Notices

DIY - Digital Clock Replacement Porsche 944

Old 11-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Izzy Does It
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY - Digital Clock Replacement Porsche 944

I decided to spend my Thanksgiving tinkering on the 944S2. Specifically, the digital clock needed replacing. That said, if you need to replace the temperature control unit (TCU), cigarette lighter, or light bulbs for any of the aforementioned the same procedure applies.

The following tools will facilitate the digital clock install: assorted plastic panel removal tools, long nose pliers, long flat-head screw driver, small flat-head screw driver, Phillips-head stubby screw driver, and a very small (000 x 1) Phillips-head screw driver.

First, remove the two (2) round control ***** and two (2) oval shaped slider ***** to the TCU. For the round ***** I used my plastic interior panel removal tool. I would not recommend using a screwdriver because it may damage the ***** or TCU panel cover - plastic on plastic is a safer approach. That said, use exteme care when removng the fan control **** and the temperature control (TC) **** from their respective stems - the retention tabs are fragile. (One of the tabs from my fan control **** was broken (PO) - more on that fix on another DIY). I removed the slider ***** with a smooth, even and consistent pull, gripping each end of the slider with my thumb and index finger.

I then removed the TCU panel/cover by placing an interior panel tool on the outside edge of the passenger-side of the panel and gently pring outward. Once the the TCU cover/panel is removed the four (4) Phillips-head screws, that hold the TCU in place, will be exposed. Remove these four (4) screws. I then used an interior panel tool to gently dislodge the TCU from the dash. The clear plastic TCU face plate is fragile, so work slowly and gently. (My face plate was cracked all through, due to excessive torque on a screw located on the lower driver-side (PO). I will replace it.) The TCU is connected to three (3) plugs. I used a long thin screwdriver to gently pry the connectors away from the TCU. Again, work slowly and don't rush. The TCU will now come completely out.

Next, open the passenger-side dooor and locate the triangle shaped side trim panel. Remove the single Phillips-head screw using a stubbby Phillips-head screwdriver. After the screw is removed, gently push the panel forward (toward the front of the car) to disengage the tabs, then up and out to remove the panel completely. Once the triangular panel is removed, three (3) Phillips heads screws will be exposed. Remove the bottom-most screw.

After doing so, turn your attention to the digital clock panel cover. You will notice a small vertical rectangular trim cover next to the passenger-side vent control. There is a small slot located on the bottom of the small vertical rectangular trim cover. Remove this panel by inserting the tip of a small flat-head screwdriver in the slot and gently twisting/prying up and out- it takes minimal effort. Once the small panel is removed two (2) Phillips-head screwsw ill be exposed - remove them.

Next, remove the teperature sensor intake (TSI) cover (it is round and slotted). In order to do so, insert the jaw of needle-nose pliers into the outermost slots, gently exert outward pressure on the handles of the pliers (I know that it's counter-intuitve but don't clamp down as if attempting to grip something), then turn the cover one-quarter (1/4) turn or 90 degrees counter-clockwise. The cover should then pull directly out (note orientation of the rubber tubing to the TSI). Now remove the single Phillips-head screwdriver located behind the round TSI cover.

Remove the cigaretter lighter. Next remove the clock cover panel. I used my index finger to gently pull on the driver-side of the panel while I ran an interior panel tool along the length of the panel to free it up. Again, the trick is to move slowly and deliberately. Once the panel is dislodged, remove the connector plugs to the cigarette lighter, clock and emergency 4-way hazard switch - I did so using my hands (note orientation of the cigarette lighter light bulb). Finally, I used a 000 X 1 Phillips-head screwdriver to remove the two (2) small screws that attach the clock to the panel.

Installation is the reverse. A couple of things are noteworthy. Ensure that the rubber tubing to the TSI is connected when you replace the clock panel - I used a thing screwdriver as a guide. Also, insert the cigarette bulb back into the rubber housing at the cigarette plug connector. Happy Thanksgiving!
Attached Images                
Old 11-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Izzy Does It
Instructor

Default More Photos

More install photos.
Attached Images                
Old 11-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Izzy Does It
Instructor

Default Final Photos.

Final DIY Photos.
Attached Images        
Old 12-27-2011, 10:36 AM
JoaoPintoReis
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello!
is it possible to arranje the digital clock?
mine has the glass broken!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - Digital Clock Replacement Porsche 944