Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Classic 911 and valet parking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 12:05 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
I always tip a $20 and ask to self park. Has worked everywhere - except one place. I live on a Golf course and belong to the country club which is located less than 1/4 mile from my house. Drove one of the McLarens there for dinner, valet refused the tip and said he MUST drive. I told him to kick rocks and went and parked in the parking lot. Screw the test pilots, they aren't driving my cars.
This! Or walk the 1/4 mile and have a few drinks!
Old 08-02-2019, 03:53 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Old 08-03-2019, 12:44 AM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not a 911, but...
Long ago, I had an ’86 928S w/ manual. I’d owned the car about 6 months and I knew it needed a new clutch when I bought it, so that’s the first thing I had done – brand new clutch, pressure plate, the whole works.

About a month later I had to go to a work thing at the Ritz Carlton in SF – up on *** Hill. I was reluctant to valet it, but hey, it’s the Ritz right? They parked it right out front.

I came out a few hours later and the car wasn’t out front any more… been ‘taken to the garage’. Not pleased, I handed the guy the ticket and waited. A few minutes later the car showed up in a cloud of smoke with the stink of burning clutch filling the air. Seems this F***king Einstein couldn’t read the little shift pattern on the stick and brought it up California St. (ya know, the steep one, with the cable cars) taking off in second gear from every light. Because that’s where he thought first gear should be. He must have really hammered it, the smoke was so bad we started to wonder if it might be on fire!

The Ritz’s insurance paid for a new clutch.

I’ve never valeted a Porsche again. Period.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Cattch
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id never valet my car... any of them. Just knowing it wont be handled with the same care it gets with me is an issue for me. Further, if something were to break, Id rather it break when I am behind the wheel.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:07 AM
Dave Fulton
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Once in 23 years I valeted my SC and it came out unscathed fortunately at a high end hotel in Miami Beach parked there for about 3 days. Any other time I just tip well like everyone else says and ask to park it myself or they put me up front. Twice I have had valet's damage my everyday drivers that were both in like new condition and not own up to it when I went to get in. I do a complete walk around every time from that point on now.

Last edited by Dave Fulton; 09-23-2019 at 04:11 AM. Reason: additions
Old 09-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,596 Likes on 610 Posts

My 2.7S split an oil cooler under the control of an airport valet.
Wide open throttle when stone cold 'to stop stalling', because no idea what a hand throttle was...

Never since.

Quick Reply: Classic 911 and valet parking?