Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So fast you would think it was last years V8! (The 2011 True Hollywood Story)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:40 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation So fast you would think it was last years V8! (The 2011 True Hollywood Story)

i know first and foremost this is a Cayenne Subsection.. so everyone reading either has a cayenne or wants a cayenne.... hopefully after reading it will have the people on the fence jumping off and those not even near the fence wanting to jump over as well!.

Having driven all three variants of the previous model Cayenne (technically 4 but i never drove the TurboS) i was somewhat reluctant about buying a V6 (previous V6's were slow IMO)

Sold my Carrera, had $64k in sales tax credit to play with since i had the dealer broker the sale.. so i went shopping... drove everything with 4 wheels and some without... Liked the 2010 Cayenne but had a bad experience with a dealer (Suncoast Porsche and Herb Schimkus making promises he couldn't keep (he's now at my local dealer!)) went over to check out panamera's and so forth and saw the 2011 Cayenne.. liked it, went home and read up.. went back to my fav sales guy (Mike O'Donnell) and went for a test drive... everything felt great, i took a mental note of the options and went home to build.. drove it again, drove it at other dealer twice (V8 and V6 at each dealer) never got on the truck, both felt the same in Florida traffic so i went ahead and ordered a V6 barebones from the dealer who helped me broker sale of Carrera.. $52,170 sticker after $975 delivery fee.. ($49,472 OTD (including TTT)... all around great savings $6,849.90 savings total)

Option 4X4 became standard and MSRP went to $53,170 including Delivery but i was locked in and felt even better... Car came in and despite the hectic nature of my delivery (Timing wheels to be done at powdercoat and other wheels to be mounted/balanced/TPMS'd) the car was nice, 1900 miles in 4 days and i really didn't even get to feel the truck out.. too much on my plate and not enough time to think.

A week has passed and my schedule is clear, finally went out today and had a passenger and empty road ahead and went for it... i will say that in sport mode i am more than surprised at the get up and GO of the V6 cayenne.. the power plant feels GREAT up until about 80mph and then you start to run out of power... i feel the multitude of gears comes into help you because regardless of your speed you always feel like your in the proper gear with the "Sport Mode" activated.... Engine Feel's Great... makes me just yearn for more! (cant even imagine v8/turbo in sport mode!)

I live in a loft downtown at the intersection of 4/5 major highways... so curvy on and off ramps are usually my description of fun in the Exige... i take them like i feel a truck should and their is nothing but great feedback coming my way and that feedback is telling me i'm going TOO slow... i take the route again at a higher rate of speed and the truck just feels AMAZING... never have i ever had 4600lbs feel so nimble underneath me.. no understeer, maybe slight oversteer at times.. but its strong and planted to the ground! accelerating out of the corner feels great as well, the car holds the gears longer and quickly jumps out of the corner without any squirm... everything feels GREAT.

FFW to tonight, i'm running late to eat and the restaurant closes in 10 minutes.. i click google on my phone and type it in and click send.. without even me thinking the ringing is thru the speakers bluetooth and i get someone and make my order without even taking my mind off the road... coming down off ramps and going up on ramps.. i get there before a flash of an eye and the whole time i am amazed at what this truck with a measly 300HP can do!.. it feels like an animal beneath your feet... NOTHING like the previous v6 variant of the Cayenne!.

despite some hiccups along the way (iPod!) and misc things others and myself misinterpreted... i would say overall i am VERY happy with my choice of vehicle for the time being, i honestly probably have THE CHEAPEST 2011 Cayenne ordered to date (i like simplicity) and despite it being 15-20k less than others on the road it feels amazing and I dont feel like I am missing one thing!.... I still get the amazing Handling that Porsche has built into the vehicle, I get the 400lb weightloss that they have built in (overall my car is very light because of the lack of heavy options like air suspension/panoramic roof/larger wheels/larger Seats) I have all the perks the 2011 brought and at a very affordable price point..

that being said, the Cayenne is amazing, but unfortunately no car is a true keeper for me (even my exige one day will find a new home)... yes i will have the car for longer than i waited for it to arrive after ordering but i am more than ever excited now for the 2012 Carrera and what they bring to the table.. hopefully using the Jenny Craig Weight Loss program from the Cayenne on it!.. and then I am even more hopeful for a 2014 or so 2 door Panamera Variant (928 bastard stepchild)... which i feel would be the PERFECT compliment to a sports car owner. (have your fun light/nimble sports car but also have a spacious roomy touring car for leisurely drives!... think CL Mercedes without the arrogant driver and sales man)

All in all the 2011 Cayenne is a complete WIN to me... if the Cayenne line was priced 20k more (like the Panamera Lineup) i honestly STILL would have bought it: A, over the Panamera and B: over other comparable vehicles on the market... The Truck is a GEM to the Porsche lineup and truly can proudly wear the Porsche crest as is romps around town putting all the other luxury SUV's to shame!

