Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bad Turn Signal Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 02:44 PM
Hogbus
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Turn Signal Switch

Hello! I have been helping my neighbor with her 82 SC. We have been told the turn signal switch needs to be replaced, have not done that yet. However the car is starting to cut out some, mainly when I activate the turn signals. Tach goes down, warning lights come on, and the engine cuts out for just a moment. I also catch a whiff of an electrical smell. It’s not all the time, just random. Is it possible the bad switch is causing that? I have been searching online without much luck! Thanks!
Old 03-25-2024, 07:52 PM
geo87
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue. I thought that the notorious headlight switch was the problem.
I changed out the turn signal switch and all is well. There must be a symbiotic relationship between the all of the wiring.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:09 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogbus
Hello! I have been helping my neighbor with her 82 SC. We have been told the turn signal switch needs to be replaced, have not done that yet. However the car is starting to cut out some, mainly when I activate the turn signals. Tach goes down, warning lights come on, and the engine cuts out for just a moment. I also catch a whiff of an electrical smell. It’s not all the time, just random. Is it possible the bad switch is causing that? I have been searching online without much luck! Thanks!
start with new switch and headlight relays ..

do not install the new switch without relays would be my recommendation.

Old 03-26-2024, 02:44 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

The turn signal / high beams switch (and also the wiper switch) are known weak points on these cars. I replaced both on my '85 many years ago.

If you take the turn signal switch apart, you'll see bendable copper contacts in there. They can get dirty, bent, deformed, etc. I think I tried to clean and shape mine back into form, but probably failed and went for the replacement. But some people with more skill and patience do tune theirs up (this is all from memory about 20 years ago).

I think I remember the main symptom I had was that the headlights stopped working. And the only lighting I could get was to pull and hold the stalk in the "flash high beams" position rather than to push and click it into the high-beams position. That of course elevated the priority of getting a fix here.

As @theiceman says, relays are another issue, easier to swap, and cheaper too, so checking / replacing those first makes sense. I'm still on my originals there.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:54 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oldskewel
The turn signal / high beams switch (and also the wiper switch) are known weak points on these cars. I replaced both on my '85 many years ago.

If you take the turn signal switch apart, you'll see bendable copper contacts in there. They can get dirty, bent, deformed, etc. I think I tried to clean and shape mine back into form, but probably failed and went for the replacement. But some people with more skill and patience do tune theirs up (this is all from memory about 20 years ago).

I think I remember the main symptom I had was that the headlights stopped working. And the only lighting I could get was to pull and hold the stalk in the "flash high beams" position rather than to push and click it into the high-beams position. That of course elevated the priority of getting a fix here.

As @theiceman says, relays are another issue, easier to swap, and cheaper too, so checking / replacing those first makes sense. I'm still on my originals there.
The car never came with relays, they run the entire headlight current through the switch , that is why he smelled burning . the plunger is likely melting in the contacts, next issue will be hi/lo beam issues.

the relays have to be added to the system

read this thread, there is some good info here on it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ir-thread.html
Old 03-27-2024, 01:14 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

OK then I'm still on my original lack of having lighting relays. Nothing has blown up yet. Thanks for the lead though - I do believe they will be a good addition one day.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oldskewel
OK then I'm still on my original lack of having lighting relays. Nothing has blown up yet. Thanks for the lead though - I do believe they will be a good addition one day.
yeah usually " one day" is the day after your first switch melts lol.
The following users liked this post:
rstarga (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 05:14 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Cheaper to add relays now than pay $500+ for a new switch.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rstarga
Cheaper to add relays now than pay $500+ for a new switch.
yup .. gets real expensive once the magic smoke that makes everything works escapes.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:27 PM
Hogbus
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! Yes, the high beams are on all the time now. But, I never drive it at night!! LOL

I guess I will just see if she wants to go ahead and spend the $500

Last edited by Hogbus; 04-02-2024 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hogbus
Thank you! Yes, the high beams are on all the time now. But, I never drive it at night!! LOL

I guess I will just see if she wants to go ahead and spend the $500
yup she's melted, my buddy had this and believe me it is super annoying even in the day ...

Quick Reply: Bad Turn Signal Switch