Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Need advice on BGTS 4.0 build--freeze in 3 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 12:50 PM
STENTDR
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need advice on BGTS 4.0 build--freeze in 3 weeks

Hi everyone! First time post here despite being a longtime lurker. After calling all dealerships within 100 miles multiple times over many months I finally got an allocation for a Boxster GTS 4.0. Freeze is April 28th with delivery July 31st (all just moved up by 3 weeks randomly). I had initially wanted the Cayman but when this allocation popped up I went for it deciding that I'd be happy with the drop top! This will be the first car that I am purchasing as my own spec. The BGTS 4.0 will share duties with my 997.1 as both a daily and canyon carver in the Southern California area. I was between shark blue and aventurine green but after seeing both in person I'm set on the SB. The aventurine is a gorgeous color I just wish it had more green in it than grey and there's a lot of grey around lately. I've got 2 main builds with the major differences listed below but also go back and forth on some other details. Not interested in GTS package as I'm not a fan of carbon fiber. Also don't need the better stereos or 18 ways. Prefer the 2 way couches over buckets as well. Pics of similar spec options are also always appreciated and helpful! Thanks!!

PR9WDGX5
Aurum wheels
Black calipers
Brushed aluminum interior trim
White dials

PRUKKEV9
Black wheels
Red calipers which I think look good behind black rims, save $900
Shark blue trim
No need for white dials with the SB trim, save another $1K

Other things I debate are:
1. PDLS--better than the base lights? Why does this mean you get those nipples?
2. Black/chalk interior. Looks better than on configurator but I feel like you also lose some of the "mean" look and the keeping clean issue?
3. Ditch the multifunction steering wheel since it has a cleaner look?
4. Is the leather wrapped steering wheel really that big of an improvement?

The following 2 users liked this post by STENTDR:
Larson E. Rapp (04-06-2024), ScottRich (04-06-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 02:12 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,096 Likes on 596 Posts

Congrats on the allocation! Very similar situation to me. I was also looking for a Cayman but then took an available Boxster GTS allocation. I myself specced Aventurine green.

As far as your build goes i personally think Aurum on SB is really nice and pops really well. I also really like the interior trim painted in the exterior color. I had that on my GT4 and have specced it on my Boxster. it just really makes sitting in your car an event every single time. Some people think its too much but personally i think its one of those options that really make you love your car whenever you sit inside of it.

As far as headlights go, i had the base lights on the GT4 and while they were adequate, i wish i went with the PDLS. For the Boxster i went with the PDLS lights.

Like you i also went with the 2-ways but i stuck with the Alcantara interior. I personally like the feel of Alcantara on the steering wheel over leather, i find it to be much more comfortable as well as easier to maintain my grip on it. I went with the multifunction steering wheel as this car will be my daily and so having those controls at my thumbs is just a nice convenience.

Overall i think you cant go wrong either build, but my main recommendation would be to combine the exterior choices of the first build with the interior choices of the second build.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:34 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Get what you want--not sure I'd pay for white dials which I've had in some of my Porsches. Both my 2006 997 PCA Club Coupe and my 22 BGTS have black dials--black's more classic Porsche look. The gold wheels would be a hard pass for me. I always seem to be saying this but consider adding sill guards if you will have ladies in high heels riding shotgun (or driving the car).

To me the aluminum trim looks nicer--too much blue for my taste on the other. Also I find it odd that folks pay for gloss black calipers. You know because you own a 997. Black was/is the caliper color for the base cars. S cars get red calipers, PCCB yellow and now folks are spec'ing 718 GTS cars with gloss black calipers. Mine was a CPO car and has the black calipers (which look good I guess) but I personally wouldn't have paid extra to have. I'd rather have the red calipers, but again you do you.

And this I will go to my grave over this one--no way should a $100K + car not have power seats. Porsche may be the only mfg with the stones to not have power seats standard on anything other than a dedicated track car like the GT3, GT4 RS, Spyder or the T models. My Club Coupe standard equipment was two way sport seats and I paid for the option to have the adaptive sport seats so they're powered. I have the 14 way in my BGTS--I might have opted for the 18 way had I ordered the car, but the 14 way is good too. One thing I really like is I park my BGTS on my 4 post car lift, and the power seats allow me to raise the seat all the way up to make it easier to point the car on the center of the ramps. That's a pain in the butt to do on manual seats. I also like the memory seats as I have them set to be all the way back when you open the door. That's handy when someone else (like someone at the dealer when in for service) parks the car. But again, your money.

