Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Additional A/C Compressor for 1989 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 01:16 PM
gdsgti
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Additional A/C Compressor for 1989 Targa

Hello, I am brand new to the forum. I have spent thousands of dollars to get my A/C working properly. A reputable mechanic in my area (Miami, FL) has suggested adding a second compressor as a means to get the A/C to work in an acceptable way. Has anyone had trouble getting the A/C in this year car to work properly? What solution did you come up with? Thank you very much.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:51 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gdsgti
Hello, I am brand new to the forum. I have spent thousands of dollars to get my A/C working properly. A reputable mechanic in my area (Miami, FL) has suggested adding a second compressor as a means to get the A/C to work in an acceptable way. Has anyone had trouble getting the A/C in this year car to work properly? What solution did you come up with? Thank you very much.
I've never heard that before. I don't even know how it would work from a mechanical or thermodynamic perspective.

I suggest you look at the Griffiths website. From what I understand, and based on their info, the 911 AC is starved for condenser capacity. I suspect your wrench may have meant to say condenser instead of compressor.

Options exist to add up to two condensers to the car. They mount in the left rear wheel well (fore and aft of wheel). This will add further cooling capacity.

Here's a place to start: https://griffiths.com/mr-ice-project/

Old 08-13-2020, 04:34 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 229 Posts

It's all about condensers. I have the Griffiths 4 condenser set-up (This adds 2 condensers to the stock condensers in the front of the car and the tail. Griff's adds one or two condensers [I recommend two in the Deep South] with electric fans in the left rear wheel well). I also have his Hurricane blower fan and it works fine in Alabama and Florida summers with temps in the mid-high 90s and high humidity in stop and go traffic. No sweating and normal oil temps. Check it out. The single compressor is fine and runs the whole system. Give Charlie a call and he will walk you through it. Spend the money once and forget it. I've had mine since 2008 and it works great. Once you cool the cabin down in about 10 minutes, you can reduce the temperature setting and fan speed to stay comfortable.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:22 PM
gdsgti
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pavegeno928 and 3.2 Targa, thank you for your sage guidance. As you might have guessed, I'm a techno neophyte. I will definitely reach out to Charlie. Thank you both again!

Last edited by gdsgti; 08-13-2020 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Incomplete
The following users liked this post:
Pavegeno928 (08-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Additional A/C Compressor for 1989 Targa