Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin tire recommendations: PS2 vs. PSS

Old 10-04-2011, 07:01 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Michelin tire recommendations: PS2 vs. PSS

I just received an email from Michelin. It refers you to a website with their tire selector application. I thought I'd play long and see what they say.

I entered my car ('11 GTS) and it had me prioritize five factors: handling, braking, tire wear, comfort and fuel efficiency. Once I did all that it came up with its recommendation, the Pilot Super Sport. No surprise, and that's what I already have on my car.

But the surprise to me was that Michelin actually recommended a non "N" rated tire for a Porsche. We've all heard and read the various concerns about mounting a non-"N" tire. But now a company which manufacturers both an "N" and a non-"N" tire is actually recommending the non-"N". Hmmm... what would the lawyers make of that?

Does that create a situation where Porsche denies a warranty claim (You used a non-"N" tire! For shame!) so the user turns around and sues Michelin (You swine! You recommended that tire!)? Then what? Does Michelin retort "You fool! Why did you follow our recommendation?"

My car came with PS2's. They died after 2500 miles (OK, that did include several DE days) and I replaced those with the brand new PSS's. Having driven both I like the PSS better. But I'm quite surprised to see Michelin touting the PSS over the N-rated (and significantly more expensive) PS2.

DMoore
'11 GTS (with non N-rated PSS)
'10 Panamera 4S (with N rated PS2)
Old 10-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many people have run non-Nrated tires on their 911s for hundreds of thousands of street miles with no consequence.

PSS all the way. before mich jacks up pricing again. to which then i'll look for something else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin tire recommendations: PS2 vs. PSS