Notices

944/968 Cab rear window section removal and replacement.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:24 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts
Default 944/968 Cab rear window section removal and replacement.

Hey all- we have kicked around cab stuff for some time so I wanted to post the details.. (no spelling promises- I am very busy these days... LOL)

The rear window section is removeable seperate from all the mechinisms of the top and can be replaced independent of the lift lower sections. Since most of our cars are fine except the window this is very benificial to all of us. I did mine for only $250 but brought the shop the section- they simply sewn in the plastic. In the fabric dwg is the part number for the cloth from Porsche. It will be $300 plus. I replaced this in my first cab.

This dwg shows the seperation point. you will need to pull back the headliner. TAKE PICTURES, it does not go back easy without pics (headliner) and it is not obvious. I can dig up these drawings if you get stuck... Here we go-

The red arrows show the section that will seperate. It is all screws in the "C' section - no pun intended - and bolts for the chassis. The insert diagram shows the seperation point .

Section 3 in the fabric dwg can be ordered if you desire but it will still need to be streached onto the upper and lower metal bows and does not have the glass in it - fabric only in my case. I recommend bringing the entire assy to your shop so they can see how it is bonded together. If you are only doing the glass they do not have to seperate the fabric from the supports and it will fit better when they are done. If you need the entire rear section bring them the car for fit up.

The red arrows point to the part that sandwichs the fabric and bolts to the car. It is also a helpful dwg for those top rattles problems. Missing washers bolts etc.....Here is what it looks like finished.............please note I have not streached the side yet- I had a broken bolt.

Good luck everyone and I hope this helps!!!!!

Cheers, Mike
Old 01-20-2010, 02:47 PM
wcfrog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Thanks Mike. I just stumbled on your thread. There has been some discussion on here about this very matter. Most seem to think it would cost just as much to do the window so you may as well do the whole top. If I can replace my window for 200-300 I may just do that. Wish you were closer to Northern Va to help me out.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 PM
ron.eddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what kind of shop was that, who does this sort of work? Did you have to supply a new window or does the shop do that? Because if all I have to do is remove the back section and bring it in to a shop then I may be doing that very shortly
Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

revisited this post for a part number and wanted to mention - the plastic was supplied by the shop. They simply cut out the old and sewed in the new. It was an upholestry shop in Lynchburg Va. that did the work. Most shops that do tops can do this for you....

Cheers, Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 944/968 Cab rear window section removal and replacement.