Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Need advice on BGTS 4.0 build--freeze in 3 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 11:10 PM
dmia
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by STENTDR
Thank you for all the great advice on the build. Complicating things further I was just offered a good deal on a Carrera T allocation which is very tempting
I already spec’d a T and it’s arriving later this month. But now I’m leaning toward giving that up and looking for a CGTS instead.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:25 PM
Phillip Berk
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dmia
I already spec’d a T and it’s arriving later this month. But now I’m leaning toward giving that up and looking for a CGTS instead.
on the day I put in my order at the dealer, a 0 option T arrived and owner backed out. White over black with literally $0 in options, 126,xxx so base + delivery, it was in PDI still so I did not test drive but I figured it was not worth the extra money for a 0 option car, even with being offered at msrp. I considered it for a few moments since you know it was still a manual 911 but after test driving a gts 4.0 the other day I am so so pleased even with a short drive test drive.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:36 PM
STENTDR
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm actually surprised by how difficult a decision this had been between the 992 T and the BGTS 4.0 Both are awesome cars. I really thought I was set on the 718. My dad has a CGTS and it's an absolute blast. I think what I will miss out on getting the 992T instead of BGTS will be satisfied by my 997.1 C4S and 986 Boxster (NA, more raw connected feel, less tech) so ultimately I think I'm going for the 992 T. Seems like they will all compliment each other well. Also important that the boss prefers the 911 which she thinks is the more mature car. Now the question is whether or not to get rear axle steering. Otherwise going for a stripper build in ice grey metallic
Old 04-09-2024, 05:55 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm actually surprised by how difficult a decision this had been between the 992 T and the BGTS 4.0 Both are awesome cars. I really thought I was set on the 718. My dad has a CGTS and it's an absolute blast. I think what I will miss out on getting the 992T instead of BGTS will be satisfied by my 997.1 C4S and 986 Boxster (NA, more raw connected feel, less tech) so ultimately I think I'm going for the 992 T. Seems like they will all compliment each other well. Also important that the boss prefers the 911 which she thinks is the more mature car. Now the question is whether or not to get rear axle steering. Otherwise going for a stripper build in ice grey metallic
Try to drive a car with and without the rear axle steering. Some swear by it while others think it feels weird and unnatural. I only briefly experienced it on a 991.2 GT3, and it was a little bit weird.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:57 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 253 Posts

Good call especially if you already have an NA 911 and Boxster and your dad has a CGTS. The turbo six is a different experience altogether. Good luck picking the options on the T.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:46 PM
Phillip Berk
Instructor

I don't think there really is a wrong answer here, both are amazing cars, each with their own negatives and positives. but your S/O is def right, the 911 is a more mature car, also one of the positives if you care is the power, it is a much faster car, and with a few basic bolt ons like sport cats and a tune ( if you are into all that) you have a 500hp+ manual light weight 911 without a wing but sporty suspension ( ahem gt3 touring ahem) The stripper build idea is cool and prob makes the most sense financially as if you generally trade cars in, the difference between a high spec car and low spec do not equal out, you will always loose more with high options. On the counter tho, If I am spending 126k, I may as well spend 135 and get full leather, bose, and a few other nice touches. its when you go into the 150's on a T that it becomes a tough pill to swallow but as long as you can keep it sub 140 I think it is a good in between.
The following users liked this post:
slilley (04-10-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 08:40 PM
WGJP 993
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Phillip Berk
I don't think there really is a wrong answer here, both are amazing cars, each with their own negatives and positives. but your S/O is def right, the 911 is a more mature car, also one of the positives if you care is the power, it is a much faster car, and with a few basic bolt ons like sport cats and a tune ( if you are into all that) you have a 500hp+ manual light weight 911 without a wing but sporty suspension ( ahem gt3 touring ahem) The stripper build idea is cool and prob makes the most sense financially as if you generally trade cars in, the difference between a high spec car and low spec do not equal out, you will always loose more with high options. On the counter tho, If I am spending 126k, I may as well spend 135 and get full leather, bose, and a few other nice touches. its when you go into the 150's on a T that it becomes a tough pill to swallow but as long as you can keep it sub 140 I think it is a good in between.
Is the Carrera T really a much faster car? The specs wouldn't lead you to believe that, if these are correct:

2024 911 Carrera T
379 HP
331 Torque
3,254 lbs. curb weight
4.3 secs 0-60 MPH

2024 Boxster GTS 4.0
394 HP
309 TQ
3,156 lbs. curb weight
4.3 secs 0-60 MPH
Mike981S (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 08:48 PM
Tennyson
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Are you a urologist or a cardiologist? Just wondering.

T.