-Riley

(will update with some great pics hopefully tomorrow when i can go downtown without the HELL of weekday traffic)

Last edited by rijowysock; 03-26-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

this is the best writeup on a Cayenne V6, thanks.

at this price point, I don't understand why people are still buying SUV from Mercedes or BMW.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:00 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
this is the best writeup on a Cayenne V6, thanks.

at this price point, I don't understand why people are still buying SUV from Mercedes or BMW.
or land rover!... the LR4 V8 i test drove was slow as molasses and got the poorest gas mileage... the V6 cayenne is quicker and double's the gas mileage!... Land Rover has to supercharge the V8 just to get numbers similar to the N/A V8 from Porsche!. i will say however other car makers do leave more ground clearance for off road usage... the cayenne is a little "low" imo for off road, but at same time it could be sexier a little lower for the street (cure= air suspension!)

i would love an air suspension option without PASM (2k!)
Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

Nice write up Riley, good stuff!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:58 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

side note, anyone else notice the "passenger airbag off" light works differently than any other porsche before it?

**EDIT**

Previous models:
No weight in seats=no light
Weight in seat under XX lbs.=light saying airbag off
Weight in seat over XX lbs.=light off (airbag on)

Current Model:
No weight in seat=light saying airbag off
Weight in seat under XX lbs.=light saying airbag off
Weight in seat over XX lbs.=light off (airbag on)

annoying at night to have a giant orange light on in vehicle. :-/

Last edited by rijowysock; 03-26-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:28 PM
ryan09
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent write up. The color combo you picked looks great. Also not sure about that passenger airbag light? Mine is never on, just when there's weight on the passenger seat it displays "Passenger Airbag ON" on the dash display and when there is no more weight it just says "Passenger Airbag OFF". But they might have changed it, mine is a '06.

Ryan
Old 03-26-2011, 05:29 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is on as "Off" when there's no one in the passenger seat.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:35 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Old 03-26-2011, 05:42 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You got it. Or maybe I'm just not noticing a fat passenger on the front seat
Old 03-26-2011, 08:20 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

good job Riley
Old 03-26-2011, 09:00 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Great write up,thanks for all the details and sharing your excitement and pleasure with us
I am delighted about the positive experience you are having with your Cayenne
Happy trails...
Old 03-26-2011, 10:37 PM
KS-CS
Racer

With my 2011 V-6 just days away from delivery, your review helped to reinforce my decision to go with the V6 . . . Thanks! (great pics BTW).
Old 03-26-2011, 11:14 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by KS-CS
With my 2011 V-6 just days away from delivery, your review helped to reinforce my decision to go with the V6 . . . Thanks! (great pics BTW).
my thoughts exactly! Can't wait to get mine next month!!!

what options did you get w/ the truck rijowysock?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:19 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GBX
my thoughts exactly! Can't wait to get mine next month!!!

what options did you get w/ the truck rijowysock?

Cayenne:

Meteor Gray ($790) (9Q)
Luxor Beige (MC)

OPTIONS:
Black Trim ($150) (QJ4)
Delete Model Designation ($0) (0NA)

Servotronic ($270) (1N3)
8 Speed AutoMatic ($3000) (G1G)
Extended Range Fuel Tank ($0) (0M1)

Standard Wheels ($0) (C1J)

Non Smoker Package ($0) (9JA)
Three Spoke Sports Wheels ($0) (1ML)
Standard 8 Way Power Seats ($0) (Q1G)

Porsche Crests Front Headrest ($285) (3J7)

*my only regret would be not getting air suspension, but then again if i splurged 4k for air susp, i probably would have also splurged 4k for NAV, 4k for full leather and jumped the Nav to the one package, to the next, and then to the ultimate package with everything.. (lol)
Old 03-27-2011, 10:44 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
Cayenne:

Meteor Gray ($790) (9Q)
Luxor Beige (MC)

OPTIONS:
Black Trim ($150) (QJ4)
Delete Model Designation ($0) (0NA)

Servotronic ($270) (1N3)
8 Speed AutoMatic ($3000) (G1G)
Extended Range Fuel Tank ($0) (0M1)

Standard Wheels ($0) (C1J)

Non Smoker Package ($0) (9JA)
Three Spoke Sports Wheels ($0) (1ML)
Standard 8 Way Power Seats ($0) (Q1G)

Porsche Crests Front Headrest ($285) (3J7)

*my only regret would be not getting air suspension, but then again if i splurged 4k for air susp, i probably would have also splurged 4k for NAV, 4k for full leather and jumped the Nav to the one package, to the next, and then to the ultimate package with everything.. (lol)
haha. I hear yeah. You can get carried away pretty quickly building these cars!!

Quick Reply: So fast you would think it was last years V8! (The 2011 True Hollywood Story)