exists In your GT4. And you are right to mention the rear-end — many people forget about protecting the rear end once descended onto the roadway and let it rip. Need to go slowly to make sure the rear has cleared also.

I’d be very curious to see pictures of your driveway because I am wondering how it could be this detrimental to your GT4. Also — a roadway that causes scrapes once you’ve departed your home? Again I take you at your word. However I am wondering where this is and whether these things can be overcome.

There is an art to using drive-on ramps and lumber to act as lifts for your car. You drive onto them, raise the car, move them around, etc thereby creating a safe “staircase” for your car to ascend and then descend. Have you tried this at home? (Annoying, yes.) This can be learned from experienced tow truck drivers. (I imagine there are YouTube videos on this.) I made a set of four 2x8 ramps for my 981 Spyder which is extremely low (so low that a normal vehicle lift at a shop can’t clear the rocker panels). I have never had to carry these in the vehicle with me — I only utilize them in the shop for service (I drive onto them to raise the car so the lifting arms can clear). Having these might help you go into and out of your driveway.

For the moment, I recommend keeping an open mind that there may be more to learn here. I imagine you have an open mind which is why you created the thread.

Last edited by 348SStb; 03-04-2024 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:49 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 286 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous-monkey
friend of mine is concerned that it’s very delicate, and after a few more scrapes and whatnot, the whole piece will just fall off and it costs “a couple thousand” to repair each time
Your friend is not correct. My GT3 front lip never fell off and would not have cost a couple of thousand to repair. And most of the time what was scraping was ducts in front of the wheels, not the front lip. And it wasn't doing it every time I was out in the car.
The following users liked this post:
348SStb (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 01:47 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone here have personal experience with the kit mentioned above?
Old 03-04-2024, 01:48 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 247 Posts

The front lip is a consumable item, don't sweat it scraping a little bit every now and then. Porsche know this which is why they are not overly expensive to replace. I love a carbon lip as much as the next guy, but in the real world they are a nightmare hence why Porsche smartly uses plastic.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 02:16 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CurryPuff
If it's a light scrape, sounds loud and horrible, buy if it's just a scrape, don't sweat it. I scrape mine reversing in to my garage and exiting my little one's day care drive way.
After the first 2-3 days, I've stopped cringing. It's a cheap enough replacement part, about $300 or so. Don't sweat it.
If you're scrapping other parts of the body, then I'd be concerned.

This!

The replacement part is cheap, and the scrapes probably won't show because it's at the bottom of the spoiler. The worst part is seeing people laugh when you scrape your Porsche, but it's easy to get into the IDGAF mindset 'just scraping my Porsche to make people feel good that they don't have one' it's a public service!.

At worst, maybe get a less aggressive splitter, like the one on the GTS for example, it's less aggressive, but I'm not sure if it'll fit.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:02 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm a little curious of the CARGRAPHIC kit mentioned above I found it here: CARGRAPHIC AirLift - Lift System for Porsche 718 GT4 seems odd it mentions that it fills either from the onboard compressor or you can make it automatic, I can't imagine anyone who only raises the car using the compressor which would require getting out and hooking things up. I did some searching on this forum in the past about some of the FAL's and my recollection is that folks installing them had some issues. I know someone locally who never got it to work and it caused rubbing especially with track wheel combos so make sure you do some more looking before you put something in.

I'd love to have one if I knew it would work, not so much for what you're discussing as I've already accepted the bottom of that lip is a consumable, but with track tyres on the car I can't get my lift under the car, so now I have to drive it up onto some small ramps whenever I swap wheels.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:18 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 646 Posts

its a $300 consumable part forget it
The following 2 users liked this post by dnimi123:
Jeff Jones (03-05-2024), rwm (03-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Swapping GT4