Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Final Check for GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 07:41 AM
authenticamd
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Final Check for GTS 4.0

Hello all. Currently driving a 2020 STI and getting my first Porsche, which is a Cayman GTS 4.0. I like shark blue, and it has been confirmed as available to order. I am also a fan of bucket seats. I am 5' 11'' around 184lb, so I don't believe it should be an issue. 6MT because driving engagement is something that is a must. This will not be a daily driver as I plan to keep the Subaru for a mostly daily and the 4.0 for Fridays. I prefer a brighter look, hence the non-black wheels, headlight washer, badge color. Note, I am keeping the model designation so I can de-badge on arrival. Other options I am flexible with. Lock date is 4/1/2024.

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRXEP8F6

Thoughts on my current configuration. I know this is taboo, but I do want to keep resale value in mind. The reason is because I want to keep my options open for a possible for a future GT4RS / GT3 allocation. At least I want the be prepared for the slim chance that the next MY Cayman will have matrix LED headlights.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:57 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 882 Likes on 353 Posts

Regarding the headlights, the EV 718 will have that option based on everything else having it, but the current ICE 718 will be a carryover without any changes.

Also, if you’re interested in resale don’t add $20k worth of options to the car. Most of these don’t add much in terms of value to a secondary buyer. They can make the car more appealing but they won’t bring a $20k premium over a “lesser” equipped GTS. This is especially true if you plan on trading in. For example, knock it down to the standard wheels and get rid of the LWBS for 18-ways. That alone shaves about $5k off the price of the car and is more in line with other GTS spec cars in terms of price.

Originally Posted by authenticamd
Hello all. Currently driving a 2020 STI and getting my first Porsche, which is a Cayman GTS 4.0. I like shark blue, and it has been confirmed as available to order. I am also a fan of bucket seats. I am 5' 11'' around 184lb, so I don't believe it should be an issue. 6MT because driving engagement is something that is a must. This will not be a daily driver as I plan to keep the Subaru for a mostly daily and the 4.0 for Fridays. I prefer a brighter look, hence the non-black wheels, headlight washer, badge color. Note, I am keeping the model designation so I can de-badge on arrival. Other options I am flexible with. Lock date is 4/1/2024.

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRXEP8F6

Thoughts on my current configuration. I know this is taboo, but I do want to keep resale value in mind. The reason is because I want to keep my options open for a possible for a future GT4RS / GT3 allocation. At least I want the be prepared for the slim chance that the next MY Cayman will have matrix LED headlights.

Last edited by TXRubicon; 03-25-2024 at 08:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXRubicon:
authenticamd (03-25-2024), Bearrun21 (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 08:23 AM
authenticamd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
Regarding the headlights, the EV 718 will have that option based on everything else having it, but the current ICE 718 will be a carryover without any changes.

Also, if you’re interested in resale don’t add $20k worth of options to the car. Most of these don’t add much in terms of value to a secondary buyer. They can make the car more appealing but they won’t bring a $20k premium over a “lesser” equipped GTS. This is especially true if you plan on trading in. For example, knock it down to the standard wheels and get rid of the LWBS for 18-ways. That alone shaves about $5k off the price of the car and is more in line with other GTS spec cars in terms of price.
Thanks for the reply. I agree with what you've said. I guess it's really not possible to have my cake and eat it too. Realistically this will probably be a keeper. As for the wheels, I can be convinced to spec it or not. From what I've researched there is not weight difference, but the turbo wheels are forged. Perhaps it makes sense to get aftermarket forged with better weight while keeping the price the same?

Too bad about the headlights as I think they are a big deal when "properly" programmed. No intention on buying the EV 718.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:37 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 198 Posts

I like your build! A couple comments:
  • Those Turbo wheels are much harder to clean than the stock wheels. While I like the styling - and I think they might be forged - they'll do nothing for resale
  • Buckets are a highly-personal choice. Many more people hate them than love them. In terms of resale value, these probably hurt more than help.
  • Rear wiper is also something that most people don't get, so also very little help here for resale.
All that said, you should order the car as YOU want it, not how the next owner might want it! No matter how you spec it, the dealer will use whatever decision you've made in the ordering process to justify a lower trade-in price anyway. "We just don't get many people who want a blue car with buckets" in your case. Or "People really want a color that's not so bland as silver and they really want that GTS Interior Package" in my case!
The following users liked this post:
authenticamd (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 08:53 AM
authenticamd
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. I agree, that the dealer will use whatever to justify a lower price. It's currently spec'd as how I would want it, and just wanted some opinions on "have you thought of this" or "you can get this aftermarket and it'll be better", as examples. At this point, I'm not worried about the resale aspect as it's likely I won't get the future (GT4RS/GT3) allocation I'm hoping for.

I was late to the game and the GT4 became end of production, otherwise that is what I should have gotten. Being that I can't build one and resale is high, I'm thinking GTS 4.0 is the next best thing. This is why I spec'd LWBS as it'll be "race car".

As for wheels, yes I've heard about how hard it is to clean them. However I have a good brush set and based on looking at the spacing between the wheel and the brake calipers, there is enough space to clean the caliper without moving the car a few inches to clean uncleaned sections.

The rear wiper.....now that I can agree that most people don't get. I think it does break the lines. However I'm a big dashcam guy and have all my cars setup with 2 channel dashcams. Thus the justification is that the wiper will keep the rear window clean. Yes if I was diligent and waxed / coated the rear screen, then this is moot.

