Tunnel fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 02:40 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Tunnel fuel lines

In my '89 Targa I have been getting a slight fuel smell in the cabin for several years. I tracked it down to the tunnel and see the fuel lines and other stuff run through this passage.

I have the engine/trans out of the car and wanted to address the fuel lines that run through the tunnel. I've done all the engine lines and they are clean.

Anybody done this? If so, what tips/tricks are recommended and what parts are ideal?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

I haven't done this job myself, however there is a lot more information in the Pelican Forums about this. Also, look up Len Cummings (user is BoxsterGT) on Pelican forums, as he used to sell complete fuel line kits.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Are you sure it is the lines and not something else?
Those lines in the tunnel are a hard plastic and I’ve not heard of them leaking.
Now. The connection from hard to soft at the fuel pump yes. And in the engine bay the 4 fuel lines. Yes.

you may want to inspect your vent system and carbon canister system lines. Additionally, the filler neck rubber joint line is a common issue, they crack on the inside.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:55 AM
bluvan
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of great info on pelican and suppliers for the lines. The trick is a coupler that connects the new line to the old so you pull from back to front. I pulled the fuel pump and front lines to make this easier along with the engine being out.

There are some bulkhead bushings in there holding the lines in place that you need find and free up to allow the fitting to pull through. Access from shift linkage and shifter hole in tunnel will help with that.

all in all not too bad just need to take your time and make sure you get the coupler. I did mine as a precaution while I was doing lots of other projects.

good luck

Old 03-27-2020, 12:14 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myflat6
I haven't done this job myself, however there is a lot more information in the Pelican Forums about this. Also, look up Len Cummings (user is BoxsterGT) on Pelican forums, as he used to sell complete fuel line kits.
Thanks for the tip. Do you know if Len still making the kits?

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Are you sure it is the lines and not something else?
Those lines in the tunnel are a hard plastic and I’ve not heard of them leaking.
Now. The connection from hard to soft at the fuel pump yes. And in the engine bay the 4 fuel lines. Yes.

you may want to inspect your vent system and carbon canister system lines. Additionally, the filler neck rubber joint line is a common issue, they crack on the inside.
Good inputs. I've never gotten a fuel smell outside the car. Just inside the car when the windows are closed and it's been sitting for a day or so. I've done all the other fuel lines outside the tunnel lines over the past few years.

Originally Posted by bluvan
Lots of great info on pelican and suppliers for the lines. The trick is a coupler that connects the new line to the old so you pull from back to front. I pulled the fuel pump and front lines to make this easier along with the engine being out.

There are some bulkhead bushings in there holding the lines in place that you need find and free up to allow the fitting to pull through. Access from shift linkage and shifter hole in tunnel will help with that.

all in all not too bad just need to take your time and make sure you get the coupler. I did mine as a precaution while I was doing lots of other projects.

good luck
Thanks.... Access via the shifter hole makes sense. I was hoping I wouldn't have to pull the console out. Not too bad but just more to do! I may as well replace the carpet, too.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:01 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
Thanks for the tip. Do you know if Len still making the kits?
Yes, reach out to him at len dot cummings at verizon dot net. I have a set of his lines for my SC that I haven't installed yet. He's retired and he'll make them as ordered, so it may take a couple of weeks. He will also make the lines on the engine that can be a problem on the 3.2L cars.

Much tougher to replace the lines with the engine in the car, but doable. Len includes a coupler that let's you connect the new line to the old line - you pull the old line out through the front, and that pulls the new line in from the rear.

This is a good thread, but there are many others: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ggestions.html

Mark
Old 03-27-2020, 02:50 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
Yes, reach out to him at len dot cummings at verizon dot net. I have a set of his lines for my SC that I haven't installed yet. He's retired and he'll make them as ordered, so it may take a couple of weeks. He will also make the lines on the engine that can be a problem on the 3.2L cars.

Much tougher to replace the lines with the engine in the car, but doable. Len includes a coupler that let's you connect the new line to the old line - you pull the old line out through the front, and that pulls the new line in from the rear.

This is a good thread, but there are many others: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ggestions.html

Mark
Thanks Mark! I sent him a note.

I read the thread you linked. The LEAKYSEALS951 guy is a fearless dude.

Quick Reply: Tunnel fuel lines