Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 06:07 PM
TxTurboBill
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tweeters

I just purchased a 1988 Targa. It has 5-1/4” speakers in the front doors along with smaller grills above with no speakers behind them. I have searched all the speaker threads and I can’t find any mention of the size of high frequency speaker that will fit. Anybody know?
Old 08-15-2022, 01:59 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

There were never any tweeters in the doors from the factory. Someone tried to add them later. I think you'll just have to measure the opening and figure out what will fit. Is there wiring in there?

Mark
Old 08-15-2022, 10:40 AM
jcurcio
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TurboBill
I also have a recently purchased 88 and I have the same exact situation -- empty tweeter hole -- see pic. This is not aftermarket as yours look exactly like mine. I also searched threads somewhat and have not found definitive answer.

But after searching various sources (parts sources...and looking at other cars for sale), I am pretty this is the case: your car and mine look to have had the doors prepped from the factory for the 490 sound system option, but then the actual 490 system was not ordered/installed. Do you know what option codes you have? These are shown on sticker on underside of trunk lid. I do not have 490 but only 158 - Reno SQR 46.
For reference, see this car which DOES have 490 option and shows exact same tweeter grill.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-cabriolet-39/

I also have been searching for a tweeter speaker to add. In fact ALL of my speakers (big door speakers and rear speakers are original and rotted), so I have been trying to figure out best path to new speakers. The OEM rears are available from Porsche, but looks like the door speakers are not. The Suncoast option looks good to me, but the challenge will be that my doors (and I assume yours too) are not wired for tweeters. So I think rather than feed a new wire just for tweeter, simplest option might be to add a crossover, but I am not sure about that.
Below are some links FYI.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...=91164542100#a
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU964DRSPKR.html

my door:

Old 08-15-2022, 11:49 AM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Feeding a wire thru is not a big deal. I actually ran new wires on my 88 as the passenger wire was broken. I used the old wire as my pull wire for the new.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:49 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by jcurcio
TurboBill
I also have a recently purchased 88 and I have the same exact situation -- empty tweeter hole -- see pic. This is not aftermarket as yours look exactly like mine. I also searched threads somewhat and have not found definitive answer.
Thanks for correcting me, I didn't realize this was a factory option, I thought they were all aftermarket.

Mark
Old 08-15-2022, 09:04 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jcurcio
TurboBill

But after searching various sources (parts sources...and looking at other cars for sale), I am pretty this is the case: your car and mine look to have had the doors prepped from the factory for the 490 sound system option, but then the actual 490 system was not ordered/installed. Do you know what option codes you have? These are shown on sticker on underside of trunk lid. I do not have 490 but only 158 - Reno SQR 46.
For reference, see this car which DOES have 490 option and shows exact same tweeter grill.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-cabriolet-39/

I also have been searching for a tweeter speaker to add. In fact ALL of my speakers (big door speakers and rear speakers are original and rotted), so I have been trying to figure out best path to new speakers. The OEM rears are available from Porsche, but looks like the door speakers are not. The Suncoast option looks good to me, but the challenge will be that my doors (and I assume yours too) are not wired for tweeters. So I think rather than feed a new wire just for tweeter, simplest option might be to add a crossover, but I am not sure about that.
Below are some links FYI.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...=91164542100#a
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU964DRSPKR.html

my door:
I think you may need new lower speakers as well... is it me or are they supposed to look like that?
Old 08-16-2022, 10:21 AM
jcurcio
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct - rotted
Old 08-16-2022, 05:32 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

interesting. my old 89 had the whatever they called it hifi option with the Reno head unit, blaupunkt amp under the seat, rear deck has 4x6 speakers and front had a 5" and a 1" tweeter. the grill looked identical to above, the door had a crossover in it that fed the tweeter and midrange. The tweeters worked, but I replaced with a co-axial 2 way woofer and unhooked them.
seems as if Porsche may have just gone with 1 panel in some cases but didn't install the speakers, maybe in case of a dealer 'upgrade' at the time?
You could put anything back there that fits.
IIRC, my 964 had the same setup.

Quick Reply: Tweeters