Foggy Guages

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Foggy Guages

The car is an '81 SC. The fuel/oil level guage and the oil press/oil temp guage kind of fog up sometimes. The tach, the speedo and the clock do not. Any experience with this situation?

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:34 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, mine does the same thing....so I guess I qualify as 'experienced'. but i really don't know why it happens. I have been told that it is usually caused by a leak at the bottom left corner of the windshield, but i have never seen any evidence of that in my car such as water inside the body.

Anybody else?
Old 04-14-2004, 12:37 PM
BHMSC
Instructor

My '80 SC does the same. I don't buy the windshield water leak explanation, however, because I can't even remember the last time my car was out in the rain.

Yeah, I know it's just a car but, when it rains or snows, I take the Audi.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:17 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought my 78 SC used in 84 and it has done it on rare occassions ever since. I have attributed it to moisture within the bonnet which is open to the backside of the instrument panel.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:16 PM
texasgooner
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had this thread during the winter. I had the same problem, no fix. Solution, wait till the weather warms up, it has, and they are fine now...
Old 04-14-2004, 09:33 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I understand the not buying the windshield leak, but it is moisture for sure. perhaps the windshield leaks into the trunk area, and goes from there. Question is, why not the other guages too? It is a puzzle. I fix mine the same way as everyone else....wait til it warms up.
I will say however, that there is a permanent slight fog on the inside of the glass now, i guess from the water evaporating and leaving minerals inside(?)
Oh. and I DO drive mine in the rain sometimes, and it does get worse when i do, esp in the spring and fall when cool.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:37 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Based soely upon my driving experiences, when it's colder and more humid (ie spring and fall nights, and caught in the rain) it happens. I agree with the above that indicate the bonnet as the culprit.
regards,
Steve
Old 04-14-2004, 11:53 PM
lewis9113.2
Instructor

It is odd that only a couple of gauges fog up but isn't it purley the fact that the fog appears due to the differences in temperature inside the cabin vis-a-vis outside temp?

I am pretty sure my car is leak free and even when not used for weeks after rain, on cold damp mornings, she's all foggy in the dials.

This winter (I am in New Zealand and winter is coming...) I will be pulling the gauge out to clean the glass and use the anti-fogger stuff like Rain-Ex......

Cheers
James
Old 04-15-2004, 09:29 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

My fuel/oil level gauge fogs up at times, I do not drive it in the rain, it is always parked in the garage when not used. It has done the fog deal since I got it in 97. It seems to happen when the outside humidity is higher than normal. I am begining to think that the cold air inside the gauge, forms condensation when the gauge electricals, warm up the gauge and the condensation forms. My gauge is clear at times, then fogs, other times it is already fogged up. Just glad it goes away after a short while.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:32 PM
art
Pro

I have this on my 914-6 also. I took apart the speedo for other reasons and cleaned the glass and now it is crystal clear. It was just dirty and foggy from the years. It was definitely worse on damp days and nights, but this car has not been wet for 10+ years so it is not leaking in from anywhere. I have not gotten around to the temp/fuel gauge yet.

When I had it apart I repainted the white ring that reflects the light onto the gauge face and that makes a really nice difference also.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:26 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Speaking of disassembling guages, does anyone have a home-made method of uncrimpinh/recrimping the bezel?
Old 04-15-2004, 04:37 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been loads of threads on this - we have to accept that it happens to nearly all the older 911s.

PJC
Old 04-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, everyone, for responding. I have to believe that there is some moisture in the two guages that *** and no moisture in the three that don't. I think I'll pull the two guages, remove the back-lighting bulbs, use a hair dryer to try to dry out the guage really well, reinstall the bulbs and make sure they are carefully seated. I'll let you know if it works.

Quick Reply: Foggy Guages