3.2 Targa vs 3.0 SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 01:41 AM
AceOfBlased
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2 Targa vs 3.0 SC

Hello everyone,
I've been searching for a semi-affordable classic Porsche 911 for ages and finally have two great options. The first is a 1985 3.2 Targa and the other is a 1982 3.0 SC Coupe. I saw a similar thread comparing the 3.2 Coupe with the 3.0 SC Coupe, which placed them at nearly equivalent, with the 3.2 slightly higher. I'm curious as to how the Targa compares. Both cars are in amazing condition and were owned by enthusiasts, so there are no major issues in that regard. The SC seems to be in slightly better condition than the Targa, which makes sense since it has around 30,000 less kilometers on it. The SC also has a whale tail spoiler on which is a nice plus in my opinion. This does seem to push in favor of the SC, but what's making me conflicted is that the SC is sitting at around $10k more than the Targa. I definitely like the look of the coupe a little more, but the Targa top option seems cool as well. I would love to get some opinions on which path seems preferable, as I really wouldn't mind going either route. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2023, 07:03 AM
Vane
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't want to offend the Targa, but compare carefully the beautiful lines of an air-cooled 911 Coupe.
I have a '85 911 coupe and never get tired to look at the beautiful lines regardless from what angle
you look at it. It's just a stunning looking car despite the age.
Check that the whale tail is accompanied with the correct front spoiler, these work together.
Old 12-09-2023, 10:51 AM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Vane
I don't want to offend the Targa, but compare carefully the beautiful lines of an air-cooled 911 Coupe.
I have a '85 911 coupe and never get tired to look at the beautiful lines regardless from what angle
you look at it. It's just a stunning looking car despite the age.
Check that the whale tail is accompanied with the correct front spoiler, these work together.
+1 re looking at it. I go out to my garage just about every night, sit down, and enjoy the looks of my 1985 coupe. I haven’t admitted this to anyone else because I figured people would think I was crazy, but I guess I can admit it here. Mike
The following 2 users liked this post by mk85911:
Edward (12-13-2023), oldskewel (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 11:40 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Even as a Targa owner, I do agree that I like the lines of the coupe better. I usually only drive when the weather is good enough to remove the top. I'm tall, and I think I have more headroom with the top on than I would with the coupe.

I'm sure the coupe is going to be tighter than the Targa.

Where do you live? How often do you have top-off weather? What colors are the two cars, and do you have a preference there?

I don't think 30K kilometers difference is that much in these cars, especially at their current age. But condition is important, and you could easily spend $10K getting the 1985 up to snuff depending on where it is lacking. Just rebuilding the Targa top is going to be around $1500.

Have you had a pre-purchase inspection? You absolutely need to make sure the SC has no broken head studs by removing the lower valve covers, unless there are receipts showing the originals have been replaced.

If you can share some photos, we might be able to spot other issues to consider.

Mark
Old 12-09-2023, 12:45 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 170 Likes on 121 Posts

most would say the 87-89 were the best of the G breed. If you do not care whether you get a targa or a coupe, buy the targa.
Old 12-09-2023, 06:13 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by AceOfBlased
Hello everyone,
I've been searching for a semi-affordable classic Porsche 911 for ages and finally have two great options. The first is a 1985 3.2 Targa and the other is a 1982 3.0 SC Coupe. I saw a similar thread comparing the 3.2 Coupe with the 3.0 SC Coupe, which placed them at nearly equivalent, with the 3.2 slightly higher. I'm curious as to how the Targa compares. Both cars are in amazing condition and were owned by enthusiasts, so there are no major issues in that regard. The SC seems to be in slightly better condition than the Targa, which makes sense since it has around 30,000 less kilometers on it. The SC also has a whale tail spoiler on which is a nice plus in my opinion. This does seem to push in favor of the SC, but what's making me conflicted is that the SC is sitting at around $10k more than the Targa. I definitely like the look of the coupe a little more, but the Targa top option seems cool as well. I would love to get some opinions on which path seems preferable, as I really wouldn't mind going either route. Thanks!
I've got both a cope and a targa

The targa is first choice for top down driving on a nice day, I use it 3xs as much as the coupe.

That said the logistics matter, I have a garage where I can park the cars w/o having to reinstall the top every day, Top comes off in April when I put the car on the road and goes back on in Dec when it comes off the road.

