Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1972 911T Desert Barnfind, stored for 30 years

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 07:23 PM
LJ993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1972 911T Desert Barnfind, stored for 30 years

So we came across a 1972 911T that has been stored in a warehouse in the desert since 1991. It has 113k miles on it. Original Gemini Blue with Black interior. Prior owner had some sort of motor/MFI issue, bought a new car, parked the 911 and it has been sitting since. Last registered in 1991. So Cal car. No rust of any kind, other than some surface stuff along the edge of the battery tray. The rear grill had been swapped out for a black one. The original chrome grill was in the frunk. Side mirrors were changed out for black. The plan is to replace the black mirrors with chrome.

We had it trailered to San Diego from El Centro. It is at Performance Porsche in San Diego for the renewal process. Mark and crew are incredible.

The car is in incredible condition. Original paint and interior. Fuchs all around. No sunroof.

It has a funky a/c unit. The pump is a Meier was made in the City of Industry in the LA area. Has a huge evaporator under the car and another on the rear hatch. Car came with the original owner's manual and case and service booklet. It also has the original tool kit. No other records. Nobody seems to remember why it was parked. My guess is the MFI.

It has a 30-plus year old Alpine headunit, amp and two subwoofer boxes that sit behind the seats. (no bluetooth!). It was equipped with an old security system, Black Widow by David Levy Co. (DLC). Fuel filter is marked 94,491 miles and was installed on 8/16/88.

The plan is to replace the brakes with new calipers, pads and new brake lines and a new master cylinder. Pull the fuel tank, have it cleaned and lined and replace all of the fuel lines. Pull the MFI, box it up and keep it if anyone ever wants to go back to original and install some PMOs (40mm).

Dropped the engine and transmission. Pulled all four calipers. Pulled the fuel tank.

First big issue. Someone at some time had pulled the air cleaners off. Water got in the intake (perhaps when it was washed way back when) and sat in one of the cylinders........piston and head are toast. Alter the plan. Installing S model cylinders and pistons and having the heads redone. Also, sending out the cams to be reground for a bit more performance. Other than the bad piston/cylinder, the motor looked great. Dismantled the transmission to replace all seals. Cases were dropped in the chem bath for a thorough cleaning.

Getting ready to order the PMOs and waiting for the new calipers to arrive and the fuel tank to be resealed.

The car has some red Koni shocks on it right now. We will evaluate the suspension components as we go along and after the car is running will figure out what needs to be upgraded or replaced. The car does have a front sway bar.

This is going to be fun. I am trying to get the photos to upload. Hopefully soon.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:45 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

!!
Old 04-10-2020, 09:33 AM
tac911t
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just WOW. Nice find, and a great project.

The MFI pump probably crapped out, washed the cylinders down with fuel, wet the rings, and lost compression.

Does it have the 5 gauge cluster, Oil Temp/Pressure gauge, Fuel/Oil Level, Clock?

Looking forward to the pictures!
Old 04-10-2020, 11:42 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Very cool!!
Old 04-11-2020, 11:31 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

What a find, congrats! Gemini Blue is one of the best colors on an early 911 IMO. Did you consider having the original MFI rebuilt for probably about the same cost of new PMO’s?
Old 04-11-2020, 02:17 PM
Keith Guidus
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Looking forward to photo's!
Old 04-11-2020, 07:26 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NickyP
What a find, congrats! Gemini Blue is one of the best colors on an early 911 IMO. Did you consider having the original MFI rebuilt for probably about the same cost of new PMO’s?
Agreed. Worth more with original MFI. Just need to get it to someone that knows the system and you will be glad you did !
Old 04-15-2020, 02:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

great find. pics would get me through the day.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:42 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Awesome news.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe 72’s had black grills, black headlight/tail light trim, black horn grills and black Porsche script. Only the window trim and mirror was chrome.

God I sound like a guy on Pelican
Old 04-15-2020, 11:30 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

PICS please
Old 04-16-2020, 01:40 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Greek
Awesome news.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe 72’s had black grills, black headlight/tail light trim, black horn grills and black Porsche script. Only the window trim and mirror was chrome.
yeah, everything is pretty much black is what i thought too..
Old 04-16-2020, 02:35 PM
LJ993
Instructor

Default Photos issues. Still won’t load. Rebuild update

Finally some photos.
The car has black mirrors installed. Chrome trim around windows the wheel arches and along the rockers. It has a black rear grill installed and an extra chrome grill in the frunk.

Updates.

Transmission reassembled with new seals.
Motor mainly reassembled. Waiting for new cams. Installed new S pistons and cylinders heads redone, new chain kit with chains, guides, tensioners and covers. Fuel tank is back from resealing. Brakes are done. New calipers pads and rotors all around. Shocks are on hold until we get it running to she how it handles. It does have a front sway bar.

We considered having the injection rebuilt but it seems so temperamental we concluded that pmo carbs are the way to go. They are on order and should be here in a week or two.

Last edited by LJ993; 04-16-2020 at 04:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
masti99 (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 03:30 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

super nice!
the rear grill is correct. Sell the shiney one. (is it a 3 bar or 5 bar grill?)
Chrome around fender lips could be an option. Get a COA on the car.
I see a S front bumper. steel?

ditch the mirrors as fast as you can.
Save all the MFI stuff in a box. (it is costly to rebuild and to tune but worth holding on to it.)
pull all the tint IMO.

And add H4 headlights for gawds sake!
Old 04-16-2020, 04:15 PM
LJ993
Instructor

Photos loaded. User error I am sure. Tranny and engine had been apart in the past. Not sure why.

so. Did the 1972 come with a chrome rear grill or with the black. Same as to the mirrors. How about the porsche letters and numbers on the rear deck lid. Battery buckets will get some love before the new batteries are installed.

looking for recommendations on tires. Those that are on the car are at least 29 years old. Spare is probably older.

I plan on doing a thorough cleaning of wheel wells and engine compartment before the engine and tranny go back in.

I posted a photo of the a/c compressor that is installed. Haven’t decided whether to pull it and leave it without a/c or add an updated unit.

any recommendations on the a/c are appreciated.

thanks. This is really fun seeing it come back together. Can’t wait to get it on the road.

phil
Old 04-16-2020, 06:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

for detailed period-correctness, Early S Registry is the place to go :-)

I believe 72 was the shift to the chrome square mirror and black grill, horn grills, etc. But I'm not an expert on all the subtle period specific details.

Quick Reply: 1972 911T Desert Barnfind, stored for 30 years