Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best/Worest Roads

Hey Everyone,
One thing that we all have in common is our love for Porsches. However, how we enjoy them as individuals is always different. I love going on the track and improving my driving skills. But I must admit there is nothing quite like taking the top off my 914 on my favorite road and falling into a perfect rhythm with the road.
Then there are those roads that we get caught on in our Porsches and swear we will never bring them on that road again. So I put the question out there to you, what is your favorite and least favorite roads you have ever driven in you favorite Porsche.
I know my favorite is RT. 1A that runs along the NH coast line. My least favorite not counting being stuck in traffic is I-84 in CT. (so boring). I look forward to you responses. Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 12-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Juan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1A in Maine is not so bad either, " beautiful site by the sea", down to Kittery.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Juan
Instructor

But then from Goldendale down to the Columbia river via Mt Adams ia literally to die for in a Porsche.

If I'm in the Porsche there ar NO bad roads.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:17 PM
jmarenas
Advanced

Default WORST ROADS!!!!!!!!!

MOST ANY IN MICHIGAN I will have to leave the state to truly enjoy my 911.
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2003, 03:53 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

favorite roads... GREAT THREAD!!!

lets see.. hard to say since ive driven across the country, and have driven roads in the midwest, new england, south east, appalacians, rockies, desrt roads of nevada, mountians of utah, california...

im gonna say US 34 in colorado, US 6 in utah, blue ridge parkway in NC,
US 1 in california, US 50 in nevada (the lonliest highway in america)
also california state route 58, between Bakersfield and san louis obispo.. great twisties, clifs, those amazing switch backs, hair pin turns, secluded areas, canyons.. lost the *** end of my car for the first time on that one!!! (which is hard to do in a 912)

why all of these? twisty, majestic, beautiful scenery, crazy twisty roads.
kinda roads i never thought i would ever be privlidged to drive on. if wanna pull off for a second the scenery and landscape draws you into its boosm. if you wanna drive like you stole it, you become one with the car and road, and experience a sense of nirvana, of which only an orgasm could compare.

check out the pictures from my trips, on both web pages and you will clearly see what im talkin bout.

what can i say about the roads of america? well.. lets just say the road goes on forever.

keep the faith,
Harry

btw.. 3 least favorites.. i71 north to cleveland.. construction 24/7/365. they fix it, the ice and salt ruins it when it all thaws in spring.

the Pensylvania turnpike.. too claustrophobic, semis next to you going down the mountians as well as barreling down from behind. the guard rail is 2 feel from your door.. not my favorite road.. especially for 9 hours straight going to philly.

finally i270 in columbus. as bad as i71 for construction.. and some damn fool wants to shoot people.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:07 AM
84porsche
Intermediate

This is one road I would like to try with a Porsche - I was on vacation in Norway and the bus driver did these with a double decker bus.
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2003, 09:35 AM
Drew Theodore
Instructor

Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina in the fall.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:39 AM
Dadofour
Advanced

I haven't traveled the country extensively, but I have run the dragon three years in a row, and it is like an 11 mile autocross with cliffs and few guard rails...

318 turns in 11 miles

Tail of the Dragon link
Old 12-23-2003, 09:51 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Although my 911 has been on many US Hys, the area that I found very different was the roads around the Grand Canyon.. Even at a safe 4k in 5th, the humility that's bestowed is, is humbling due to the majesty. For beauty it would probably have to be the Independence Pass, which crosses the continental divide into Aspen. The ET Hy is a trip in Nevada. Hy 1 on the Calif coast is very nice, but slow. Western Colorado on I-70 is fast and safe with big big fast sweepers. Nevada is probably the fastest ride, as a whole state in general, if an Open Range beast doesn't challenge you to a game of chicken when your crusing at 4k. Western Texas on I-10 is interesting and quick, but the HP tries to sneak up on you while crossing the many intersections that are on sweepers. THP figures your concerned about the sweeper instead of watching for them sneaking on. East of the Mississippi R sucks, in general, for various reasons.. either it's to slow, or a deer is gonna jump out, or to much traffic.

I would suggest the 4 state region of Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona for their vast, safe, relaxing, and beauty in a 911.
A newbie would be very impressed and never bored. The danger would probably be in developing a habit of crusing safely at 3.8k - 4.2k all day long.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:51 AM
tn911
5th Gear

For a pure, ultimate driving experience there is nothing that can touch the "Dragon" in TN/NC.

kbk
911 cab 993
Old 12-23-2003, 03:30 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

www.pashnit.com
Old 12-25-2003, 01:23 PM
UberScheitzer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guess I will have to share the so cal roads/canyon runs.
I have not tried these with the Porsche YET, only the bmw's, but plan to as soon as we get it running proper.
1) Highland valley - my favorite. Surprises me every time. Most diverse, tight, and challenging road ive ever driven. Has a nice 10 mph turn into a 180 and immediately makes to go the opposite direction another 270 degrees! Not too many know of this road.

2)Palomar Mtn - Classic. I am sure a bunch of members know of this road. Has an observatory at the top.

3)Malibu - Love it.

4)damn... cant remember a couple of them... haha ill have to re-visit this thread.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:29 AM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

If you're in Washington (or British Columbia, Canada), I suggest getting a copy of the book Destination Highways for the region you're travelling in. The books are written by motorcyle riders for motorcycle riders, and rank the best highways on the basis of twistiness, pavement condition, engineering, remoteness, scenery and character. I recently drove #2 (from the Needles ferry 80 miles west into Vernon) & #3 (Whistler 90 miles northeast to Lilloett) in BC, and they were both a hoot ... highly recommended. Just a caution, though ... the authors don't put enough emphasis on remtoeness, as I've found it takes a lot more space between corners to pass in a car than in a bike.

The books can be found online at http://www.destinationhighways.com/default.htm
Old 12-28-2003, 04:09 AM
RoninLB
Pro

IMHO

this turned out to be a great thread.
I wish there was a rennlist site decated to great 911 roads.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:25 AM
dvkk
Advanced

Nearly 2 years ago I found myself driving north along the coast from Zihuatanejo Mexico through Manzanillo to Puerto Vallarta. The road (Mexico 200) was recently re-paved, and absolutely no attempt was made to straighten it out. I remember spending hours in 3rd gear getting crappy mileage and loving it! Unlike many short thrills, this journey of twisties lasted over 700km. I bet its the same all the way to Acapulco. Traffic is always light since many Mexicans can't afford cars or gas.
I noticed the front left would squeal on right corners where the front right wouldn't on left corners. It took me about an hour to figure out why. Right handers will be tighter radius than left handers since we drive on the right.

Quick Reply: Best/Worest Roads