Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 09:08 AM
CarreraAG
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Level

All,

I know this has been discussed to death so I apologize but I can't find a specific answer on what I need to know and I want to make sure I am not crazy.

I am a new owner and I did my first oil change 2 weeks ago - sump and reservoir drained then filled with 9.75 qts but I have 2 questions:
1. How much oil should register on the dipstick when dead cold? I show about an 1/8"
2. It's still not that warm in New England so when I drove the car to work today it was about 40 degrees, The car never got above 1/4 on the temp gauge, at that engine temp the oil level gauge stays in the red when driving/ just above red at idle and I read at the lower dot on the dipstick at idle. Should I expect that? Should I be checking the level when the engine is at a higher temp? I know from reading the dipstick should be your bible for oil level not the oil level gauge but is is a bit unnerving that it is in the red when I driving on the highway. I don't want to add more and overfill if it is going to expand more at a higher engine temp.

Thanks guys,
Andy

Last edited by CarreraAG; 03-14-2024 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-2024, 04:26 PM
28gts
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Andy,

the level will always show „empty“ when driving. Only when the engine is hot (full operating temperature) and car is idling you can get a proper reading.

Don‘t worry, there‘s plenty oil in your tank. Don‘t fill it to the max mark. When it‘s hot and idling it shouldn‘t be higher than half way.

best regards from Germany
Tim
The following users liked this post:
sithot (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 05:00 PM
CarreraAG
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!
Old 03-15-2024, 03:03 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 28gts
Hi Andy,

the level will always show „empty“ when driving. Only when the engine is hot (full operating temperature) and car is idling you can get a proper reading.

Don‘t worry, there‘s plenty oil in your tank. Don‘t fill it to the max mark. When it‘s hot and idling it shouldn‘t be higher than half way.

best regards from Germany
Tim
I'll also add the car needs to be level to get a good reading in addition to the other (accurate) points.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:46 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Hot idle (about 180f), at 50% fill (on dipstick and/or level gauge).

This gives you plenty of expansion when it gets hotter.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:00 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,043 Likes on 742 Posts

oil expansion to 80-90c is about .5 litre on a full 10 litres, so really isn't in play , or at least is not a major factor why you warm up the engine.

Its important to note that this is a dynamic oil level check , not a static one. The reason you have the engine warmed up is to make sure the thermostats are open and the oil is flowing through the system to get the correct reading.

Also " having to check when its at 80C About 176F " is complete BS. that means i would never be able to check my oil level between November and April in Canada and i'm pretty sure Porsche never intended that ... After a while you will earn your car and know where it should be for what ambient. I certainly don't fill it in cold weather even when " warmed up" when i know the external stat isn't open as my car is not hitting anywhere near the required temp for a correct hot reading.

That said i have noticed that my car never sits in the red when cruising at a constant speed on the highway. As pointed out its not a valid check anyway , but i just kind of noticed if i'm doing a steady speed , say on the highway, my oil level in the car does read correctly, anyone else notice this ?

When i first got my car i got a replacement oil level sender and "matched " dipstick ..

Interesting that the full mark is lower on the newer dipstick. It matched perfectly with the gauge and i always fill to the max and never had a single issue with overfilling in over 16 years of driving it .

Last edited by theiceman; 03-18-2024 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:50 PM
Martin Nedom
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarreraAG
All,

I know this has been discussed to death so I apologize but I can't find a specific answer on what I need to know and I want to make sure I am not crazy.

I am a new owner and I did my first oil change 2 weeks ago - sump and reservoir drained then filled with 9.75 qts but I have 2 questions:
1. How much oil should register on the dipstick when dead cold? I show about an 1/8"
2. It's still not that warm in New England so when I drove the car to work today it was about 40 degrees, The car never got above 1/4 on the temp gauge, at that engine temp the oil level gauge stays in the red when driving/ just above red at idle and I read at the lower dot on the dipstick at idle. Should I expect that? Should I be checking the level when the engine is at a higher temp? I know from reading the dipstick should be your bible for oil level not the oil level gauge but is is a bit unnerving that it is in the red when I driving on the highway. I don't want to add more and overfill if it is going to expand more at a higher engine temp.

Thanks guys,
Andy
The instrument on the dashboard that indicates oil level will be accurate if the oil temperature is at 180 degrees or higher. At that juncture you can see the corresponding reading on the dipstick. I remember that Jim Wellington drove an air cooled Porsche from Palo Alto to San Jose on a cool spring morning and the oil temp remained very low. Remember that your oil is passing through a cooling system.
CarreraAG (04-08-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 09:34 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,043 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Nedom
The instrument on the dashboard that indicates oil level will be accurate if the oil temperature is at 180 degrees or higher. At that juncture you can see the corresponding reading on the dipstick. I remember that Jim Wellington drove an air cooled Porsche from Palo Alto to San Jose on a cool spring morning and the oil temp remained very low. Remember that your oil is passing through a cooling system.
yup .. try Canada at -10C lol ..
Old 04-06-2024, 08:55 AM
FA18C
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a lot of oil in these cars. I only check above 190 and as stated, flat surface at idle. I target about 1/4 to 1/3 between low and max on the dipstick. This puts my about the same on the gauge. As it comes done with running the car over the miles, I have found that min to my target is maybe 1/4 qt or so, and equate to 275-400 miles (depending on how hard I drive).
CarreraAG (04-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Oil Level