Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

80 SC Cam chain cover gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 02:46 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Tin went in without a hitch, must have been incorrectly installed by the previous owner.

Haven’t had time to mount the muffler and fill with oil but the rest is in, sorry for the hijack but here is something to aim for and if I can do it most diy-ers can

Old 04-10-2023, 03:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

this is a good thread .. yeah you may need that orange seal seen on the tensioner in the pics, plus a few crush washers when putting it all back together.

The updated tensioners are in fact the carrera tensioners put on earlier cars.

B&B i definitely would have pressure washed that mess before even starting you don't want oily crud falling in

did either of you consider changing the chain ramps while you were in there ? or didn't bother ?

Old 04-10-2023, 05:57 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

I did clean off all, well most, loose dirt before removing the lid and opening the engine, as much as I thought was relevant. One can open without things falling in, if the directions are right and there is plenty space. Not a huge fan of pressure washing engine bays, seems like a great way to push moisture into areas where it would not naturally reside and any small cracks in a rubber boot, grommet or gasket means water in places it should not be and may struggle to evaporate from. What is your experience?

The camera is also very mean when it comes to sharpness, it looks a lot worse in the photos than reality…

now…about those chain guides, please tell more? Is a wear and tear item to be changed every X miles or so?

Last edited by Black_on_black; 04-10-2023 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 10:24 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_on_black
I did clean off all, well most, loose dirt before removing the lid and opening the engine, as much as I thought was relevant. One can open without things falling in, if the directions are right and there is plenty space. Not a huge fan of pressure washing engine bays, seems like a great way to push moisture into areas where it would not naturally reside and any small cracks in a rubber boot, grommet or gasket means water in places it should not be and may struggle to evaporate from. What is your experience?

The camera is also very mean when it comes to sharpness, it looks a lot worse in the photos than reality…

now…about those chain guides, please tell more? Is a wear and tear item to be changed every X miles or so?

ive never had issues with my pressure washer .. but you bring up some good points, even just a regular hose with some citrus engine degreaser then a drive to drive her off would have made working on it much more pleasurable

The chain ramps aren't really a wear item , .. per se, but the chains do ride on them ... and they are right there when you have the cover off so i was just wondering. There is two bolts holding each one on ( you can see the bolts towards the centre of the engine beside the cover. 3 of the ramps are the same ( black ) and one is different ( brown) ,. there are two on each side of the engine , i cant remember where the brown one went.
Name:  tLlbsmb.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  267.9 KB

Last edited by theiceman; 04-11-2023 at 10:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Black_on_black (04-11-2023)

Quick Reply: 80 SC Cam chain cover gaskets