Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Best/Worest Roads

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 11:32 AM
tdatk944+S4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worst road has to be PA turnpike. That things been under construction with jersey barriers since ???????? Hazardous as hell under perfect conditions. Nuff said.
Fav road ... BRP MM1 through MM278 each spring on the way to SITM.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:49 AM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bump - a good thread
Rt. 17 Appalachian Gap Vermont
Old 03-26-2009, 08:50 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tdatk944+S4
Worst road has to be PA turnpike. That things been under construction with jersey barriers since ???????? Hazardous as hell under perfect conditions. Nuff said.
Fav road ... BRP MM1 through MM278 each spring on the way to SITM.
I agree.

I traveled that road back in 87 and will not drive it unless I was in a tank.

John
Old 03-26-2009, 09:46 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GothingNC
I agree.

I traveled that road back in 87 and will not drive it unless I was in a tank.

John
+100 PA turnpike sucks
5hrs pulling a trailer with a 968 in the rain at night. I can't believe you have to pay a toll for that road.

There are some great twisty roads down on the OH river from Marietta to Cinci, lots of small "forgotten" towns too. Best part is no cell coverage!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 185 Posts

For a pure, ultimate driving experience there is nothing that can touch the "Dragon" in TN/NC.
SR 555 in southern Ohio comes pretty darn close. It's a different experience, the road is longer, and the turns aren't quite as tight, but they are close. Speeds can get a little higher on 555, so it can lul you into making a mistake. There were really only two places on the dragon where I was in 3rd gear, and I doubt if I ever went faster than 75. Not that it was a competition, but it was sort of my pilgrimage to the dragon and I left there with the feeling that it was one of the most dangerous things I've ever done.... Mainly because of the other people who can't stay in their lane, and the TRUCKS! I left my hotel at about 6:30am on a week day, and was tugging my harnesses tight right as the morning fog lifted. I only saw 3 other cars the whole time I was driving, and one box truck..no motorcycles. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has not been, though I think if I ever go back I might take a bike because I have 100 times the self restraint on a motorcycle. As I understand it, there are quite a few other roads in this region that are almost on par with US129, but they are not "famous", so your safety margin increases.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:35 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Worst road ever: The western half of the Saddle Road between Kona and Hilo on the big island of Hawaii. Rental car companies forbid you from taking their cars on that road, but I did.

Best road ever: The Eastern half of the same road. Driving down from past Mauna Kea all the way into Hilo is the most extraordinary road I've ever driven. Glass smooth, didn't see a single car the whole way, and banked twisties so perfect it was like a video game.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, I posted this thread 5 years ago. Good to see a classic show up again. Thanks for bringing it back from the dead!

Another good road: Rt. 144 on Westport Island, Maine
Old 03-26-2009, 12:55 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

being from east TN i have deals gap at my disposal whenever i want to go. I was up there last weekend. that is by far one of the best roads to be on if you like the curves. But, i think i would much rather just cruise the Pacific coast hwy or something like that.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:28 PM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Worst roads, anywhere in NYC!
Best roads, anywhere outside NYC!

Im serious, NYC is so bad that when I find myself outside NYC in my Porsche im in heaven.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:34 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Some of the best near me (Atlanta/Marietta) are the North GA mountains, Rt-60, 75, 180, 197, & 129 (yes, stay on it long enough and you are at the Dragon). I can leave in the morning, spend the day driving on roads almost as twisty as the dragon, and not repeat a route in 5 hours. Do it during the week and there is not much traffic, forgetaboutit in the fall when the trees change color. Avoid them in the winter too, after the first frost as they dump gravel all over.

I will hand it to the Deals Gap folks, they know who butters their bread, the Dragon is one beautifully maintained road, they may be tough on law enforcement, but they make the roads dare you to try.

Worst road near me is I-20 just across the GA state line (on the way to Barber Motorsports Park) when you get to Aniston, AL the next 20-30 miles is the worst road surface I have even seen. It's concrete and the slabs and expansion joints didn't stay flat and it's like 30 miles of railroad crossings. Throw in a tightly sprung track suspension and you are lucky to have any kidneys or teeth by the time you get to Barber. At 65 mph you are basically bouncing from joint to joint. If anything on the car is loose it WILL fall off on that ride. Had a friend crack an exhaust manifold on his truck on the way. Although... Barber does make up for it a bit once you get there..

Last edited by AJ88CAB; 03-27-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Shack2112
Advanced

+1 on the Whistler, B.C. to Lillooet drive.
A buddy and myself headed out to Whistler (for sushi) the second day after getting the car. We decided to head to Kelowna then back to Calgary and listened to the GPS for the route. The GPS must have known what we were driving and what was required. A lot of twists and turns allong with a older gentleman in the middle of know where sitting on a log. He was nice and friendly, he gave us the finger as we drove by !!

1990 964 C4 aka "Baby"
Old 03-26-2009, 08:03 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the Blue Ridge Parkway through the highlands in NC is as good as it gets.

Tail of the dragon is a total waste of a Porsche.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:02 PM
jwilson95
Racer

Been to the Dragon once with the Boxster S and it rained heavily, so need to do that one again.

Blue Ridge Pkwy in VA is nice, but traffic heavy at times and policed pretty hard.

The worst is easily DC, NoVA, MD 495 beltway from my experience.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:20 AM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another awesome road I've done numerous times is Route 191 in eastern Arizona, from Duncan up to Eager, there's nearly a 100 miles of curves. The road pops up and down thousands of feet several times as it sneaks it way around and then up the Mogollon rim. The section above Morenci is absolutely deserted outside of hunting season - the only things you need to keep an eye out for are elk, cattle and coyotes. But be gassed up and avoid it if it's going to snow - otherwise you'll wish you had high clearance, 4WD and chains - it seems to get plowed a few days after storms. A great drive - but does it ever chew up performance tires scurfing around the hairpin turns.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:28 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

State Hwy 43 from 101/ Paso Robles to Hwy 1/ Cambria is also nice. In the summer you go up Alpine looking mountain ridges, down through grassy valleys, end up above the ocean fog where you feel like you are flying above the clouds, and there is a dramatic drop that makes your ears pop. You end up right next to the Pacific Ocean along the rocky coastline. I stop at Cider Creek bakery to get a homemade pie, and then cut it up and share it with family in Morro Bay, where my parents have a beach house.

It's a drive where my aircooled 911 feels totally in it's element. I often see other 911s in this very same route.

Quick Reply: Best/Worest Roads