Help identifying some struts

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 PM
k.jeffries
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identifying some struts

Hello all.. Looking for some guidance from the experts

I'm trying to identify some 911 struts, possibly/probably Bilstein RSR coilovers

There is a number on the right strut, 344AK53999 (have not taken the left off yet) along with "Made in Germany" they were originally green which should mean they are Bilstein

Now I know you can measure the spindle height and that will help identify it but I'm having some confusion on where that measurement is taken.. is it from roughly the center of the spindle on the backside (A) to B or C

Thank you all in advance. Ken

Old 08-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm unable to see your pics, but if you email me with them, I'll ID them for you.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting. It is a Bilstein RSR coilover strut. Are you running coilovers on them? The RSR struts have only recently been painted yellow.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:11 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are early and original RSR struts.

If you don't want the cartridges, I'll take them. I need one (don't ask) as a core to send to Bilstein for a rebuild.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:22 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
Those are early and original RSR struts.

If you don't want the cartridges, I'll take them. I need one (don't ask) as a core to send to Bilstein for a rebuild.
Is there anything special about that cartridge? Didn't know there were differences. I've got a pair of extras from my build...you are welcome to....the insert, not the strut body.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2017, 12:50 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Is there anything special about that cartridge? Didn't know there were differences. I've got a pair of extras from my build...you are welcome to....the insert, not the strut body.
The cartridge is not special. Many people HATE the valving. But the cartridge top is perfectly flat, that's how you know it's an RSR. In a moment of stupidity I tossed out my blown RSR cartridge. I should have sent it in to Bilstein, because I still have the other one.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:14 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

rusnak, have you tried calling Glenn Yee?
Old 08-13-2017, 01:43 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
rusnak, have you tried calling Glenn Yee?
I'll look him up
Old 08-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

The cartridge is not special. Many people HATE the valving. But the cartridge top is perfectly flat, that's how you know it's an RSR. In a moment of stupidity I tossed out my blown RSR cartridge. I should have sent it in to Bilstein, because I still have the other one.
Maybe I'm still asleep......but "it isn't special" and "it's perfectly flat" sound like a contradiction. I have a pair of Bilstein inserts for Bilstein struts you are welcome to. Heaven know you have sent me way too much stuff for my car, some struts are easy. If they are shaped right but valved wrong send them to Juan at Bilstein Poway.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:11 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll look him up
He's in San Dimas. Factory trained Bilstein tech from the Aase IMSA days. He's the same guy who does the blueprinted oil pumps Ollie's sells. Amazing suspension resourse. He still does set up on a bunch of modern IMSA and PWC cars but his interest is more in the older cars.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:14 PM
k.jeffries
AutoX

Steve. email has been sent.. thank you for your time.

Amber yes they have coil overs, Eibachs with tender springs

Rusnak, I'll probably be keeping everything bundled
Old 08-13-2017, 02:49 PM
k.jeffries
AutoX

Okay with the help from Steve Weiner of Rennsport Systems they are original RSR struts with a 17 mm raised spindle... that should do it, on to the next step
Old 08-13-2017, 03:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by k.jeffries
Steve. email has been sent.. thank you for your time.

Amber yes they have coil overs, Eibachs with tender springs

Rusnak, I'll probably be keeping everything bundled
Eibach??? What weight is the spring? ...and how heavy is the car?

Come to think of it tell us about the car.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:01 PM
k.jeffries
AutoX

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Eibach??? What weight is the spring? ...and how heavy is the car?

Come to think of it tell us about the car.
Originally a 914 with narrowed group5 flares, SBC conversion with a Pantera transaxle.

quick and dirty I did not build the car. That was done in the mid 2000s Original builder had some okay ideas but a bit over engineered (to be kind). He did all the right things, took chassis down to the shell, blasted and then began reassembly but went a little overboard on somethings and under on others... he bought all the good stuff, no $$ spared just the application of many of the products was poorly thought out

Example: full roll cage using DOM tied into all the proper pickup points plus some... that was fine, welds even look great.. bad point is something in the main cage didn't fit so he cut out sections in spots and added length to others so you basically have a glamor roll cage... looks good but I'm not trusting it...lol so now if I were to have a cage in the car it would have to be completely taken out and replaced from ground up... no cage is probably safer than the cage that's in it.. would hate to see where those bars go if tested.

lots of things like that, body work looks great but I know there's 100 pounds of Bondo involved if the fiberglass whale tail rear deck lid is any indictor.. thing weighs a ton

Converted whole care to 5 lug with a beautiful set of original HRE 3 piece Fuchs in great condition, that was the good part, the bad is they're still too narrow for that body work so the car ended up with 930 adapters and 25 mmm spacers...lol (i wonder how long the wheel bearings would have lasted?)

Original builder only put 7 k on car before he decided to do something else and needed the engine and trans so the car was then sold to another guy where it sat collecting dust as he gathered parts to drop an LS1 into it and then that stalled...

I looked at it, looked at the parts and thought okay even if worse comes to worse i can part it out and make my money back or sell some parts off and replace with the proper parts I need.

I have a solid non flared 914 shell that a lot/some of this will go on. I'll put a flat 6 in it to keep it all Porsche (Don't want my step dad Roger Bursch looking down on me from above with that scowl of his, got enough of that working for him haha)

so I'm still in the early stages of figuring out what I have, what I need and where I want to end up

But right now I have 2003 VW Eurovan that needs new brake pads and a 12 year old daughter the wants to help put them on so I'm gonna go get dirty
Old 08-13-2017, 05:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Interesting. I've got an LS7 (LS2 heads, LS9 cam) monster engine sitting in my driveway right now. Similar bad idea landed the poor thing in a 968.

......and I just put new rotors on my TRD Taco.

Quick Reply: Help identifying some struts