Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Final Check for GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 12:48 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,344 Likes on 1,926 Posts

You’re likely going to miss the 4RS and 992.1 GT3 for allocations. GT3 for sure as it’s winding down now.

I’d just get the spec you want, who knows what the future will bring.

Why not just get the 4RS instead of the GTS?
Old 03-25-2024, 01:10 PM
authenticamd
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
You’re likely going to miss the 4RS and 992.1 GT3 for allocations. GT3 for sure as it’s winding down now.

I’d just get the spec you want, who knows what the future will bring.

Why not just get the 4RS instead of the GTS?
I'd prefer to spec the 4RS directly and perhaps it's too naive, but thinking it'll be less than what is being asked second hand. Did you mean to say GT4?
Old 03-25-2024, 01:15 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,344 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by authenticamd
I'd prefer to spec the 4RS directly and perhaps it's too naive, but thinking it'll be less than what is being asked second hand. Did you mean to say GT4?
Oh ok, thinking about picking up a used 4RS, then.

I don't think anyone can predict future MV on these RS cars...even though many will give you an opinion.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:22 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,096 Likes on 596 Posts

I think what he was asking is why wouldnt you try to secure an Allocation for the GT4RS now instead of buying a GTS? As myself and some others have said, the GT4RS will only be in production for another year or so. And the ADMS being asked for the car wont really go down that much.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:52 PM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

The rear wiper.....now that I can agree that most people don't get. I think it does break the lines. However I'm a big dashcam guy and have all my cars setup with 2 channel dashcams. Thus the justification is that the wiper will keep the rear window clean. Yes if I was diligent and waxed / coated the rear screen, then this is moot.
I have had dual dash cams in my caymans for years without rear wiper. Unless you have snow on the rear window or frequently get it muddy, it won’t be an issue. It’s sculpted in a way that dirt doesn’t stick much to affect the rear dashcam operation.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:05 PM
authenticamd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I think what he was asking is why wouldnt you try to secure an Allocation for the GT4RS now instead of buying a GTS? As myself and some others have said, the GT4RS will only be in production for another year or so. And the ADMS being asked for the car wont really go down that much.
The short answer is I don't make enough. That's what I get for kids, bigger house in a HCOL state. The 4.0 will have to do.
The following users liked this post:
Big Belly 711 (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 03:15 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 927 Likes on 432 Posts

The short answer is I don't make enough. That's what I get for kids, bigger house in a HCOL state. The 4.0 will have to do.
It'll do. Kids and a decent house are higher priorities.
authenticamd (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 04:13 PM
authenticamd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maschinetheist
I have had dual dash cams in my caymans for years without rear wiper. Unless you have snow on the rear window or frequently get it muddy, it won’t be an issue. It’s sculpted in a way that dirt doesn’t stick much to affect the rear dashcam operation.
That is good to know. I know airflow can make a difference. For example, on the Honda Odyssey there is low pressure zone from the sudden drop off, and dirt and rain will saturate the rear window.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
macrs
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny thing is that I would be OK with a 991.2 GT3 if they were reasonably priced. But at the new build price point, it would make sense to get the 992. I'd also prefer the GT3 because of the manual. But good point about asking the dealer about what they would prefer. I've pretty much spec'd as what I wanted it as, and am firm on the LWBS even if it's bad for resell.
LWBS can be parted out later on if you wish. There will be folks who will want to trade their sofa seats for LWBS + cash.

And I don't think LWBS are bad for resale in general; you'll find enthusiasts who will want LWBS on a car and will pay for them.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:46 PM
Phillip Berk
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts

As someone going through the exact same process right now, man it is hard to pick the right options, even with the mantra of speccing what you want, you still want to so called spec it "right" and there are just so many options, it also easy to get carried away and go above what you would really ever need, I love my stitched leather and picked the column case and the floor mats with leather (along with full leather as well) but stopped myself at the side sills and extended door/dash, since it is not easy to spot, or the seatbacks. At the end of the day it is nice to get input from other owners, at least in my opinion, also just made the same thread lol. I love the shark blue, and while the blue with the red accents inside is bold, I do think it looks good together! I don't know if a GTS will get a 4RS at msrp, but should prob help with an allocation, or maybe the chance to order a 992.2 GT3?, try and bring clients over, seems to help my buddy who got me my allocation at MSRP, he also just got another mutual a Targa 4 GTS at msrp, which is pretty nuts given the market on those... he is working towards a 992 3RS to match his 991.2 3RS.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:57 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,688 Likes on 935 Posts

As said if you can't get a GT3/4RS allocation today you're not getting one at all unless you can throw gobs and gobs of money at it, so I wouldn't spec the car assuming you're going to get out of it soon and into one of those.

