Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Long winter nap is over!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 11:01 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 570 Posts
Default Long winter nap is over!

Every fall (Oct/Nov) we put cars in winter mode, and typically go away for a few months. Every spring, we return to the last days of winter (sometimes a blizzard and sometimes it’s already Spring-like).

For the first time in 10+ years of winters away, we arrived home and within 45 minutes I was driving the GT4!! What a joy!

After pulling the Cayenne into the garage (which was fully loaded with two bikes plus 3 months of stuff), I wanted to get some groceries while hubby turned on the water, and began our “arrival protocol”. The Macan was 3+ months out-of-inspection because we couldn’t get it done before we left (it’s now updated). That was the perfect “excuse”. We took the cover off the GT4, bled the extra air from the tires and voila! I was running errands on a gorgeous 65F degree day with roads cleaned by recent heavy rains. I drove almost 40 miles, making various stops and going the LONG way

In the week we’ve been home, I’ve driven it 3 times! It’s such a treat to drive the GT4, and extra special when it’s been stored for months. The past several years the GT4 hasn’t seen daylight until April.

Anyone else “awaking” from a long winter nap?
The following 13 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
981KMAN (03-17-2024), BoxKing (03-17-2024), chriswd62 (03-18-2024), coldfire (03-17-2024), dnimi123 (03-17-2024), DP8 (03-18-2024), magnus89 (03-18-2024), Mike981S (03-17-2024), MOGI (03-21-2024), RxVol (03-17-2024), SpeedySpidey (03-17-2024), tigerhonaker (03-17-2024), UncleDude (03-17-2024) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-17-2024, 12:21 PM
MEGY911
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Maine here - we could still easily get snow for another five or six weeks so i'm optimistic about the good weather we have at the moment. I have completed my winter car projects though and am itching to get her out on the roads.

Just needs a registration, state inspection and oil change then she'll be ready around mid April I think...
Old 03-17-2024, 01:43 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 398 Posts

Those first couple drives after winter storage are always special - especially in an open top car!
Unfortunately here in the MSP area, roads are still dusted in the oversalting done by the state anxious to get through it's snow removal budget (even though we've barely had any accumulating snow this year).
And similar to MEGY - we could easily get good snowfall through end of April.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (03-17-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 02:21 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 797 Posts
Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Every fall (Oct/Nov) we put cars in winter mode, and typically go away for a few months. Every spring, we return to the last days of winter (sometimes a blizzard and sometimes it’s already Spring-like).

For the first time in 10+ years of winters away, we arrived home and within 45 minutes I was driving the GT4!! What a joy!

After pulling the Cayenne into the garage (which was fully loaded with two bikes plus 3 months of stuff), I wanted to get some groceries while hubby turned on the water, and began our “arrival protocol”. The Macan was 3+ months out-of-inspection because we couldn’t get it done before we left (it’s now updated). That was the perfect “excuse”. We took the cover off the GT4, bled the extra air from the tires and voila! I was running errands on a gorgeous 65F degree day with roads cleaned by recent heavy rains. I drove almost 40 miles, making various stops and going the LONG way

In the week we’ve been home, I’ve driven it 3 times! It’s such a treat to drive the GT4, and extra special when it’s been stored for months. The past several years the GT4 hasn’t seen daylight until April.

Carol,

Haven't been in touch with you for Way-way to Longgggggggggggggggggg

Nice to see a post from you and you as always enjoying your GT4.

I now have a little over 9,000 miles on my GT4.
Had Lots & lots of additions/changes and re-changes to it over those 9,000 miles.

To me the most dramatic was when I had the SOUL V2 exhaust installed and the SOUL V1 removed.
I also had the SOUL "Sound Symposer Delete" removed and put back to stock.

Anyway, just saw your post and you enjoying your GT4 so wanted to say Hello.

Terry Honaker
Franklin, TN.
USA
Old 03-17-2024, 02:50 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Carol,

Haven't been in touch with you for Way-way to Longgggggggggggggggggg

Nice to see a post from you and you as always enjoying your GT4.

I now have a little over 9,000 miles on my GT4.
Had Lots & lots of additions/changes and re-changes to it over those 9,000 miles.

To me the most dramatic was when I had the SOUL V2 exhaust installed and the SOUL V1 removed.
I also had the SOUL "Sound Symposer Delete" removed and put back to stock.

Anyway, just saw your post and you enjoying your GT4 so wanted to say Hello.

Terry Honaker
Franklin, TN.
USA
Hi Terry, I’ve followed your thread and read all about your updates. It sounds like you’re really enjoying your car and I am happy for you! I still love mine and drive it every chance I get. Life has gotten in the way of driving the past couple years so I’m hoping this year I can rack up more “smiles”. Cheers!

