Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Sell My BGTS this summer, or wait a year until they are no longer available?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 03:57 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,551 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
This 100%. While i totally get the idea of investing to have more money later, i also have first hand experience that life is just too short to miss out what could bring so much joy in the now. Yes i've wasted money on way too many cars in the past 7 years. And if i pool all the money ive spent on cars and the mods i've bought together it would easily add up to a down payment for a house here in the SF Bay Area. But like you said, the amount of smiles that i've had through the years is so much more valuable to me than the money i could have saved. I've had experiences i never would have had, i made friends i never would have met and learned so much about a subject i would know nothing about had i chosen to invest the money rather than spend it. If i could do it all over again, i'd probably just choose different cars.

THIS X2!!!!

There is a balance. What is the point of hoarding all the money and making every last extra % on it if you do not get to enjoy it on life. Then time marches on and soon you are 65-70 and not be able to do anything with all that money you have collected, well except hand it down to the lucky SOB heir that then gets a free ride and will just blow it on rich kid stuff.

Take this with a grain salt as I am divorced (but in a long term relationship and much happier), but I also do not agree that you HAVE to sped $500K on public school education and if I had a spouse who REQUIRED and DEMANDED that, then I would be looking hard at the person you are deciding to spend your life with. Reminds me of the girl I was dating a long time ago who told me IF we ever got married, she required a Tiffany ring. Unless you have a child that requires special attention or has specific needs (like Cole in Mr. Holland's Opus), there is no need to spend that kind of money for a public education. Sure law school or to be a doctor or surgeon, but not a 7-12th grade public education as that seems quite off the scale extreme.

Last edited by TRZ06; 03-12-2024 at 04:00 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by TRZ06:
confused66 (03-16-2024), maschinetheist (03-14-2024), Mike981S (03-12-2024), Xxyion (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 04:30 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 927 Likes on 432 Posts

While I've made some dumb financial decisions over the years (cars), I've never spent a dime on anti-depressants because the strongest known to man have always been sitting in my garages.
The following users liked this post:
Xxyion (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 05:56 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 249 Posts

If one has to sell a car, even a 100-150k car, to finance some other big ticket item, then that car should not have been purchased in the first place. Sorry if that comes across as judgemental but that is my philosophy regarding toys.. Maybe that's why I had to wait until I was 52 to buy my first Porsche. I didn't inherit anything and had to accumulate enough funds through work and savings to first pay off the house etc. before indulging in expensive toys.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:22 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,096 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
If one has to sell a car, even a 100-150k car, to finance some other big ticket item, then that car should not have been purchased in the first place. Sorry if that comes across as judgemental but that is my philosophy regarding toys.. Maybe that's why I had to wait until I was 52 to buy my first Porsche. I didn't inherit anything and had to accumulate enough funds through work and savings to first pay off the house etc. before indulging in expensive toys.
Eh, i think it is a bit of a harsh judgment tbh. Because from what OP said, it sounded like they werent originally going to spend that much but then plans change. Plans always change, and the funds that were normally allocated towards the toy sometimes need to be reallocated towards things that arent. You cant plan for everything. And while i agree if you already had the big ticket item on the books and bought a 100k car in the hopes that you could afford both...then yeah i can agree with that. But that doesnt sound like the case here.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:27 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Eh, i think it is a bit of a harsh judgment tbh. Because from what OP said, it sounded like they werent originally going to spend that much but then plans change. Plans always change, and the funds that were normally allocated towards the toy sometimes need to be reallocated towards things that arent. You cant plan for everything. And while i agree if you already had the big ticket item on the books and bought a 100k car in the hopes that you could afford both...then yeah i can agree with that. But that doesnt sound like the case here.
We digress but I am a very cautious old guy and I thank my wife for my financial sense. We have always left a large cushion for big ticket items. Otherwise wouldn't have been able to buy (at least a big chunk of ) a winter home in southern Florida at the height of the pandemic. When I bought my new 911 in 2017, we made sure that, that future wasn't jeopardized. Still, one can't plan for every eventuality so yeah, I agree to that.
If the OP loves the BGTS, IMO, he should keep it. It is the end of an era and is a classic. 100k is not going to make a big difference to pay for private school for two kids. if it was a 911 with a turbo six, yeah I would sell that.