That said another vote for less options the better on resale if you do need to get out of it quickly. I've literally seen PCCB LWB bloat builds at my local dealer priced almost identical to an almost stripper car.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:44 AM
authenticamd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by macrs
LWBS can be parted out later on if you wish. There will be folks who will want to trade their sofa seats for LWBS + cash.

And I don't think LWBS are bad for resale in general; you'll find enthusiasts who will want LWBS on a car and will pay for them.
That is what I was thinking as well. I've was considering the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio at one point and sat in the buckets and thought they were great. I'm expecting that from the LWBS and know there are aftermarket inserts and position adjustments that can be done to help if necessary.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:56 AM
authenticamd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Phillip Berk
As someone going through the exact same process right now, man it is hard to pick the right options, even with the mantra of speccing what you want, you still want to so called spec it "right" and there are just so many options, it also easy to get carried away and go above what you would really ever need, I love my stitched leather and picked the column case and the floor mats with leather (along with full leather as well) but stopped myself at the side sills and extended door/dash, since it is not easy to spot, or the seatbacks. At the end of the day it is nice to get input from other owners, at least in my opinion, also just made the same thread lol. I love the shark blue, and while the blue with the red accents inside is bold, I do think it looks good together! I don't know if a GTS will get a 4RS at msrp, but should prob help with an allocation, or maybe the chance to order a 992.2 GT3?, try and bring clients over, seems to help my buddy who got me my allocation at MSRP, he also just got another mutual a Targa 4 GTS at msrp, which is pretty nuts given the market on those... he is working towards a 992 3RS to match his 991.2 3RS.
The funny thing is that the CGTS 4.0 has less options than the 911 right now. I cross shopped a Carrera T and there are so many more options and the price starts to get up there. At a certain point, I'd think GT4RS, GT3 makes sense. Of course there is the ADM issue. Also, wanted to give the NA engine experience vs turbos as I've been driving turbo Subarus for the last 15 years.

I agree on the owner feedback. And that was the point of this thread. I know mine is not completely unique, but with the color combinations and base options, it's good to get perspective from others.

I love the shark blue and was not expecting to get it as I've been hearing the factory rejecting that color. But I got lucky and found an adjustable allocation that had no issues with it. As for the red accents, it was either that or chalk color. While I like the chalk stitching and dials, the seatbelts in chalk was a little too much.

At this point and after some research, I'm certain there is no chance for me to get a 4RS, GT3 allocation, let alone close to MSRP. Maybe I could convince a friend to purchase from there, but I don't know if it'll change the calculus.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:02 AM
authenticamd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zhao
As said if you can't get a GT3/4RS allocation today you're not getting one at all unless you can throw gobs and gobs of money at it, so I wouldn't spec the car assuming you're going to get out of it soon and into one of those.

That said another vote for less options the better on resale if you do need to get out of it quickly. I've literally seen PCCB LWB bloat builds at my local dealer priced almost identical to an almost stripper car.
Thanks for the data point. I think you're right, about resale and allocations probability. I think options like LWBS, wheels just add cost without much return if sold to the dealership. I think wheels don't have great aftermarket value, but the LWBS will likely find a home. The other options aren't aren't as costly. But in the end, it is spec'd as how I'd like it as a forever car. At this point, it's turbo wheels or just silver / satin platinum wheels, and the polarizing rear wiper.
macrs (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 06:02 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Unless you will be tracking the car, I don't personally get paying $5900 for the full bucket seat option. For street only use, to me that's just a racer boy option but you do you.

Also, if you're going to delete the GTS 4.0 logo on the doors, consider deleting the model designation on the rear--too wordy for my taste. My 2022 BGTS 4.0 CPO had both emblems deleted (which is how I would have ordered one, personally). I also don't care for the rear wiper particularly on one you're not going to daily drive. To me it ruins the look, and if they're anything like how they used to be on 996-997's, they're a body scratch waiting to happen, the first time someone lifts the wiper arm all the way up and it drops down accidently and hits the paint adjacent to the rear window.

Also consider the door sill guards, if you're going to have ladies in heels ride shotgun.

Lastly I'd get the gearshift in deviated stitching to go with the Carmen Red stitching you're getting with the GTS package.

Quick Reply: Final Check for GTS 4.0