Also, I think the leather steering wheel is best--I would worry about the Race-Tex (aka alcantera) showing wear, being more difficult to keep clean. I passed on one preowned BGTS because it had the standard Race-Tex everywhere.

Last edited by Paul S.; 04-05-2024 at 02:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (04-06-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 04:20 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 220 Posts

FWIW...Skip the Aurum wheels. It's an overdone trend that isn't going to look great in the longer run. I dumped all the Neodyme Trim and Wheels on my Boxster 25 Years and the car looks 1,000x better for it. I have Aluminum Trim (part of B25 Pkg), and it is nothing mind-blowing, but certainly more elegant than SB painted plastic trim. Exterior painted trim is kind of like something you'd find in an inexpensive Japanese car. You may not like Carbon Fiber, but it is actually the richest looking option. Really elevates the interior like on higher-end Sports cars.

PDLS is definitely better than base headlights and the headlight washer nozzles can be customized in other colors including gloss black, exterior color, or even chrome. I always shake my head when I see Spyders where the person went with base headlights to save a few bucks. They look pretty cheap, tbh. Leather Wrapped Multifunction Steering Wheel is worth it to be able to easily scroll through the Multi-Function display and Leather is also much more practical than Race-tex cloth which gets grimey and is much harder to clean. I coincidentally just cleaned the leather and alcantara steering wheel on my Alfa yesterday and leather part was much better to deal with. I have White Dials and they are are nice, but not necessary, especially on Shark Blue car, unless you go with Chalk or GT Silver stitching. If you are going to do without something to save a few bucks, you won't miss not having white dials. Red calipers are awesome, just not on a Shark Blue car. Black calipers look better on SB, expecially if you go with Black Wheels. Red look great on White, Silver, Gray, Red painted cars. Black used to be standard on most cars and red was unique, but so many lesser cars come with red calipers that they aren’t very special now. Options and color combos are obviously very personal things, but some options can just clash when put together.

Chalk leather is really sharp looking when new, but impractical. Have had a similar color many times. It starts to look grungy and yellowish over time despite how careful you are with it, and of course there is always the dreaded denim jean transfer issue.

If you are really set on Shark Blue, maybe consider springing for the Black Full Leather interior with extended blue deviated stitching. Once you see good deviated stitching, it's kind of hard to accept all black (leather/stitching) ever again. With the Boxster nearing the end of the road, I think you will really regret not totally tricking out your car with the nicest options just to hit a self-imposed budget. Obviously, one can get a bit too carried away given Porsche’s Steakhouse Option Menu, but you can certainly make your car special with a little extra thought without breaking the bank. Good luck!

Last edited by mc3456; 04-07-2024 at 09:43 PM.
Larson E. Rapp (04-06-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 04:25 PM
WGJP 993
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
Get what you want--not sure I'd pay for white dials which I've had in some of my Porsches. Both my 2006 997 PCA Club Coupe and my 22 BGTS have black dials--black's more classic Porsche look. The gold wheels would be a hard pass for me. I always seem to be saying this but consider adding sill guards if you will have ladies in high heels riding shotgun (or driving the car)..
Are you referring to the door sill guards in stainless steel, or the inner door sill guards in leather?

Are the standard door sill guards in plastic on the GTS (vs. stainless steel)?
The stock door sills on my 981S seem to get easily marked, but I can't decide if stainless would really be any better than plastic.

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-05-2024, 04:46 PM
gumby5
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend the PDLS. My 14 BS did not have it and I missed it since I have a Volvo C30 R-design coupe with headlight movement (I don't remember the Volvo name for it) and really noticed the difference. I got a B25 last year and it has PDLS so I'm a happy camper. lol. Simple thing but something you can't change easily (I think). Wheels, tires, etc can be changed relatively easily so you can always change to another look later.

The B25 Aurum wheels are nice to look at (obviously a personal choice) but a pain to keep clean. I would rather have the platinum painted wheels from my 14 BS. Love the B25 over the 14 BS. It's got all the features I wanted but couldn't find at the dealer back in late 2014.

