Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Please school me on my 1977 Carrera 3 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 12:55 PM
mrneddles
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Please school me on my 1977 Carrera 3 Targa

Just got back from Barrett-Jackson and I took the plunge/lifted the bidder badge on this 1977 Carrera 3 Targa. I am super excited about the car, so don't rain on my parade too much. I would love to know more about the model. According to the description, not many of these exist (365 left hand drive vehicles produced). The car has 46k miles on the odometer. Looks like it has been repainted, but must have been a glass/trim out repaint as I see no obvious over-spray.

My plan is to drive and enjoy it. I would try to do a sensitive restoration, attempt to return to near OEM status if advised by the experts here.

My specific questions:
-Is the tail factory? I have tried to research it and it appears that for this year/model, there was a tail delete option.
-Has anyone gone from an aftermarket leather seat back to velour inserts? If so, do you have pictures of the final result? The certificate of authenticity says the seats had velour inserts with pinstriping.
-The front air dam is deformed and the paint is terribly orange peeled. This will definitely have to be addressed as it looks like an aftermarket repair.

Thanks in advance for looking and any input!

Name:  YUgedZQ.png
Views: 43
Size:  1.31 MB
Name:  MzMydf4.png
Views: 45
Size:  1.31 MB
Name:  FiEUrfh.png
Views: 46
Size:  1.56 MB
Name:  wZoJENN.png
Views: 40
Size:  1.37 MB
Name:  LGEiPRu.png
Views: 42
Size:  114.8 KB
Name:  N7eqB57.png
Views: 41
Size:  1,018.8 KB
Old 01-23-2018, 01:30 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 123 Posts

The rubber whale tail is original. Pinstripe inserts were common in European cars. The material is readily available. What you have will wear better.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:21 PM
mrneddles
Instructor

Two more images of the wonky air dam. I didn't get to to inspect the dash to see if it was spec'd with fog lights. Have to wait 3 weeks for shipping across the country.

Name:  S8bNxPs.png
Views: 46
Size:  906.7 KB
Name:  FEVR4Y1.png
Views: 42
Size:  989.0 KB
Old 01-23-2018, 02:29 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

I was under he impression the Carrera 3.o was only Marketed in Europe, and only the 2.7S was available in North America
Do you know where your car came from ?? It does not have European bumperttes or fender marker light so it makes it a unique example.

I found this :

The Carrera 3.0 was launched in the summer of 1975 in all markets except North America. It became part of a three-car Porsche line-up for the 1976 model year, its siblings being the 930 Turbo and the basemodel 2.7-litre 911, sold in Britain as the 911 Lux. The latter was a 165bhp model with Bosch K-Jetronic fuel-injection intended to provide a relatively low-cost entry into Porsche ownership.
The Carrera 3.0 was available from the outset as either a coup? or a Targa, with liftout roof panel. It was also offered with a choice of three transmissions: four- and fivespeed manual, or three-speed Sportomatic. The Carrera 3.0 was dropped from the range (along with the 2.7-litre 911) for 1978, making way for the new 911SC. It is interesting to note that the Carrera 3.0 was lighter than its successors, weighing in at 1093kg, some six per cent lighter than the SC (at 1160kg) and almost 10 per cent lighter than the Carrera 3.2 (at 1210kg). Just 3687 Carrera 3.0s were built, compared with 58,000 911SCs! Production ended in 1977.

Last edited by theiceman; 01-23-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:56 PM
mrneddles
Instructor

All I know is it was sold at Barrett Jackson Northeast last summer to a dealer in CT. Then they apparently flipped it to me this weekend. I have reached out to the dealer in CT to see what additional information they can provide. I have not heard back yet. The title is supposed to be sent within 3 weeks.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:40 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

I think the VIN is correct for a 1977 Carrera 3.0, but you should confirm that your engine number actually matches the COA. It should have a 5-blade fan in 1977, but someone could have upgraded that to the 11-blade you have now.

However that air cleaner snorkel also doesn't look right. It is from a 911SC engine. There is a "pinch" in the middle of the snorkel on the 1977 3.0 engines based on the photos I've seen online, and the Shell sticker is on the far left.

The engine number should be stamped on a vertical surface of the engine block at the lower right of the fan.

Mark
Old 01-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by mrneddles
Just got back from Barrett-Jackson and I took the plunge/lifted the bidder badge on this 1977 Carrera 3 Targa. I am super excited about the car, so don't rain on my parade too much. I would love to know more about the model. According to the description, not many of these exist (365 left hand drive vehicles produced). The car has 46k miles on the odometer. Looks like it has been repainted, but must have been a glass/trim out repaint as I see no obvious over-spray.

My plan is to drive and enjoy it. I would try to do a sensitive restoration, attempt to return to near OEM status if advised by the experts here.

My specific questions:
-Is the tail factory? I have tried to research it and it appears that for this year/model, there was a tail delete option.
-Has anyone gone from an aftermarket leather seat back to velour inserts? If so, do you have pictures of the final result? The certificate of authenticity says the seats had velour inserts with pinstriping.
-The front air dam is deformed and the paint is terribly orange peeled. This will definitely have to be addressed as it looks like an aftermarket repair.

