Old 12-31-2017, 04:13 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
It’s unplugged now. 😆

Where to source the injectors?
​​​​​​
Mine are in my signature. I've got a friend in the business but they can be had at any injector shop.

I've got ribs on the BBQ or I'd go I to detail.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:51 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Pictured is the most common 911 3.2 DME failure, which can be easily re-soldered in a few minutes saving time and money by not sending it away for "rebuilding".
Old 01-01-2018, 07:28 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Thank you Loren.
Everyone I know in the business locally uses Loren for all things Bosch.

Any common cause come to mind as to why I need to leave the key in the ON position for 5+ seconds before hitting the starter?
Old 01-03-2018, 06:55 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 957 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb

Pictured is the most common 911 3.2 DME failure, which can be easily re-soldered in a few minutes saving time and money by not sending it away for "rebuilding".
Man, my board looked WAY worse than that. Like water damage bad. But alas, it's already been sent off to see if can be repaired, and my core charge refunded . . .
Old 01-24-2018, 06:20 PM
dkilmartin
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, where did you end up sending your DME repair? I am in a similar situation. My mechanic borrowed a good working DME and the car ran great, no issues. So we will send mine out for repair. I have an aftermarket chip in there now but would like something better. Who is Wong and Steve, some posts referenced chips from them. Let me know the best rebuild. Fast, Fast, Fast!! (speed)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:04 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dkilmartin
So, where did you end up sending your DME repair? I am in a similar situation. My mechanic borrowed a good working DME and the car ran great, no issues. So we will send mine out for repair. I have an aftermarket chip in there now but would like something better. Who is Wong and Steve, some posts referenced chips from them. Let me know the best rebuild. Fast, Fast, Fast!! (speed)
Steve Wong is the gentleman that owns and runs 911Chips. http://www.911chips.com/. He is the DME guru. I ordered a completely refurbished DME with his performance chip and literally had it the next day (paid for overnight shipping of course). You can then send your old DME to him, and if it’s repairable, he’ll refund you a $300 core credit.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:18 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Except for water damage or an intermittent spark, the 911 3.2 DME ECM has little to no problems. What was the problem you were having?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:27 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Except for water damage or an intermittent spark, the 911 3.2 DME ECM has little to no problems. What was the problem you were having?
True, but read through the info on 911Chips site. Gives a good overview of what can go wrong with just age and wear alone. Mine may have had water damage at some point, but many of the soldered connections were just shrinking in cold and expanding once up to temp. Just from age, best we could tell.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:14 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

True, but read through the info on 911Chips site. Gives a good overview of what can go wrong with just age and wear alone.
Actually read here: http://www.systemsc.com/problems.htm ; under Porsche, DME ECM which provides data from over 25 years rebuilding those ECMs.

but many of the soldered connections were just shrinking in cold and expanding once up to temp. Just from age, best we could tell.
That's not true and misleading. It takes over 350 degrees F to begin to melt solder and/or to affect the circuit board connections.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:28 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Actually read here: http://www.systemsc.com/problems.htm ; under Porsche, DME ECM which provides data from over 25 years rebuilding those ECMs.

That's not true and misleading. It takes over 350 degrees F to begin to melt solder and/or to affect the circuit board connections.
That’s a great resource. Wish I’d had it when I was troubleshooting. I wasn’t suggesting the connections had been melted by heat. And it’s just conjecture as to what caused my board to deteriorate, but it was nonetheless “shorting” from poor connectivity. It was also a FL car before I bought it, and never saw cold temps. My issues surfaced only when the weather got cold enough.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:38 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

LOL....Loren, relax.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

In any event, it sounds like you went through all the same checks and balances and narrowed it down to the DME itself. If resources permit, having a refurbished unit sent out, and sending yours back is a pleasantly convenient way to get back behind the wheel. I was frustrated as hell, and it was a huge relief to just get it running perfectly again. If you have the patience and electrical knowledge to tinker with the board itself, more power to you. I lack both those things.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:14 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
LOL....Loren, relax.
Yes, but I hate to see forum members be "taken-down-the-path" and possibly waste money.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:16 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Yes, but I hate to see forum members be "taken-down-the-path" and possibly waste money.
No path-leading intended on my part. Just sharing my experience. I am the last person anyone should take technical advice from. I defer to those with substantially more experience and know-how than me.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:08 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

No path-leading intended on my part. Just sharing my experience. I am the last person anyone should take technical advice from. I defer to those with substantially more experience and know-how than me.
No, not you. Just those "rebuilders" that recommend that Porsche electronic ECUs need to be rebuilt, when many cases that's not necessary and the problem is elsewhere.
Then when the ECU is returned "rebuilt", the rebuilder says it needed to be rebuilt anyway, because it was going to fail in the future. And for you or your mechanic
to continue to find the real problem. Great way to do business, right?

Quick Reply: 3.2 Cold Run Issues