Best wishes. I'm sure you will enjoy the car.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:13 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 249 Posts

• Yes to PDLS.
  • Chalk interior is nice. I had it in my 911 and I didn't encounter any staining but then I don't wear jeans. If all black leather, deviated stitching in blue will look really nice. If you did that, I would recommend steering column casing in leather with deviated stitching to match.
  • Painted interior in blue looks cheap to me. Just my opinion. Brushed aluminium looks way better.
  • I have white-faced gauges in my 25 (bought it used). I don't like them. You can see all the unlit warning signs and it looks very busy and distracting to me.
  • Leather-wrapped, multifunction steering wheel is nice. I like mine.
  • Aurum wheels are not my thing nor for that matter black wheels.
  • Yes to black calipers. I have them and they look nice especially if you pick the aurum wheels. Red calipers will clash with shark blue exterior IMO.
Congratulations and good luck with your decisions.
Edit: Chalk looks washed out on the configurator. It is nice with a light grey tint. This is my previous 911.

Last edited by AnandN; 04-05-2024 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:31 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

I only skimmed this but when I was building a Shark Blue GT4 the look I went with was silver wheels with black brake calipers (or yellow ones for PCCB but irrelevant here). I don't really love bright red brakes with the blue exterior. And black wheels with black brakes might be too much. So yeah if it were me I'd be doing silver wheels and black brakes. And no body color interior. They just don't look very good on the 718. It's nice on a 987 Spyder or Cayman R where it's a subtle line, but in the 718 it looks goofy looping around the headlight switch and encircing the entire center console. I'd say go with the dark matte brushed aluminum look stuff, or the bright one if you're doing silver wheels? Oh and yes PDLS is a must have.
Old 04-06-2024, 03:05 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 283 Posts

My opinion only in no particular order, but based on ordering three 718’s:
PDLS+
Brushed black aluminum interior trim
Black brake calipers
Chalk leather interior
Chalk deviated stitching
Leather casing for steering column w/ deviated stitching
Fire extinguisher
Roll hoops in exterior color
Clear taillights
Silver wheels
Heated and Cooled Seats
18 way seats
Stainless illuminated door sills
Shark Blue seat belts
Heated multi-function sport steering wheel in RaceTex
Cigarette lighter center console
Passenger cargo net
Premium package
Bose sound

Best of luck with your new order, you are going to love this car!

Last edited by OldJedi; 04-06-2024 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 03:54 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WGJP 993
Are you referring to the door sill guards in stainless steel, or the inner door sill guards in leather?

Are the standard door sill guards in plastic on the GTS (vs. stainless steel)?
The stock door sills on my 981S seem to get easily marked, but I can't decide if stainless would really be any better than plastic.

Thanks for your input.
I wasn't aware that there were any door sill guards standard on the GTS (doesn't show under the standard equipment for my 2022 BGTS)--there are options for stainless steel or carbon fiber door sill guards both of which are illuminated. The stainless ones I have are illuminated yes and are plastic with stainless steel inserts as you can see in the configurator pictures.

Last edited by Paul S.; 04-06-2024 at 03:56 PM.
WGJP 993 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 04:52 PM
STENTDR
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for all the great advice on the build. Complicating things further I was just offered a good deal on a Carrera T allocation which is very tempting
Old 04-06-2024, 06:12 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 185 Posts

Stick with the BGTS.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:14 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 283 Posts

^^^^. I agree….. the Boxster GTS would be the best between the two cars.
mc3456 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by STENTDR
Thank you for all the great advice on the build. Complicating things further I was just offered a good deal on a Carrera T allocation which is very tempting
Wow! Good problem to have. Carrera T is my favorite 911 in the 992 lineup. Good luck with your decision. If convertible, definitely the BGTS. If I had to choose between a CGTS and a T, I would pick the 911. I wish I had the time and inclination to own and drive two sports cars.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:53 PM
MOGI
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I would keep the spec with the shark blue and aurum wheels. In real life, the aurum wheels do a lot in terms of making your car stand out (ask me how I know).

I would option the car with PDLS, ditch the white dials (not very good for contrast) particularly for a manual car where you’ll want to look at the tach, and get the leather wrapped steering wheel (so much easier to take care of than the Race-Tex and still plenty grippy) - I have Race Tex in my car and wish I didn’t. Otherwise, the spec looks good!

Quick Reply: Need advice on BGTS 4.0 build--freeze in 3 weeks