Thanks in advance for looking and any input!

Mostly a nice car but there are some issues

The tail is factory, usually installed by a dealership on a tailless car where the customer wants a tail, only issue w/ these uis that they are very heavy and often sun damaged(this appears to be indecent shape The top looks to be in good shape. Wheels should be 6 & 7 x16 Fuchs w/ 205/55 & 225/50 tires

The engine cooling fan should be a 5 blade someone has swapped in a later one for better cooling, probably a good thing

One side heat tube is missing, the coil is not stock

This is what a stock engine will look like, 5 blade fan and heat tube across the top of the motor to the right side header

On the front bumper the turn signals have been converted to be US DoT compliant, and the oe tall headlight squirters replaced w/ late low profile versions. Most of those cars came w/ fogs, The original RoW headlights have been replaced w/ US 'sugar scoop' style. The chin spoiler is also factory but looks to have been sloppily installed.

In back the rear bumper has the much larger and more obtrusive bumper pillows replacing the RoW versions that were on the car originally
original rear bumper pillows and tail

The interior appears to stock and in decent shape, though the steering wheels and horn pad need some "Colorback" and some leather treatment, Someone probably swapped in the leather seats at some point
Old 01-23-2018, 06:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

Also note the 3.0 SC engine badge on the shroud. I would not have expected to see that from theis car, this would have shown up a year later, easily added though.

Regardless, a very nice example of a clean car .
Old 01-23-2018, 06:33 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Also note the 3.0 SC engine badge on the shroud. I would not have expected to see that from theis car, this would have shown up a year later, easily added though.

Regardless, a very nice example of a clean car .
The timing decal is correct
SC was an interPorsche code before it became a model designation

here's a correct C3 engine, w/ correct fan , coil and ss sleeved ignition wire, this one has the updated pressure fed tensioners, another common upgrade

and here's the timing decal on the shroud

correct headlights and tall squirters

seats w/ inserts
Old 01-24-2018, 10:11 AM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone has to say it: this is a VERY desirable 911! You probably know they only made them for 2 years. People pay up for these cars. I kinda can't believe you bought it without knowing the impact of your purchase.

SC's are commonplace. Your car isn't. If it were me I'd go over this car with a fine tooth comb, noting all the serial numbers and little 3.0 details that set it apart from a normal 77 to confirm it is a REAL 3.0. If it is, stand by.
Depending on what you paid for it, you might have it a homer. These are great cars, have a very loyal (and passionate) following. You're a very lucky man to have one as your first 911.

Wow.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:14 AM
mrneddles
Instructor

Originally Posted by NYNick
Someone has to say it: this is a VERY desirable 911! You probably know they only made them for 2 years. People pay up for these cars. I kinda can't believe you bought it without knowing the impact of your purchase.

SC's are commonplace. Your car isn't. If it were me I'd go over this car with a fine tooth comb, noting all the serial numbers and little 3.0 details that set it apart from a normal 77 to confirm it is a REAL 3.0. If it is, stand by.
Depending on what you paid for it, you might have it a homer. These are great cars, have a very loyal (and passionate) following. You're a very lucky man to have one as your first 911.

Wow.
Thank you! I didn't know much about the model prior to arriving a Barrett Jackson, but it presented very well. I knew it was going to cross the block early Saturday morning, so I rushed to be sure have an opportunity to bid. I had to raise my bidder badge at the price it was going at, I figured you can't go wrong with air cooled. Even if it was a Frankenstein car, it would be a fun car and the price seemed right, maybe even a steal. There was one other phone bidder who's proxy was on the stage with me. With minimal fuss, and in a blink of an eye, the hammer dropped and I was signing paperwork.

BTW not my first 911, I had a 997 Carrera S Cab.

Name:  LBDVpME.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  50.9 KB
Old 01-24-2018, 03:10 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

One minor item: you want Color Back (with a space)

COLORBACK is a landscape liquid colorant used for restoring the natural color to existing discolored, faded or dormant areas such as pine-straw, mulch and grass/turf areas...
Old 01-24-2018, 09:04 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats and I hope you plan on racking up the miles, they deserve to be driven :-)
I have a friend with a 75 3.0 Carrera Coupe, he picked it up around 1980 and has close to 180,000 miles on it.

Looks like the CDI box was replaced with a MSD unit.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:21 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by r911
One minor item: you want Color Back (with a space)

COLORBACK is a landscape liquid colorant used for restoring the natural color to existing discolored, faded or dormant areas such as pine-straw, mulch and grass/turf areas...
Word of advice for my fellow Rennlisters:. Do not read the above post while high on pain meds sitting on the crapper waiting for spin class to start at LA fitness. I can't for the life of me find the picture of discolored bark.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:26 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Come to think of it what proof do we have that this is a true C3,0? COA doesn't say anything about it and badges are a dime a dozen.

Quick Reply: Please school me on my 1977 Carrera 3 Targa