Just My Luck

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 01:56 PM
Red84Cab
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just My Luck

Team,
You have all been very gracious and supportive as I learn about my new to me 84 Cab. Over the weekend I took it to my Porsche guy and really got a punch in the nose.

I have been struggling with brakes sticking and pedals just not right.... He inspected and found the pedal box looking like it was at the bottom of the Atlantic. He showed it to me and OMG.... Rusted beyond repair. Everything he took aparts was pitted and destroyed. Replacement has been sourced. Additionally during the inspection, found pulled head stud on number 5. SO...... Engine coming out.
While he played with the pedal box, I removed the passenger side floor board to check for rust, etc. What I forgot to ask him was about a rectangular shaped opening I saw with nothing in it. I have looked at a few restoration videos and see that "something" should be there with a wiring connector going to it. My car has AC if it matters. (have not tried it). What goes in that spot?

During my own inspection, i noticed no hole in the tin on drivers side where O2 sensor wire should be. No O2 in the exhaust either. Appears exhaust has been replaced at some point. There is a plug of sorts in the sensor hole. Could it be this car was not equipped with O2?

I have done some reading and appears that Grey Market cars may not have O2's????? Can anyone advise based on the Vin? VIN# WP0ZZZ91ZES151188

All this has really put a short term damper on my initial ownership experience. BUT.... I am NOT giving up!

Old 08-08-2022, 02:48 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Sorry to hear of the problems. The head stud seems by far the most significant / costly.

My '85 USA does have an O2 sensor. I don't have any detailed knowledge of this, but my understanding is the same as yours - ROW cars had O2 sensors optional in that era. Some had them, some did not. The car is designed to work in either situation. I would have expected that importation to USA would have added one, but don't know. So in general, I would not worry about the O2 for now.

Pedal cluster is something that can be replaced. A general concern is why did it rust so badly. Being a cab, I guess if it were left outside with the top down during rains on a regular basis ... How was the interior? Trashed or brand new would point to that happening.

Completely separate thing you might want to look at, due to the rust problems in the pedal cluster - pull the battery out and check carefully for rust down in that area. Common problem on cars of this era - faulty voltage regulator would cause the battery to overcharge, spilling acid on a continual basis, rusting away the surface and structure below and around the battery.

Wishing you the best in all this. And when you're done, you'll have a great car.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:38 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

you have pics of the pedal cluster?
Old 08-08-2022, 07:04 PM
Red84Cab
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry. No pics with me on the pedal box.

Anyone have knowledge about the opening on passenger side firewall?
Old 08-08-2022, 08:20 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

What is inside your smugglers box? That’s the door in the floor of the front trunk to the left of the master cylinder. That’s where the AC evaporator goes, and it would be open to the passenger side footwell.

When you say pulled head stud, you mean broken? Most common on 3.0L cars but also turning up in the 3.2’s. Take the lower valve cover off and it just falls out.

Mark

Quick Reply: Just My Luck