Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1982 Porsche 911SC soft ticking sound when moving, not idling

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 03:04 PM
francesconyc
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question 1982 Porsche 911SC soft ticking sound when moving, not idling

I just noticed a ticking, of more of a flip flip flip, soft sounds that I can hear only when moving. it accelerates as the car goes faster and vice versa. it only happens when moving.
When idle, the engine sounds as it should for a 40+ yrs old. No strange noise. The previous owner had replaced gaskets, and valve covers I think, and it has always serviced the car with a lot of care.

At first, I thought it must be something to do with a rear tire tire because the frequency feels something that goes at the same pace as one cycle of the tire.
Can it be something to do with brakes? I even thought it could be something stuck on the tire.

Anyway, I'll try to make a video. I drove 200 miles and the car is great. And honestly, I don't even notice it anymore because of the engine's loud sound itself. but I'm curious to know my car better.

Old 02-07-2024, 04:29 AM
Vane
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Perhaps you find it, if you jack up each wheel and rotate by hand? When you find it, hopefully from one wheel, you can investigate further.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:02 AM
rowingone
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be wheel bearings or even a stone in the tread.
Old 02-07-2024, 11:48 AM
francesconyc
Instructor

yeah I haven't had time yet, but I will follow your suggestions that seems pretty easy to test

Old 02-07-2024, 12:35 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 353 Posts

i had an 82 SC for 18 years. i noticed what you're talking about a few times while driving slowly through the neighborhood. i think it's the odometer.
The following users liked this post:
robtgreenberg (02-11-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 01:36 PM
francesconyc
Instructor

ooh interesting, I will keep an eye (or better ear) on that... yeah it feels very soft, and it blends with all the other louder sound when above 3,00rpm
Old 02-07-2024, 09:02 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

How are the CV boots, and how many miles are on the CV joints?
Is there any excessive play on the rear axles when the rear wheels are off the ground?
Old 02-07-2024, 11:10 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jfischet
i had an 82 SC for 18 years. i noticed what you're talking about a few times while driving slowly through the neighborhood. i think it's the odometer.
There is a counter installed on the back of the speedometer that measures 30k mile increments to trigger the OXS replacement warning light.
jfischet (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 04:36 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC
How are the CV boots, and how many miles are on the CV joints?
Is there any excessive play on the rear axles when the rear wheels are off the ground?
This would be the first thing I would look at.

3,000 rpm is a fairly high threshold for drowning out of the sound. A few other preliminary things to "check" would be:
  • Can you hear this sound in multiple gears (i.e., first and second) and also reverse? Also, if you put the car in neutral and coast, do you still hear the sound?
  • Try to get a feel for which side the noise seems to be coming from, then swap your wheels left to right (assuming the tire treads are not directional) and see if that makes any difference
  • grab the top of each wheel and try to push it in and out firmly to get an initial indication of loose wheel bearings
Given that it is a soft sound, it is probably not a major issue yet, but it is a sound I have not noticed on my own '85, so it is probably something that you eventually want to solve.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:40 PM
francesconyc
Instructor

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll try to troubleshoot this weekend. for sure it's not the engine in neutral/idle position even when revving, and pushing the throttle i don't hear it.
all the other suggestions around wheels, axles, tachometer or odometer (anything that rotates!) seem plausible

will keep you posted
Old 02-10-2024, 06:23 PM
francesconyc
Instructor

UPDATE:

after driving today in a quite part of the city, and moving my head in different positions, opening windows etc
I certainly feel the noise is coming from the front/dash, not the rear or outside.
it does feel like a soft clock-y mechanical thing
I believe the Odotometer suggestion maybe a good one... which means I will get used to it and be fine...
jfischet (02-11-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 09:10 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Remove the speedometer and take it for a drive to see if the noise is still there.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:45 PM
robtgreenberg
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odometer

Originally Posted by jfischet
I have the same issue with my 1982 911SC. My mechanic thinks that it is coming from the odometer but recommended turning the radio up a little. That worked!
jfischet (02-11-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 12:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Remove the speedometer and take it for a drive to see if the noise is still there.
lol exactly what i thought .. but i think you have to pull the wheel to get that out, be very careful doing this. Windshields are expensive.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:25 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 172 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by francesconyc
I just noticed a ticking, of more of a flip flip flip, soft sounds that I can hear only when moving. it accelerates as the car goes faster and vice versa. it only happens when moving.
When idle, the engine sounds as it should for a 40+ yrs old. No strange noise. The previous owner had replaced gaskets, and valve covers I think, and it has always serviced the car with a lot of care.

At first, I thought it must be something to do with a rear tire tire because the frequency feels something that goes at the same pace as one cycle of the tire.
Can it be something to do with brakes? I even thought it could be something stuck on the tire.

Anyway, I'll try to make a video. I drove 200 miles and the car is great. And honestly, I don't even notice it anymore because of the engine's loud sound itself. but I'm curious to know my car better.
Coast with the engine off and see if the sound is still there, COULD be dry cv joints

Quick Reply: 1982 Porsche 911SC soft ticking sound when moving, not idling