Last edited by authenticamd; 03-25-2024 at 09:00 AM. Reason: clarification of allocation
The following users liked this post:
slilley (03-26-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 09:58 AM
mikedee
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

lwbs in a MT GTS 4.0 is perfection. Ask me how i know
The following 3 users liked this post by mikedee:
authenticamd (03-25-2024), MezgerFan (03-25-2024), triode (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 10:11 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

I would add CF door sills to match the interior CF bits.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:25 AM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd spec some sort of Multi Function steering wheel, on your build it looks like they come at no cost, and they are seriously handy. Keep your hand on the wheel while cranking up the sound on your Bose system.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:47 AM
authenticamd
Intermediate

Thanks for the suggestion @Dyim . I'll look into it!

Last edited by authenticamd; 03-25-2024 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:48 AM
authenticamd
Intermediate

@Amochosto So this is confusing. As part of the GTS Interior packaging, I do have the multifunction steering. However I also added the "GT Sport Steering Wheel in Leather" as well. Does that mean I get a multifunction steering wheel in leather?

Last edited by authenticamd; 03-25-2024 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:30 AM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by authenticamd
@Amochosto So this is confusing. As part of the GTS Interior packaging, I do have the multifunction steering. However I also added the "GT Sport Steering Wheel in Leather" as well. Does that mean I get a multifunction steering wheel in leather?
I stand corrected, looks like you have both "GT Sport Steering Wheel in Leather" and "Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel" ticked, so I guess you are getting the multifunction.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:48 AM
neteng101
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Get the stock wheels painted in satin platinum if you don't want to spend extra for the turbo wheels, easier to clean too - aftermarket wheels would be bad for resale, expect that to be money down the drain. Lose the rear wiper unless you're in an area where it rains a lot and you actually plan on driving in all weather conditions.

If you want to minimize cost/maximize resale, don't bother with small details painted headlight washers/emblems and CF door sills like someone suggested, the GTS interior is enough. Buckets are a personal choice that won't get you back full money on resale. Whatever you decide on, don't get the base interior with the rubber, it'll be harder for resale. If you want to spend a bit more on interior - leather wrapped steering column and sun visors in race-tex are better first choices than the CF door sills.

Last edited by neteng101; 03-25-2024 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:27 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,096 Likes on 596 Posts

I don't think it's a far fetch to try and use this as a stepping stone into a GT car. keep in mind however assuming that Porsche maintains the normal cycle for their GT cars, the GT4RS might only have 1-2 years left of production. I think your best bet would be a GT3. That being said i would actually ask your dealer what they would prefer. Because ordering a new GTS from them might not actually be enough to get a GT3 allocation, its possible they might prefer a trade in from a 991.2 GT3, or maybe by the time you are ready to buy they prefer a trade in from a 992.1. Either way if that is your end goal i'd look into what your dealership wants.

That being said i agree with a lot of what people are saying here. Build what you want, because if at the end of the day you are unable to secure any sort of allocation for a GT car, at least you have something that you can really enjoy in the GTS. These are great cars and share quite a bit with the GT4 and Spyder.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:35 PM
authenticamd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neteng101
Get the stock wheels painted in satin platinum if you don't want to spend extra for the turbo wheels, easier to clean too - aftermarket wheels would be bad for resale, expect that to be money down the drain. Lose the rear wiper unless you're in an area where it rains a lot and you actually plan on driving in all weather conditions.

If you want to minimize cost/maximize resale, don't bother with small details painted headlight washers/emblems and CF door sills like someone suggested, the GTS interior is enough. Buckets are a personal choice that won't get you back full money on resale. Whatever you decide on, don't get the base interior with the rubber, it'll be harder for resale. If you want to spend a bit more on interior - leather wrapped steering column and sun visors in race-tex are better first choices than the CF door sills.
Thanks for the feedback. I agree it's a fine balance for designing for resell as a stepping stone vs as a keeper. Good point about the wipers and driving in all conditions. I do not plan on driving it in all conditions like rain, so as you said it is probably not needed.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:40 PM
authenticamd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I don't think it's a far fetch to try and use this as a stepping stone into a GT car. keep in mind however assuming that Porsche maintains the normal cycle for their GT cars, the GT4RS might only have 1-2 years left of production. I think your best bet would be a GT3. That being said i would actually ask your dealer what they would prefer. Because ordering a new GTS from them might not actually be enough to get a GT3 allocation, its possible they might prefer a trade in from a 991.2 GT3, or maybe by the time you are ready to buy they prefer a trade in from a 992.1. Either way if that is your end goal i'd look into what your dealership wants.

That being said i agree with a lot of what people are saying here. Build what you want, because if at the end of the day you are unable to secure any sort of allocation for a GT car, at least you have something that you can really enjoy in the GTS. These are great cars and share quite a bit with the GT4 and Spyder.
Funny thing is that I would be OK with a 991.2 GT3 if they were reasonably priced. But at the new build price point, it would make sense to get the 992. I'd also prefer the GT3 because of the manual. But good point about asking the dealer about what they would prefer. I've pretty much spec'd as what I wanted it as, and am firm on the LWBS even if it's bad for resell.

Quick Reply: Final Check for GTS 4.0