New owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 06:30 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
id be looking closer here though
correct, thats the leak near nr6 cylinder. It leaks very very little, I’ve not yet seen a drop but it does look fresh. Everything up top is dry…so the only obvious culprit is a leaking valve rocker seal. It would be an engine out job, so I’ll keep monitoring that as I resolve the others. Others I plan to do with engine in situ next season, hoping it will not deteriorate too much until next winter or a builder doesn’t charge too much. It Will be some time until I gather the courage to do the other seals on my so maybe an engine builder job…haven’t decided yet.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:14 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,043 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_on_black
correct, thats the leak near nr6 cylinder. It leaks very very little, I’ve not yet seen a drop but it does look fresh. Everything up top is dry…so the only obvious culprit is a leaking valve rocker seal. It would be an engine out job, so I’ll keep monitoring that as I resolve the others. Others I plan to do with engine in situ next season, hoping it will not deteriorate too much until next winter or a builder doesn’t charge too much. It Will be some time until I gather the courage to do the other seals on my so maybe an engine builder job…haven’t decided yet.

well there is never anything "obvious" about 911 oil leaks.

FWIW i replaced all my rocker seals and new rockers with the engine in in an afternoon. I did have exhaust system off at the time so made it easier for the lowers.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:10 AM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

well there is never anything "obvious" about 911 oil leaks.
I will take that into account...

FWIW i replaced all my rocker seals and new rockers with the engine in in an afternoon. I did have exhaust system off at the time so made it easier for the lowers.
Impressive, looks very cramped... I have decided to be courageous based on all the DIY work everyone else is doing and ordered a seal for the camchain box, a new oil line for the tensioner (as that is sweating) and a new oil return tube between head and case as that seems to be heavily leaking and do these simple jobs myself. Hopefully not screw things up...
Old 03-17-2023, 12:46 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,043 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_on_black
I will take that into account...

Impressive, looks very cramped... I have decided to be courageous based on all the DIY work everyone else is doing and ordered a seal for the camchain box, a new oil line for the tensioner (as that is sweating) and a new oil return tube between head and case as that seems to be heavily leaking and do these simple jobs myself. Hopefully not screw things up...
im sure it will go great. may be a challenge getting som eof those lines off after do many years, but just be patient.
The following users liked this post:
Black_on_black (03-17-2023)

Quick Reply: New owner with a few questions