Sponsored by:

Chevron PRO-GARDŽ Fuel Injector Cleaner With TECHRON

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:50 PM
agreenway
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevron PRO-GARDŽ Fuel Injector Cleaner With TECHRON

Is anyone out there using this? Have 20,000 miles on my car.

I hear mixed things from the dealers.
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2010, 12:21 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Why? I fill with top tier gas with appropriate additives - Chevron (with Techron), Union76, Shell. I see no need for additional products.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:34 AM
beentherebaby
Racer

Techron is approved by a number of Euro car makers including VW/Audi/BMW and perhaps even Porsche? Some of them just repackage Techron which is included in Chevron gas. Techron is also sold to other oil companies.

A bottle once every 20,000 miles is fine. It won't hurt anything and if there is some carbon build-up it may reduce it. Those who use Techron, Seafoam, etc. every month may be doing more damage than good to their engine - unless they drive 20-30K per month of course.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:45 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

I used it on a Saab I owned to eliminate spark knock-it worked wonders in that car. I have not used it on the Porsche as it doesn't seem to exhibit any symptoms which would drive me to use it. I do use only top tier gas from Shell for every fill up of the gas tank to insure I never get to the point of needing any additive.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not use it? It's cheap enough and proven to work.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 AM
sizquik
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What gas do you normally use? I don't think it could hurt.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 80 Posts

FWIW, my Benz dealer puts a bottle in every 20K miles or so as part of their service schedule.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

If you use a Top Tier fuel like Chevron, Shell, Sunoco, Mobil ect there is absolutly ZERO need to use fuel additives. There is already enough detergent in Top Tier fules plus E10 fuel will help keep everything clean of gunk.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Techron is great for cleaning your dirty bits.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:50 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1st this is not their flagship product. TECHRON CONCENTRATE PLUS is theyone. The pro guard has less of Techron in it. However use it a max of 2x for every oil change.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

If you are going to use it, make sure you perform an oil service shortly thereafter. All cleaners have a tendency to make their way into the oil and subsequently reduce the oil's ability to protect the engine.

I used a bottle in my track car on the drive to a DE. Ran the car hard and changed the oil at the end of the weekend. When I received the oil analysis report, it was the worst one the car had ever yielded. It was bad bad.

From that point forward, I run a bottle through a tank of gas and follow up with an oil service. No bad reports since.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:55 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've posted this before but here we go again: Several years ago I called Techron and the tech advisor I spoke to told me to change the oil after running this additive through the car. I asked this question of him because that was the statement made in Excellence regarding this product. I am only reporting what I was told. This is how it went: "Should I change the oil in my Porsche after using Techron?" "Yes" I decided not to use it. Just be aware there is an issue here.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:09 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifton
If you are going to use it, make sure you perform an oil service shortly thereafter. All cleaners have a tendency to make their way into the oil and subsequently reduce the oil's ability to protect the engine.

I used a bottle in my track car on the drive to a DE. Ran the car hard and changed the oil at the end of the weekend. When I received the oil analysis report, it was the worst one the car had ever yielded. It was bad bad.

From that point forward, I run a bottle through a tank of gas and follow up with an oil service. No bad reports since.
I see your post now Clifton. It seems to me that the engine will run for a period of time on the contaminated oil before you change it. It may be an extremely short period of time but it is there nevertheless. You have to run a tankful through the engine for it to work so you have a minimum of say 250 miles from start to finish. My concern is that you may be treating a non problem with a cure that is unhealthy. I pass.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sizquik
What gas do you normally use? I don't think it could hurt.
I'm guessing your 2006 Arctic Silver Carrera has 18 inch and not 18 foot Carrera 5-spoke wheels.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
I see your post now Clifton. It seems to me that the engine will run for a period of time on the contaminated oil before you change it. It may be an extremely short period of time but it is there nevertheless. You have to run a tankful through the engine for it to work so you have a minimum of say 250 miles from start to finish. My concern is that you may be treating a non problem with a cure that is unhealthy. I pass.
I think your concern is a valid one. In my case, I have a number of oil analysis reports with and without the use of fuel system cleaners (I like RedLine). From what I've gathered, as long as I change the oil after a tank+ with cleaner in it, there is no discernible difference in engine wear according to the reports.

If you think about it, the cleaner does not contaminate the oil all at once. What seems logical is that it would slowly work its way into the oil, much like how fuel normally contaminates oil in stop-n-go driving and car idling.

My personal preference is to use system cleaners on road trips. My perception is that the car is not under as much load, nor will the cleaner have time to pool or separate from the gas. After I finish off the "cleaner" tank, I like to put another half a tank on the engine, to diminish any lingering detergents. I then change the oil. Works for me, but that is just my experience.

Quick Reply: Chevron PRO-GARDŽ Fuel Injector Cleaner With TECHRON