Last edited by Tennyson; 04-09-2024 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:52 PM
Phillip Berk
Instructor

Originally Posted by WGJP 993
Is the Carrera T really a much faster car? The specs wouldn't lead you to believe that, if these are correct:

2024 911 Carrera T
379 HP
331 Torque
3,254 lbs. curb weight
4.3 secs 0-60 MPH

2024 Boxster GTS 4.0
394 HP
309 TQ
3,156 lbs. curb weight
4.3 secs 0-60 MPH
on paper it would not seem to be the case, but in real life the tq and shove of the turbo motor, especially down low are a night and day difference. On paper my supra which has 382 hp and weights 3350+ lbs should be slower than the GTS, but in reality is a much much faster car.
TheBucketOfTruth (04-09-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 01:06 PM
STENTDR
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, cardiologist.

Whether the 992 T or 718 GTS 4.0 is faster really doesn't make that much of difference for me. Everything is fast nowadays for the most part. What sets these cars apart is the unique feel and engagement that each provides. I had G80 M3 which has plenty of power but really didn't have any soul. Got the 986 Boxster while I had the M3 and whenever I got back in the M3 I felt let down even though it was plenty fast. Sold the M3 and got the 997.1 C4S which is probably the best car I've ever owned.
Tennyson (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 01:16 PM
MOGI
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, cardiologist.

Whether the 992 T or 718 GTS 4.0 is faster really doesn't make that much of difference for me. Everything is fast nowadays for the most part. What sets these cars apart is the unique feel and engagement that each provides. I had G80 M3 which has plenty of power but really didn't have any soul. Got the 986 Boxster while I had the M3 and whenever I got back in the M3 I felt let down even though it was plenty fast. Sold the M3 and got the 997.1 C4S which is probably the best car I've ever owned.
hey doc, my guess would’ve also included IR, lol

In reference to your earlier post - I recently got back from the Porsche driving school experience at Birmingham, where I got to drive both the 4.0 GTS and the 992 GTS. Both feel amazing! Can’t go wrong choosing either. The Cayman 4.0 feels more raw and mechanical than the 992 (also significantly louder in the cabin at WOT due to mid engine placement). If you’re going to get a 992, I would 100% spec the RAS. The RAS on the track made the 911 handle like a Mid engine cayman. I don’t particularly enjoy the understeer in a traditional 911 (which is why I got a GT4), but RAS transforms how good the initial turn in is - you can ask SO much from it no matter how sloppy you enter into the corner and it’ll still somehow place the car where it should be.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:57 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,097 Likes on 597 Posts

on paper it would not seem to be the case, but in real life the tq and shove of the turbo motor, especially down low are a night and day difference. On paper my supra which has 382 hp and weights 3350+ lbs should be slower than the GTS, but in reality is a much much faster car.
Thats surprising as Throttle House did a drag race between the Cayman GTS and the new G87 M2 and the GTS beat the M2. That being said the M2 is also 3800 lbs and had a much harder time putting the power down vs the Porsche. The Supra ive always felt could put the power down way better than any of the M cars ive owned and is only about 200 lbs heavier than the GTS vs the 600 lbs delta in the M2.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:21 AM
dmia
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

on the day I put in my order at the dealer, a 0 option T arrived and owner backed out. White over black with literally $0 in options, 126,xxx so base + delivery, it was in PDI still so I did not test drive but I figured it was not worth the extra money for a 0 option car, even with being offered at msrp. I considered it for a few moments since you know it was still a manual 911 but after test driving a gts 4.0 the other day I am so so pleased even with a short drive test drive.
Last weekend I rented a base 992 and took it to the canyon. Unbelievable car wow! I love the turbo engine, power delivery was super smooth and no lag whatsoever. I used to owned a 991.1 S and I definitely prefer the power delivery of the 992 better. Instant power everywhere.

This weekend I’m renting the BGTS 4.0 and will take it to the canyons again. I’ll let you know how it drives on Sunday.

The following 2 users liked this post by dmia:
Phillip Berk (04-13-2024), slilley (04-11-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 09:43 PM
Phillip Berk
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmia
Last weekend I rented a base 992 and took it to the canyon. Unbelievable car wow! I love the turbo engine, power delivery was super smooth and no lag whatsoever. I used to owned a 991.1 S and I definitely prefer the power delivery of the 992 better. Instant power everywhere.

This weekend I’m renting the BGTS 4.0 and will take it to the canyons again. I’ll let you know how it drives on Sunday.
Excited to hear your feedback, Even a base 992 has got to the point that it is an amazing car that is fast, looks good, sounds good ( even with the quiet exhausts the interior sound still seems to be pretty good even stock) and handles well enough to impress most people on a canyon road. Let us know how it goes!

Quick Reply: Need advice on BGTS 4.0 build--freeze in 3 weeks