Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

problem with fuelpomp and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 04:28 AM
patrick01
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with fuelpomp and other issues

Hi everyone, My Porsche fuel pump (1976 2.7 swap engine 3.0) sometimes goes out spontaneously. Fuel pump has been renewed. What I also notice is that the starter motor and handbrake tell-tale also do not work anymore then. The emergency services can't find it immediately either. I suspect a relay, but the relays in the fuse box are not about these items. Does anyone know where to look?
after fiddling with the fuse box wires and removing the relays, the car works again, but the problem is repeated. However, I think it is elsewhere.
Thanks and greeting from Holland
Old 08-30-2022, 01:28 PM
patrick01
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by patrick01
Hi everyone, My Porsche fuel pump (1976 2.7 swap engine 3.0) sometimes goes out spontaneously. Fuel pump has been renewed. What I also notice is that the starter motor and handbrake tell-tale also do not work anymore then. The emergency services can't find it immediately either. I suspect a relay, but the relays in the fuse box are not about these items. Does anyone know where to look?
after fiddling with the fuse box wires and removing the relays, the car works again, but the problem is repeated. However, I think it is elsewhere.
Thanks and greeting from Holland
I looked at the Batterie and found corrosion on it, cleaned everything, maybey this corrosion shuts down the power to the fuelpomp somethimes, lets wait and found out :-)
Old 08-30-2022, 10:11 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Most swaps have serious electrical issues because they are just not done to the standards that any car manufacturer builds a car to.

The fuel pump relays were a serious problem for many years. When they started to only sell Chinese made relays, the problem got worse. Always keep a spare fuel pump relay handy.
What do you mean regarding the handbrake?
Old 08-31-2022, 03:17 AM
patrick01
3rd Gear

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Houpty GT
Most swaps have serious electrical issues because they are just not done to the standards that any car manufacturer builds a car to.

The fuel pump relays were a serious problem for many years. When they started to only sell Chinese made relays, the problem got worse. Always keep a spare fuel pump relay handy.
What do you mean regarding the handbrake?
The conversion was made 11 years ago and works perfect.
Background information, i had earlier fout times that the problem occurs when the car was parked for a time after i drove it. But now the fuelpomp stops during driving. I have three relays, but they are all for other things the fusebox says. So i hope there's another hidden relay. What i mean with the handbreak, when it's on, there's a blinking light on my dashboard, so the fuelpomp, blinking handbreaklight and startmotor will not functioning with this problem i have sometimes. I hope this helps in solving this issue. Many thanks
Old 08-31-2022, 06:37 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I would rule out the battery... put a new one in.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:36 AM
Houpty GT
Racer

Mechanically, swaps have no problems. The problem is what you see now. You need to piece together electrical diagrams from 2 different repair manuals, a big reason no one here can help you easily. Most mechanics are going to turn you away since they are not interested in the headache of learning a lesson that only applies to one vehicle on the road. You are stuck fixing it yourself and finding bugs from the guy who pieced it together.

Please get a picture of the fuse panel in the trunk and a picture of the fuse panel in the engine bay.

Red relay is the Chinese fuel pump relay.

Quick Reply: problem with fuelpomp and other issues