Last edited by AnandN; 03-12-2024 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:39 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,096 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
We digress but I am a very cautious old guy and I thank my wife for my financial sense. We have always left a large cushion for big ticket items. Otherwise wouldn't have been able to buy (at least a big chunk of ) a winter home in southern Florida at the height of the pandemic. When I bought my new 911 in 2017, we made sure that, that future wasn't jeopardized. Still, one can't plan for every eventuality so yeah, I agree to that.
If the OP loves the BGTS, IMO, he should keep it. It is the end of an era and is a classic. 100k is not going to make a big difference to pay for private school for two kids. if it was a 911 with a turbo six, yeah I would sell that.
I do agree with that. it sounds like 500k over the next 7 years. selling a car thats 110k at maybe 100k isnt going to make much of a dent, especially if the car is still being financed. i get the extra insurance and registration and all that. But theres ways around to make that significantly cheaper.
Mike981S (03-12-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 10:24 AM
baege
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 103 Posts

sounds like the OP has already decided to sell, and I think that's the right move in terms of maximizing what you get for it.
it's clear that used GTS 4.0 values have declined significantly since last spring (they are now going for MSRP or slightly above when they were previously going for quite a bit higher than MSRP in the CDN market at least)
I don't think there are enough of us NA loving enthusiasts to make GTS 4.0 values go up when the new 718 is released, as ZHAO pointed out, a big part of the market is really just about image and the latest and greatest
maybe long term appreciation for the 4.0's, but I think they will likely hold value in the short term but not really appreciate
Old 03-14-2024, 03:17 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

I wish the OP well--I'm no financial advisor but if the public schools aren't to your liking, I'd move vs. spending $500K/$60K per year for private primary schooling. Not sure what's going on with public schools in MO. Boy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paul S.:
mc3456 (03-14-2024), Mike981S (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 07:24 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul S.
I wish the OP well--I'm no financial advisor but if the public schools aren't to your liking, I'd move vs. spending $500K/$60K per year for private primary schooling. Not sure what's going on with public schools in MO. Boy.
I am a scientist and I worked in MA for three decades and have family there in Boston and Cambridge. Want a great public school? Move to Cambridge, Lexington, Newton etc. A lot of the kids from those schools make it to MIT and Harvard.
Mike981S (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 08:06 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by ttcbj
So, I love my BGTS 4.0, but my wife and unexpectedly decided to send our two kids to private school in grades 7-12. We planned for everything, except this, which we had both explicitly ruled out in our planning. The best public school district in the state of Missouri was good enough for us, we said! Opps. It will end up being an extra $500k over the next 8 years, and its making me feel grumpy about highly discretionary expenses.

Anyway, if I sell it this summer, with high interest rates and new BGTS still available, do you think I'm going to feel stupid the following summer when I look at used prices? This year will be my 3-year service, so it should be (relatively) cheap. On the other hand, selling it with a longer warranty and fewer miles is probably more attractive to a buyer, and all else being equal I would expect about ~10k in depreciation per year.

I think probably I should just sell it. But I do worry I'm going to feel stupid when I look at prices come June 2025.
If you have a daughter/daughters, you may regret selling your GTS 4.0 when they become teenagers and behave like they hate your guts while you’re dropping significant coin on their private school tuition. Been there, done that. Though my daughter ended up at Vanderbilt and was recently accepted to a medical school, I don't think her private high school experience had any impact whatsoever, in fact in this day and age, private school might even work against her/them when applying to college. My daughter was already a top student at one of the best public high schools in MA. Of course, I say all that tongue in cheek...sort of. 😏

Last edited by mc3456; 03-15-2024 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:18 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
If you have a daughter/daughters like I also have, you will seriously regret selling your GTS 4.0 when they become teenagers and act like they hate your guts while you’re dropping serious coin on their Private School. Been there done that. Though my daughter ended up going to Vanderbilt and was recently accepted to Med School, I don't think her Private High School experience made any difference whatsoever, in fact in this day and age, private school might even work against her/them when applying to college, especially the way things are these days. My daughter was already a top student at one of the top 10 public high schools in MA. Of course, I say all that tongue in cheek...sort of. 😏
private pre college school vs public is not a guarantee either way.

I have a graduate degree from Harvard, yet I attended only very average pre college public schools and a good public university.
ChrisF (03-17-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 08:16 AM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 529 Likes on 306 Posts

We cannot predict the future, if you want to sell, just sell. The peace of mind will be worth something as well.

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram

Quick Reply: Sell My BGTS this summer, or wait a year until they are no longer available?