Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder PCM Nav Map region

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 06:24 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts
Default 718 Spyder PCM Nav Map region

I was hoping someone can educate me on how the nav unit's mapping gets loaded. I have 2022 718 Spyder w/ Nav + Burmeister sound system (probably doesn't matter). I've always used the apple car play, and didn't mess around with the onboard nav too much until today. Map update option was available and I've downloaded. In the map / region select section, there is an option to 'add other countries'. When you click on this option, it takes you to a page with list of different countries & states (within United States), but it only allows you to select 2 of them. What is this for if you are in the USA? There are selections for FL (already set), then there are separate selectable regions such as (SC, NC, GA) and another selection for (MD, and other regions). Alaska also appears to be a separate selection, and so is California.

What is this for? Is the entire North American map not loaded on the HDD of the nav unit? Or is it that you need to select different regions based on where you are currently? Since I'm in FL, if I drive up to GA/SC area, do I need to manually select this when I cross the state lines? I remember seeing something like this on the old DVD based nav systems, but in the HDD based maps, I thought the maps would load from the HDD automatically based on your current GPS location...

I'd appreciate it if someone could school me on how the Nav unit actually works. I am just trying to make sure that I wouln't need to seperate download different states prior to driving there. Very odd..

Thanks!

Last edited by Fractal-Spyder; 03-26-2024 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:33 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 807 Posts

That has been my experience with my RS. I had 2 updates but it was state limited; FL and CA not an option on mine.

Guess its either $ or space saving (based on GPS) since they don't necessarily think people drive their car to every state.

Last edited by ExMB; 03-26-2024 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:55 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

That doesn't make any sense. I thought we were entitled to the entier N. American map. I guess everyone is using the carplay and don't know much about the subject...
Old 03-26-2024, 11:10 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 807 Posts

Well, whats amazing that you have a 22 and are still getting updates when they are only free for the first year AFAIK. Are you paying for them? If yes, then you have a right to b1tch.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:10 AM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Originally Posted by ExMB
Well, whats amazing that you have a 22 and are still getting updates when they are only free for the first year AFAIK. Are you paying for them? If yes, then you have a right to b1tch.
yeah i am paying for them. Went without it for a year, but just renewed few months back.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Hmmm...maybe check out the thread here on the OEM Navigation Retrofit: OEM Nav Retrofit

There's map updates there which are the 2024-2025 versions that load to the PCM, and they include all of the US (and likely North America but not sure). I don't know where those maps come from but when doing the retrofit route to program a PCM on a 718 that didn't come from the factory with Nav, it initially starts with the onboard maps from the factory which are country wide. Don't know why a paid map update would be less than all the US. And yeah the map updates from MIB fit on an SD card (they're roughly 15.13 gb). For what Porsche charges for map updates I would think they can afford 16 or 32 gb SD card.

My guess is the free map updates will work with a 718 that came with Nav which might have saved you some money, but again not an expert.

Last edited by Paul S.; 03-27-2024 at 05:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fractal-Spyder (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 08:22 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul S.
Hmmm...maybe check out the thread here on the OEM Navigation Retrofit: OEM Nav Retrofit

There's map updates there which are the 2024-2025 versions that load to the PCM, and they include all of the US (and likely North America but not sure). I don't know where those maps come from but when doing the retrofit route to program a PCM on a 718 that didn't come from the factory with Nav, it initially starts with the onboard maps from the factory which are country wide. Don't know why a paid map update would be less than all the US. And yeah the map updates from MIB fit on an SD card (they're roughly 15.13 gb). For what Porsche charges for map updates I would think they can afford 16 or 32 gb SD card.

My guess is the free map updates will work with a 718 that came with Nav which might have saved you some money, but again not an expert.
Thanks.

I find it crazy that even the dealer doesn't know how this is supposed to work. No one at the dealership knew what '+ other countries' meant, including 'states' that can be selected (which you can only choose 2).

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder PCM Nav Map region