Generally I like tails on a 911 but there are exceptions, most SCs w/a tail use the 3.3 turbo "Teatray" tail which just looks wrong to me on the daintier SC chassis.

Here's a teatray on a 930 where it belongs

Here's an early "Whale tale' which looks much better on an SC

I prefer the ones w/o the second A/C grill like on the dark car
Old 12-09-2023, 07:56 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Targa vs Coupe?

Everyone will have their own preference. I've owned a 911 Cab and more recently an air cooled Targa ('87). Both absolutely wonderful cars.

When I was younger I always associated sports cars with being open cars. Maybe as Father Time has nudged me more, I've found that I don't value the open air experience as much as I used to.

So - it really would be up to the individual person based on what they are seeking and value.

I have an '88 911 coupe now that I am completely happy with. If I want more of an open air experience, I open the sunroof and that's perfect.

Photos below of my (former) '87 Targa, and my current '88 Coupe.

'87 3.2 Carrera Targa. 20k miles. Carmine Red.

'88 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Marine Blue. Fully restored.

Last edited by Ironman88; 12-09-2023 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2023, 08:03 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,133 Posts

One important point that I neglected to mention above - Coupe vs Targa-

The coupe structure / body feels significantly more structurally strong / unified than the body of the Targa - most specifically with the roof of the Targa removed. Big difference.

Drive both. And drive the Targa with the roof removed.

Old 12-09-2023, 11:26 PM
Tinkerer
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Apples to apples and the 3.2 is worth more. Body style is your choice
Old 12-10-2023, 03:41 PM
AceOfBlased
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, this was my first time using this forum, and all you have been nothing but helpful! I think I am going to go with the Targa just because the previous owner was a mechanic and I have more trust in the maintenance he's done. Thank you all so much for the help!
Old 12-10-2023, 04:41 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,587 Likes on 991 Posts

Hello everyone,
$10k more isn’t $10k lost, it’s just $10k tied up, which you will likely get back in the end.

Go for the SC. It has less miles, and you like the tail. Targa’s are cool - I had an 88 Targa - but coupe is lighter and lower center of gravity.
Old 12-10-2023, 06:51 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Hey everyone, this was my first time using this forum, and all you have been nothing but helpful! I think I am going to go with the Targa just because the previous owner was a mechanic and I have more trust in the maintenance he's done. Thank you all so much for the help!
Basing your decision on which has the best maintenance history is the correct way to decide. Both the 3.0 and the 3.2 are over 35 years old at this point so maintenance history is critical. If you want to see a good natured ribbing between the 3.0 and 3.2 owners, search for SCWDP on Pelican. It stands for SC World Domination Plot.

Personally I have no problem with the structural integrity of my targa. I don’t track the car. I also have two 911 coupes that I drive regularly so I have a fairly good comparison point. There are days in the spring and fall you’ll really appreciate driving the targa with the top off. Opening the sunroof on my coupes is not even close to the same thing as the targa open air feel.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:26 PM
Tinkerer
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Basing your decision on which has the best maintenance history is the correct way to decide. Both the 3.0 and the 3.2 are over 35 years old at this point so maintenance history is critical. If you want to see a good natured ribbing between the 3.0 and 3.2 owners, search for SCWDP on Pelican. It stands for SC World Domination Plot.

Personally I have no problem with the structural integrity of my targa. I don’t track the car. I also have two 911 coupes that I drive regularly so I have a fairly good comparison point. There are days in the spring and fall you’ll really appreciate driving the targa with the top off. Opening the sunroof on my coupes is not even close to the same thing as the targa open air feel.
never heard of SCWDP before and without spending much time looking through the 500 posts I’m guessing they’re 3.2 WANNABE’s LOL
Old 12-10-2023, 11:07 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
never heard of SCWDP before and without spending much time looking through the 500 posts I’m guessing they’re 3.2 WANNABE’s LOL
LOL. Something like that.
We’ve joked with each other for over 20 years. I even have a few SCWDP shirts. Look at this guy’s personalized plate.

Or perhaps a SCWDP engine lid badge.

Last edited by autobonrun; 12-10-2023 at 11:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tinkerer (12-14-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 02:44 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Congratulations! We're going to need to see some photos when you get the car. There are a lot of quirks to owning and maintaining an air-cooled 911, we can help with that too. Even basic stuff, like how to check oil level and the operation of the ventilation system. Also the inevitable repair questions.

Mark

Quick Reply: 3.2 Targa vs 3.0 SC