Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Swapping GT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 11:12 PM
anonymous-monkey
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swapping GT4

hello everyone, just picked up my brand new 2023 718 cayman gt4 on friday, and I'll start by saying I absolutely love it. However, I do also live in New York, and it is a bit of a struggle with how low the car is. Let's put it straight and simple, small things like putting it on my driveway, or even leaving my block (since its downward sloping) I cannot do without scrapping the black lip in the front of the car. And it hurts, I love this thing so much and needing someone to stand outside the car and make sure im at justttt the rightttt angle to get it on my driveway or turn off a street etc, and hearing that scrapping sound of the bottom of the lip, it genuinely hurts my soul. It hurts a lot I spent so much to get this car and I can't even drive it each day without this or anything, or in the rain, etc.

anyways, I came here cause I am not sure what to do. I already fixed my driveway today with cement making it way smoother, and I even (as much as I know some look down upon it) raised the suspension the max it could go (around 1.1 inch). And even with all of this its still an absolute pain. So my question is, what is the solution here? Is there somehow a way to get rid of this front lip all together? Cause I'm pretty sure that solves the problem instantly. Otherwise all I can think of is just swapping it out for another porsche, but I'm not sure what is similar to this where I can actually daily it too and its practical. (I want the looks and the speed).

if anyone knows anything please let me know, heres my email too --> jerrydz1506@gmail.com
Old 03-03-2024, 11:43 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 294 Posts

Get this https://www.designsbyjacob.com/produ...-axle-lift-kit
The following 2 users liked this post by Pokerhobo:
Jeff Jones (03-04-2024), tigerhonaker (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 11:44 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,098 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous-monkey
hello everyone, just picked up my brand new 2023 718 cayman gt4 on friday, and I'll start by saying I absolutely love it. However, I do also live in New York, and it is a bit of a struggle with how low the car is. Let's put it straight and simple, small things like putting it on my driveway, or even leaving my block (since its downward sloping) I cannot do without scrapping the black lip in the front of the car. And it hurts, I love this thing so much and needing someone to stand outside the car and make sure im at justttt the rightttt angle to get it on my driveway or turn off a street etc, and hearing that scrapping sound of the bottom of the lip, it genuinely hurts my soul. It hurts a lot I spent so much to get this car and I can't even drive it each day without this or anything, or in the rain, etc.

anyways, I came here cause I am not sure what to do. I already fixed my driveway today with cement making it way smoother, and I even (as much as I know some look down upon it) raised the suspension the max it could go (around 1.1 inch). And even with all of this its still an absolute pain. So my question is, what is the solution here? Is there somehow a way to get rid of this front lip all together? Cause I'm pretty sure that solves the problem instantly. Otherwise all I can think of is just swapping it out for another porsche, but I'm not sure what is similar to this where I can actually daily it too and its practical. (I want the looks and the speed).

if anyone knows anything please let me know, heres my email too --> jerrydz1506@gmail.com
There is a company that makes a front lift kit for the GT4, i cant remember off the top of my head what it is but i'm sure a quick google search will give you the right answer. It sucks that the solution is to spend a bunch more money but unfortunetly a sports car like the GT4 and the city just dont mix. IMO do your best to k eep the car. Its a special thing and AFAIK it will be the last of its kind as the next 718 will be EV. Other than Lotus, noone else makes a true mid-engine sports car .that handles as well as these cars do.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:12 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,758 Likes on 692 Posts

I scrape a small amount every time I leave my garage. No real damage after several years and all the scrapes are on the underside of an easily replaced part.

If you can't live with it, you can get the Design by Jacob lift already linked above, or raise the ride height of your GT4. It is super easy to change the ride height of the GT4 and Spyder.

I just learned to live with the sound and it doesn't bother me anymore.

Jeff
Old 03-04-2024, 01:25 AM
CurryPuff
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

If it's a light scrape, sounds loud and horrible, buy if it's just a scrape, don't sweat it. I scrape mine reversing in to my garage and exiting my little one's day care drive way.
After the first 2-3 days, I've stopped cringing. It's a cheap enough replacement part, about $300 or so. Don't sweat it.
If you're scrapping other parts of the body, then I'd be concerned.
The following 2 users liked this post by CurryPuff:
confused66 (03-05-2024), Mike981S (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 03:04 AM
anonymous-monkey
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
how long does it take to ship? also would it be any useful if i already raised the ride height the highest it goes?
Old 03-04-2024, 03:06 AM
anonymous-monkey
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I scrape a small amount every time I leave my garage. No real damage after several years and all the scrapes are on the underside of an easily replaced part.

If you can't live with it, you can get the Design by Jacob lift already linked above, or raise the ride height of your GT4. It is super easy to change the ride height of the GT4 and Spyder.

I just learned to live with the sound and it doesn't bother me anymore.

Jeff

friend of mine is concerned that it’s very delicate, and after a few more scrapes and whatnot, the whole piece will just fall off and it costs “a couple thousand” to repair each time
Old 03-04-2024, 03:54 AM
CurryPuff
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

The trim piece soft and flexible for this very reason. You can flex it easily with your hand.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:02 AM
Mike981S
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous-monkey
friend of mine is concerned that it’s very delicate, and after a few more scrapes and whatnot, the whole piece will just fall off and it costs “a couple thousand” to repair each time
The trim piece is cheap. It used to be under $200 for my 981 GT4 though prices have doubled in the last 8 years it seems. Here is the 718 GT4 part from Suncoast.

GT4 Bumper Spoiler Lip : Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories (suncoastparts.com)

I have a spare one in my garage for the 981 GT4 if I ever get the need to replace mine.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:18 AM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 533 Likes on 309 Posts

The front lip is not cost prohibitive to replace, definitely hundreds not thousands.

since you’re thinking of removing the lip all together, why not keep scraping it, if it then gets too damaged, can just remove it. But maybe the scrape will bother you less and less. It doesn’t bother me at all (live in Brooklyn) and treat it as a consumable. Although after 10k miles it’s nowhere near needing replacing.

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 08:24 AM
baege
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 103 Posts

scrape shmape, no biggie, you will get used it
if you can't live it with you could trade for a gts 4.0 with pasm instead of spasm, you still get the amazing drivetrain and much more liveable in the city
or the front lift kit is another good solution suggested
Old 03-04-2024, 08:52 AM
rsch
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

CarGraphic has a front axle kit available. I prepared a couple of Rubber doormats for steel driveways. The unavailabity of FAL, contratto to RS models Is a great PITA btw
Old 03-04-2024, 08:58 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 403 Posts

Honestly there is nothing you can do to avoid scraping, and you should have done your research before buying this car. Its a disposable item, and for $300 you can replace it when you see fit. No shot I'd ever raise my GT4 to look like a 4x4. Just deal with it, stop complaining, and enjoy the car for what it is, not what you want it to be which is another car.

You could try adding something like this: https://ind-distribution.com/product...97eb6a60&_ss=r
Old 03-04-2024, 10:41 AM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 735 Likes on 398 Posts

It's been said about a dozen times here... don't worry about it. It's entirely normal and I don't think I've had a single sports car that didn't have a scuffed up underside of the front lip.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:44 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

Ah, the new Rennlist vs the old Rennlist.🤬
The following users liked this post:
gt3rs. (03-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Swapping GT4