Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I am making reproduction Porsche engine cases!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 07:52 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
My simpleton math is as follows. You are into this $200,000 with a price point of $5,000 each. So you've got to sell 40 cases to break even.... Is that right?

That's going to take you about 5 minutes if you get this in the hands of the right people.
Your math is correct, Amber!

I'm real glad that I can treat this like a labor of love rather than a business. I don't think it makes 100% business sense, but man, I just wanted a 3.6 in my 914. That's the start of it really.

Who are the right people, BTW?
The following users liked this post:
GeoSnow (08-11-2019)
Old 08-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, maybe doing a thread in the 964 or 965 forums as well as the same similar on Pelican.

Names that come to mind without thinking too hard:

TRE Motorsports/Dave
Steve Weiner
Urban Outlaw/Magnus Walker
Singer Vehicle Design
Patrick Motorsports
911 Design/Loren Beggs
Bruce Canepa
Jay Leno
Bisimoto (my office is a block away )

....and I'm sure there are a dozen more right here in SoCal....
Old 08-05-2017, 10:40 PM
Catorce
Banned

^ Ah ok, makes sense. I bought my 928 race car from Bisi actually. Also was already approached by Singer and met with them already. The next step for them is to test one of the cases when complete, and barring the unlikely chance that it is a turd, they're going to be buying.

I'll eventually get around to actually marketing the thing, but in the meantime i need to finish my prototype and build my motor.

Then, I'll be looking for locals to beta test the case, maybe 2-3 builds total in which I will give them a free case in exchange for them building and running a motor. Details to follow!
Old 08-05-2017, 11:17 PM
texas_maverick
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I love disruptive technologies. Fantastic work! I see a bright future ahead.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:37 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Auto Farm UK, Ruf, Andial is gone, but 40 would be not too difficult I would think.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:41 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My simpleton math is as follows. You are into this $200,000 with a price point of $5,000 each. So you've got to sell 40 cases to break even.... Is that right?

That's going to take you about 5 minutes if you get this in the hands of the right people.
You forgot to include the cost of actually producing each unit. He's at 200k in R and D. So say each one actually costs 3k to produce, you have to factor that into the equation.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:06 AM
Catorce
Banned

^ correct
Old 08-06-2017, 12:08 AM
Catorce
Banned

Originally Posted by texas_maverick

Thank you! What's funny is that almost every other manufacturer has aftermarket blocks (dodge, chevy, nissan, etc etc) except Porsche.

Until now!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:14 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by texas_maverick
Originally Posted by Catorce
^ Ah ok, makes sense. I bought my 928 race car from Bisi actually. Also was already approached by Singer and met with them already. The next step for them is to test one of the cases when complete, and barring the unlikely chance that it is a turd, they're going to be buying.

I'll eventually get around to actually marketing the thing, but in the meantime i need to finish my prototype and build my motor.

Then, I'll be looking for locals to beta test the case, maybe 2-3 builds total in which I will give them a free case in exchange for them building and running a motor. Details to follow!
Wait, did you say your 928 came from Bisi? Was it the one in the link below? Was it without engine? Did it have the name Maverick w/Texas flag next to it as a driver. Was it car 829? Hella lights all over the front? If so.....you have quite a storied car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...l#post14370755
Old 08-06-2017, 01:06 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I had mentioned on another thread I spent 30 years manufacturing aluminum and magnesium sand castings. I have never heard of strontium infused A356.0T6. I would like to learn more. It by all rights would contradict the designation of A356 but new things happen all the time. Also who is making your castings? Appears to be a water based green sand not petrobond. You might see if they can reduce the moisture level of their sand mix it will improve the surface finish. We revised a nice sand mix for magnesium that actually makes it's own water and was able to reduce the level from 5-7% to 3-5%. My castings had a die cast like finish but we used petrobond sand.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Catorce
Banned

Wait, did you say your 928 came from Bisi? Was it the one in the link below? Was it without engine? Did it have the name Maverick w/Texas flag next to it as a driver. Was it car 829? Hella lights all over the front? If so.....you have quite a storied car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...l#post14370755
Yep, that's my car, the Devore Car, in my signature. There is another thread on here where I am restoring it, in the 928 section. Here, let me post a better pic of it.

Done a lot of work to that car, and the engine is almost complete (6.57L NA monster)!!!
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2017, 02:11 PM
Catorce
Banned

Originally Posted by cobalt
I had mentioned on another thread I spent 30 years manufacturing aluminum and magnesium sand castings. I have never heard of strontium infused A356.0T6. I would like to learn more. It by all rights would contradict the designation of A356 but new things happen all the time. Also who is making your castings? Appears to be a water based green sand not petrobond. You might see if they can reduce the moisture level of their sand mix it will improve the surface finish. We revised a nice sand mix for magnesium that actually makes it's own water and was able to reduce the level from 5-7% to 3-5%. My castings had a die cast like finish but we used petrobond sand.
Cobalt,

I am VERY happy to have your experience on this thread! Keep looking closely at the pics and provide guidance.

The foundry that is making these is Fontana Foundry in the city of the same name. They have been in business since 1946 (!) and the knowledge level there is very high - Jeff, the current owner, has worked in the foundry since he was a kid, and before that, it was his dad's, and before that it was his grandpa's.

It took a long time to find the "right" foundry to do this job, and I interviewed several. I needed to find a place committed to the quality that I was after.

To your comment of surface finish - you have a keen eye. It was a major point of discussion on the first prototype case - I was not happy with the grain pattern but in their defense they were worried about the gating and the chillers working right and kind of sidelined the surface finish for the time being.

The next one will have a much better finish and as you know they are shot peened for strength but as a side benefit cosmetics.

I will the foundry the details regarding strontium modification, but if you google it, strontium is added to change the shape of the silicon crystal which bumps up the impact resistance and makes for a slightly stronger case. It's a common procedure in automotive castings and the foundry was pretty much dead set on doing it from the get go.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Catorce
Yep, that's my car, the Devore Car, in my signature. There is another thread on here where I am restoring it, in the 928 section. Here, let me post a better pic of it.

Done a lot of work to that car, and the engine is almost complete (6.57L NA monster)!!!
Crazy small world. Guessing the stories came with it. If the lights need a home I'd be happy to put them to use.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Catorce
Banned

Crazy small world. Guessing the stories came with it. If the lights need a home I'd be happy to put them to use.

Most of the stuff Maverick put on there is long gone; it was some of the first stuff I took off. Wanted the car to be as it was when Bob Devore designed it. Let's just say the PO put a lot of non functional bling on there.....
Old 08-06-2017, 04:41 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

BTW, the strontium infused A356.0T6 is a common way to reduce (and perhaps shape) the grain size

a search in a materials science journal database will produce a lot of info; ASTME also

on a related note... a really well designed CAE crankshaft would be nice - modern methods could reduce wt. and increase strength even as compared with the later stock cranks which also used CAE

then there the cams - PAG started using hollow tubes with the Boxster/99 (IIRC) to save wt. - the lobes are pressed on

Quick Reply: I am making reproduction Porsche engine cases!