Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Lets talk about repaints on my 911 hunt. Does it effect resale?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 05:38 PM
Hotshot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Lets talk about repaints on my 911 hunt. Does it effect resale?

Since you folks seem to forgot more than I know... here’s the next question....paint.

I am mostly after a guards red 911 as some of you know. Of 3 cars I’m looking at 2 have fully disclosed they had a repaint. One was bought by current owner and except for a few really hard to see dents, and some ( what I’d describe as a minor freckle) little imperfections, both look fantastic. In fact one matched the original tail perfectly. So what’s the overall deal with repaints?. I want a nice car to drive. And drive a lot in good weather. They are not cheap to have done so is it an issue? One was fading so the owner had it done. The other owner suspected it was redone long before he got it.

If an orig paint car is selling for X, does the repaint take it down or up?

Thoughts?
Old 09-25-2019, 06:06 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

No, but it will affect resale

value will decline a bit, so offer less
Old 09-26-2019, 01:23 AM
403portside
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotshot
Since you folks seem to forgot more than I know... here’s the next question....paint.

I am mostly after a guards red 911 as some of you know. Of 3 cars I’m looking at 2 have fully disclosed they had a repaint. One was bought by current owner and except for a few really hard to see dents, and some ( what I’d describe as a minor freckle) little imperfections, both look fantastic. In fact one matched the original tail perfectly. So what’s the overall deal with repaints?. I want a nice car to drive. And drive a lot in good weather. They are not cheap to have done so is it an issue? One was fading so the owner had it done. The other owner suspected it was redone long before he got it.

Thoughts?
I almost didn’t even go look at the car I eventually purchased because it was advertised as having a windows-out repaint. I’m glad that I got over myself and went to look at it. I absolutely love it and am so glad that it’s been repainted. It looks showroom new and I wouldn’t have it any other way. De

finitely a process and cost I wouldn’t want to incur myself. I wanted a time-capsule driver and so concurs and originality for the $30K premium over what i paid wasn’t worth it to me. I paid a tad under $50K for a car that has $36K in restoration/service receipts in the prior 3-4 years.

So, if it’s a quality job and checks all your boxes, don’t hesitate getting a repainted car, in my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by 403portside:
550bryan (10-01-2019), Hotshot (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 11:02 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,039 Likes on 739 Posts

My car has been repainted .. not a big deal at all .. especially if its the same colour ... you want it to look nice and drive it.. worry less about resale and more about what you want ... these cars are in their 40s now ... not a big deal.
The following users liked this post:
Hotshot (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 03:13 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

yeh, mine has been repainted twice

if you don't plan to sell it then paint whatever color you want (HINT: Blue is Best)
Old 09-26-2019, 05:25 PM
Hotshot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thx guys. Ya I’m seeing the light. It’s funny how this process goes. Lots to take in.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:28 PM
ksluna
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you plan on flipping the car and see it as an investment, then repaint should be taken into consideration. For some reason people like the "original paint"

I'm glad my 89 has great paint on it, but if it was repainted at a reputable shop, that would be a plus for me since I bought my car to keep and to drive...

A quality windows out repaint costs 10-15K from what I've seen. I remember when I was in "the search" I saw multiple cars with GREAT repaints that most likely cost the seller 5 figures, yet it either didn't affect the price at all, or lowered it.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:29 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotshot

Thoughts?
Why not wrap it!
Old 09-27-2019, 04:06 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

My two cents and exactly what it worth. 15 years ago a repaint was more of an issue for the later IB cars than it is today. The youngest IB is now 30 years old, and if it has been driven, the paint may need to be addressed. Sure, it is only original once, and if we are talking about a low mileage true number 4 car, then a repaint is less desirable than an original paint example. For driver, or anything less than a #4 repaint is no longer as big an issue. If the repaint was done because the car was crunched, that is a totally different subject. My 87 has 90,000 miles and a repaint would not be out of the norm for this car. It has original paint, but frankly it has issues on the hood and few other areas. So in my opinion, a high quality repaint is not a negative, and if all else is up to date, it could be a positive, especially if all else is top notch. New paint with a tired engine and interior not so much.
RFP (09-29-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 04:32 PM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

A high quality repaint is not an issue for me.....it certainly isn't a cost I would want to bear. I looked for a car that needed everything but paint. I would rather put that money to better use.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:05 PM
danco_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm picking up my car early next week from a glass out repaint. Insurance paid most of the $15k cost, but I did end up paying about 1/3 of total price out of pocket (I made a deal with my painter).

Totally worth the hassle for me. I love the car and want it to be in it's Sunday best at all times, period.

1987 3.2 Carrera in Venetian Blue Metallic. Such a great color.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:23 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 463 Likes on 294 Posts

In my humble view a repaint is a minus only on an otherwise very high end car. 100% stock, low mileage, one or two owners only, yes it makes a big difference. On a 6 digit miles driver with sparco seats and stuff like that, zero difference whatsoever. In between, some difference depending on where it sits on that spectrum.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:00 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 123 Posts

A proper re-paint is no big deal. Most concours cars have been repainted. I assure finding a Carrera RS with
original paint will be a exercise in futility.

FWIW: A buddy of mine changed the color on a 356 Roadster and still hit it out of the park when he sold it.

It comes down to a quality job. The car shown in Danco_'s post appears to be all that. Beautiful car.
RFP (09-29-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 10:31 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A proper repaint will only increase the value of a common middie, SC, 3.2 or 964. These cars are old and too common to warrant a premium paid for original paint. Unless of course it is a ridiculously low milage example of one of these plentiful models. 75/75 Carrera/911CS/RSA etc will be worth marginally more with original paint. That said, a suspect paint job will certainly decrease the value of any of these cars.

Cheers
Old 09-30-2019, 04:39 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

no substitute for original factory finish. A repaint done correctly is very very costly on a 911 as the car has a lot of parts to dismantle to do it (figure with misc parts 12-15 thousand). Metallics are more likely to have been repainted than solid colors. If you can find an original paint car, it is worth 10% more than a repainted one considering that the original finish is in good condition

Quick Reply: Lets talk about repaints on my 911 hunt. Does it effect resale?