Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2nd gear detent (Gbox)..... pictorial DIY.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 2nd gear detent (Gbox)..... pictorial DIY.

This is a DIY for the 2nd gear detent made by gbox... I followed their instructions here: http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html

This DIY took me 1:15 min... can prob do it in 45min now that I know. There is a lot of feeling rather than seeing with this mod....as space is extremely limited. If you are clumsy or if you will be on your back..... forget it. Unless you are one of those young ones.... then go for it.

Kicking out wifey's car, she was not happy.... the wife not the car.

See my finger? thats were the detent cover is.... right next to it is the cover bolt you have to remove first.

OK.... first thing, we need some space. Take off the last tunnel cover.

You need a 8mm for the cover bolt with a flex extension since you will be going at it at an angle. Go in from this side to get to the bolt.... this is not that bad.

Here is the bolt.... damn, thats a long bolt.

Next is the detent cover.... get an allen socket (13mm) and knock out the allen part with a punch and hammer. You need a short allen and a ratchet (the one that youve never used)

Put the allen on the detent cover and slip the ratchet on the allen..... I used a cheater bar to break the cover free.

detent cover off

Use the allen and a magnet to fish out the detent spring like this.

Again use the allen and magnet to fish out the detent..... tada!

Here's the OEM (left) and Gbox.... when you slip the detent back in the tranny, the wheel pin must be 90deg from the tranny side (or facing the side of the car). You can wiggle the shifter a bit and it will move the detent.... this is in its normal position.

Reverse the procedure.... button everything up. Put a blue loctite on the cover for a little seal.

Clean up and grab a beer.

Next Mod..... reverse light switch on the tranny. My light does not work.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks for the pictorial. I thought this was primarily and issue for the turbos. Were you having problems?

You'll actually enjoy replacing the reverse switch. It's literally the easiest thing I've ever repaired on any car.

-Shawn
Old 02-01-2011, 05:06 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Thanks for the pictorial. I thought this was primarily and issue for the turbos. Were you having problems?

You'll actually enjoy replacing the reverse switch. It's literally the easiest thing I've ever repaired on any car.

-Shawn
Ive experienced a 2nd gear pop out in the cold a couple of times intermitently, it wasnt bad at all.... this is more preventative before it turns into a problem... The pop out is not that common... more so in the turbo, but it does happen in the carreras'.

Been wanting to change that switch forever.... now that it is exposed, its a good time to knock it out.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice job. Those are some tight working quarters. I was just reading about the 'back up light' DIY on Renntech. Mine doesn't work either.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the write up!! The OEM detent looks identical to the new one. Also, did you feel any difference in shifting?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by r1de23
Thanks for the write up!! The OEM detent looks identical to the new one. Also, did you feel any difference in shifting?
dude... its like a ice skating rink out there. Gonna wait till this thaws out, Im not expecting anything different in shifting though.... just no more pop out.

There is a tiny difference between the two.... thats why these are supposed to work, the OEM tolerance are to tight.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Awesome, I can't wait until it gets warm out to upgrade mine.

Trending Topics

Old 05-23-2011, 08:05 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tariq911
1- the cat at low RPM is so slow and heavy, maybe i am not usedto porsche but i have a frind expert with porsche he gave it a try and he told me this is not a porsche. the only error code from the engine is (cam shaft).
2- suddenly i started to face problems with the gear, on both tip and auto when i give a gas fro 1st to 2nd the gear pops, its like a gap in shfting ans the psm starts flashing. its very clear in the 1st to 2nd gear, but i think the problem is in all shifts.
1. Any cam shaft related DTCs are usually serious and should be addressed. Perhaps worn pads or variocam actuator mechanism. Or worse. If you can get the DTCs from the car you can get more exact diagnosis.

2. IIRC the detent is for G96 manuals only, not A96 tips. You should check your trans fluid level. It is possible there is some mechanical problem or perhaps the torque converter is worn.

Best thing to do would be to create a new post (or two), one for your trans issue and a second for the trouble codes your car is throwing related to the cams.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the write-up my wife's 996 also suffers from the occasional 2nd gear pop-up so I'm getting to do the same thing on her car. This will help!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:22 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Out of curiosity, has anybody measured the factory shifter detent vs. the replacement? I'm curious how close they are...
Old 05-24-2011, 02:28 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmet
Out of curiosity, has anybody measured the factory shifter detent vs. the replacement? I'm curious how close they are...
I replaced mine with Ferd's help about a month ago. The difference is very minimal. An extra 1/32 of an inch maybe at most. The challenge in my install was tranny fluid created a vacuum when trying to pull the detent out. Ferdinand worked on it for over one hour just trying to remove the stock part.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:46 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

1/32nds of an inch in which measurement/is the replacement narrower or shorter?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:57 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

1/32nds of an inch in which measurement/is the replacement narrower or shorter?
It's the inside hole gap taller IIRC. I used to feel a big click shifting into second gear when the tranny box is cold and my shifts were more deliberate holding the shifter into second longer. Now the click is not as noticeable and slots into second easier. I do have a b&m short shift which makes the action harder than stock.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Inside hole is taller? I appreciate the feedback, but not sure I'm following you?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 PM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks much for the info. I replaced my reverse light switch, now need to do this next. I have the 2nd gear pop put only when the car is cold, but would rather take care of it now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd gear detent (Gbox)..... pictorial DIY.