Originally Posted by MEGY911
Maine here - we could still easily get snow for another five or six weeks so i'm optimistic about the good weather we have at the moment. I have completed my winter car projects though and am itching to get her out on the roads.

Just needs a registration, state inspection and oil change then she'll be ready around mid April I think...
Yes, same here. Some of our worst snow storms have been end of March and early April. We’re not out of the woods yet, but CLOSE!!

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Those first couple drives after winter storage are always special - especially in an open top car!
Unfortunately here in the MSP area, roads are still dusted in the oversalting done by the state anxious to get through it's snow removal budget (even though we've barely had any accumulating snow this year).
And similar to MEGY - we could easily get good snowfall through end of April.
Our state is also somewhat aggressive about road treatment. We had a sub-freezing night and the roads were treated (even though it didn’t seem necessary). I’m told it was a mild winter with only a small amount of accumulating snow. Our driveway was only plowed a couple times. But the state wants to use up the current supply so they can order more for next year! Oh well…we’ll get more rain and soon enough the roads will stay clean!
The following 2 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
MrFunk (03-17-2024), tigerhonaker (03-18-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 05:09 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage

For the first part of my life, I had these problems; but I moved to Florida in part to solve them. Glad you came home to good weather 🌞
The following 3 users liked this post by 348SStb:
AnandN (03-17-2024), GTSPYDER23 (03-17-2024), tigerhonaker (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 09:47 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 348SStb
For the first part of my life, I had these problems; but I moved to Florida in part to solve them. Glad you came home to good weather 🌞
Thank you!

FL is not an option for us, as we find it far too hot/humid much of the year (even winter). We love the change of seasons. I even like winter…just not 5 months in a row. When we go south we choose SC where temps tend to be milder than home, but still “cool” (many days in the 50s & 60s). But I definitely understand why people choose to move away from the north. We started wintering in FL but kept going further north until we found a climate that appealed to us. But that same area in summer would be unappealling (for us).

Yesterday I put another 30 miles on the GT4. We’d had some heavy rains that washed away the road chemicals from a couple days prior. It’s at almost 8400 miles which is several 1000s short of where it “should” be…but life happens and I’ll take what I can get!
The following 4 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
BoxKing (03-18-2024), Mike981S (03-18-2024), SpeedySpidey (03-18-2024), tigerhonaker (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 02:34 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

We were in Phoenix area this winter for a couple weeks in early Feb - in the Chandler area.
The weather was perfect. Cool in the evenings - nice during the day - not hot... I wish I could have had my Spyder down there during the trip... good cool motoring air!
The following 2 users liked this post by MrFunk:
needmoregarage (03-18-2024), tigerhonaker (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 10:43 PM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 245 Posts

We had almost two weeks of Spring like weather up here in Toronto. LOADs of toys were out, even saw multiple biker meets! But now this week and next are barely above freezing... so the wait continues. I usually aim for mid-April or May 1st. The weather usually settles by then, the salt trucks are gone, and the rain has washed up the roads nicely. Oh, and the cops get their fix of cracking down on the Spring car-fever by then, too
needmoregarage (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 04:42 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

^ I agree…the wait continues!

This morning:

Old 03-19-2024, 05:51 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 622 Likes on 401 Posts

Here I thought this was a happy thread with a continuing warm trend.....sigh.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:29 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Yes…I had high hopes. Hubby went out today and said the street is white with “salt”. It’s gonna stay cold for a little while. Maybe the next heavy rain with warm-up will be the end of the “white stuff”. I’m leaving the winter tires on the Macan as “insurance”, and we never take our driveway plowing stakes out until April XX. (Never a guarantee but makes me feel better…)

I guess in Naples FL the only “white stuff” you have to worry about (on the roads) is sand (and the white-topped drivers who can’t turn their head to see if you’re coming…)
tigerhonaker (03-20-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 06:58 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

We're now expecting 3-5 inches by Friday. Then more over the weekend... April last year we had one of our biggest snow storms... It's not over yet...
tigerhonaker (03-20-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:03 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 306 Posts

I simply could not do it.

Last edited by rwbern; 03-19-2024 at 07:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rwbern:
AnandN (03-19-2024), needmoregarage (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:13 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

When it comes to being outdoors, I’d rather be too cold, than too warm. But having 65 degree days following by 29 degrees with snow is kinda hard to take.
Much easier if we were on a linear path. It’s the “up and down” that’s tough to take.
The following 2 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
MEGY911 (03-20-2024), tigerhonaker (03-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Long winter nap is over!